Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 09-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

wkft's and Sam Wilson's (Kdawg, too!) Reviews 9-21-06

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

Not a bad week this week, from DC we have Birds of Prey, Catwoman, and Checkmate, books which feature the baddest ass women in the DCU. Then from Marvel we FINNALY have Civil War #4 (yay), Howard Chaykin penciling Blade, Iron Man, the new Union Jack limited series and everyone’s favorites agents of HATE, Nextwave. My pick of the week this week is Civil War #4 , and that being said, on to the reviews…

Union Jack #1 (of 4)
Marvel
Written by: Christios Gage
Penciler: Mike Perkins
Cover by: Mike Perkins

Marvel Comic’s current Union Jack is the third person to carry that mantle (the first two belonging to the Montgomery family), a working class son of a shipbuilder who goes by the name of Joseph Chapman. Like the other Union Jacks, Brian Montgomery dons a bullet-resistant costume and carries a silver-edged dagger to deal with the supernatural, and a Welby .455 pistol. Union Jack is a member of the Knights of Pendragon and the moder day incarnation of the Invaders, and recently has been seen in pages of Captain America, working for MI 5 helping cap prevent terrorist attacks in Britain. He is also partnering with Spitfire, one of his teammates from the New Invaders and his former girlfriend. Today Union Jack is still fighting terrorist who wish Britain ill will, and leads a ragtag group of international heroes/secret agents in his battle against tyranny. Siding with Jack against evil are Sabra, the Israeli super-agent remade for 2006, a new Arabian Knight and one of my favorite (and one of the hottest) Marvel C list characters, Nick Fury’s old girl friend the Countess Valentina Allegro DeFontaine, aka Val (representing SHIELD). Their first mission: stop RAID (the new AIM) from wrecking havoc on London. Oh yeah, it’s on…

Issue one starts out typically, the team is assembled, some members don’t really get along (Zarba and the Arabian Knight, shocking I know) but then jumps right into it. First on the teams list of RAID agents to take out, Zaran and Machete, who are sometime buddies of Bartoc the Leaper (and all of them are sometime D list foes of Captain America). Even though Marvel is parading around a gaggle of C and D list characters, this book really clicks. The action from the get go is clichéd but fairly cool. It’s great to see some classic characters kicking ass (Val gets to do her Chow Yun Fat impersonation). My one complaint, Christios Gage doesn’t real hit the British Dialect that well, but it’s aiight. He only slipped a couple of times (I doubt Brits say “aint” very often). This book is definitely remaining on my pull listed for the duration of the series, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone, especially those with some old school love in their hearts.

Birds of Prey #98
DC Comics
Written by: Gail Simone
Drawn by: James Raiz
Cover by: Jerry Ordway

For those of you who haven’t been paying attention, let me fill you in on what’s been happening recently in “Birds of Prey”. Our team currently consists of Black Canary (Dinah Lance), Huntress (Helena Bertanelli), Lady Black Hawk (Zinda Blake) and Oracle (Barbara Gordon). Once based out of Gotham, now the ladies are based out of Metropolis, but are mostly mobile in a spiffy Jumbo Jet/Headquarters. Black Canary just got finished with some weird exchange program with Lady Shiva, which she opted out of early and Lady Shiva is now in cahoots with the bad guys again, Barbara Gordon is showing some side effects from being infected by Brainiac but is pretty much her old self. The Huntress and Zinda Blake are still both hot and like to hurt people, all is pretty much well in the world of the Birds. No, the whole Nightwing proposing to Barbara during “Infinite Crisis” hasn’t been dealt with yet, and I don’t know if it ever will be but who cares really, “Birds of Prey”, even though currently lacking in the art department is still one of the best books out there that not enough people are reading, and issue #98 kicks off a brand new storyline…

Issue #98 opens up with an old enemy of the Huntress getting out of jail and looking for revenge (in a most nasty “Kill Bill” kind of way). Meanwhile, the Huntress, Black Canary and Oracle debate the pros and cons of adopting Sin, the little girl Canary rescued from Lady Shiva’s village. All this and a new Batgirl is prowling Gotham (no, not the lesbian Batwoman who recently showed up in “52”) and Oracle sends the team out to figure out who she is. Yes, the birds are back and better than ever, Gail Simone is on the ball as usual, even though the art is fairly “blah” (I miss Ed Benes, you would think they would have a top tier penciller on this book. Oh well…). So pick this book up, the I’m sure will improve and like I’ve said before, BOP is probably the best Bat-title no one is reading.

Wktf’s Reviews

The big event this week, of course, is Civil War #4 with the promise of Thor’s return, a death, a funeral, and some changing of side. The fan boards lit up pretty fast after this issue hit the stands and opinions are strong as well as divided. As a result, I’ll probably take heat from some for making this my pick of the week, but I am, it is, and I’m sticking with it. Great issue! Another issue of note is the Marvel Spotlight issue focusing on Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, containing full-length interviews with Stan and Lisa Kirby.

Civil War #4
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mark Millar
Drawn by: Steve McNiven

This series is everything House of M should have been. Everything about it seems ground shaking and real. Not to mention extremely well thought out and crafted. Like I said. I won’t go into the background on this series as I sometimes do. As I noted above, people’s feelings seem pretty divided, mostly because of Thor and the death in this issue which some felt was pointless. But I thought the whole thing was incredibly solid and exciting. Here’s why.

Was I disappointed in the reveal on Thor? Big time. But the whole thing makes complete sense in the context of what Iron Man and his crew are trying to do. And the lengths that they went to where Thor is concerned, coupled with the lengths to which they are about to go with Reed’s new Thunderbolts team show a level of desperation and sheer stupidity (the same stupidity that caused Reed to lose touch with his family in his nose dive into Iron Man’s cause) that makes choosing a side in this conflict that much easier. I mean, can anyone possibly think this new Thunderbolts team has anything but extreme disaster spelled all over it? But, back to Thor, I was pleasantly surprised to read Yellow Jacket’s questioning why Thor would kill a man, and his reference to Donald Blake and Jake Olson. This tells me that Millar is a student of Dan Jurgens’ “Lord Thor” and how, as we learned then, the earthbound element is so important to Thor’s soul and sanity.

On to the other heroes, there were some great moments on both sides all the way around. Members of Cap’s team lose faith in what they perceive as his antiquated values, mistaking them for fear, while Iron Man’s side faces desertion as well resulting from Thor’s behavior and the ensuing shocking result. Spider-Man no longer needs to further question Stark’s plan and it seems Yellow Jacket is moving that way, too. Hercules and The Falcon pulled Cap’s team’s fat out of the fire. But the big hero this issue is The Invisible Woman. Sue, you always were the most powerful member of the FF and, this issue, you proved it in more ways than one. Her shock over the carnage at first and the brutal killing that follows, her act of defiance on the field of battle against her team mates, and her wonderfully conflicted message to Reed, makes her the real hero of this story. What a great but sad issue for Sue. And cool touch, by the way, on McNiven’s part, putting a flame and invisible umbrella over Johnny and Sue, respectively, as they’re exiting the Baxter Building.

Thinking back to Thor one last time, Marvel has already announced that JMS and Olivier Copiel will take the reigns of the character’s relaunch and have referenced JMS’ FF Mjolnir story in the announcement. What is that story’s relation to this one? Don’t know. And who was the masked, blue eyed stranger on the fire escape outside Cap’s secret HQ? Don’t know that either. But I’m dying to find out the answer to both.

Blade #1
Marvel Comics
Written by: Marc Guggenheim
Drawn by: Howard Chaykin

I was a huge Tomb of Dracula fan back in high school and a huge fan of Blade, the most flamboyant and dramatic vampire hunter in the series. He teamed up with Quincy Harker’s band, with his arsenal of wooden daggers, but never was part of them, often preferring to work alone but offering assistance to anyone fighting for his cause. The Wesley Snipes films brought Blade to prominent public attention and, in the comics, the character became patterned off of Snipe’s sword wielding loner image. I never much went for this take on the character and am happy to see, with this new series, he’s as least part way back to his old ways.

Clearly this book seeks to integrate the vampire slayer into the Marvel Universe. Recently, Blade joined forces with The Black Panther, Luke Cage and Brother Voodoo to battle an army of vampires in flood stricken New Orleans. But now Blade’s fighting not only Dracula, himself, but also a newly inflicted Spider-Man and teaming up with SHIELD. His encounters with Dracula and Spider-Man are all-too brief. Dracula was never so easy a target for Blade before and no explanation is given for Peter’s new undead state and we’re just to trust that his radioactive blood will cure him of his new condition. His relationship with SHIELD brings him into contact with hundreds of vampires where you’d almost least expect to find them and, sure enough, in addition to his wooden knives he’s got plenty of silver bullets and other nifty gadgets to keep more modern Blade fans happy. Also, we get another (well, another for those of us who know already) look at his ghastly origin at the hands of Deacon Frost, the white haired vampire from Tomb of Dracula who looks much younger in this flashback.

Guggenheim gives us a fast paced story with plenty of twists and a confusing surprise at the end. Chaykin is no stranger to vampire comics, currently working on DC’s Bite Club and being the author of the controversial Black Kiss. This series is off to a fun and solid start and I, for one, am glad to see this daywalking vampire slayer back in comics full-time, for now at least.

Astonishing X-Men #17
Marvel Comics
Written by: Joss Whedon
Drawn by: John Cassaday

The last couple of issues the Astonishing X-Men have had their heads handed to them. The Hellfire Club returned with a vengeance with Cassandra Nova, Prof. X’s twin sister, hell-bent in search of …well…something. The principal catalyst for their downfall, though, was Emma who seemingly under pressure from Shaw left Cyclops comatose while Cassandra and crew left Colossus unconscious, Beast a monster preying on deer, and Wolverine acting like a little child. Kitty Pryde took it to Emma last issue, trapping her deep underground, only to return and face…The White Queen? Her reaction, having left Emma buried, was an understandable “YeahbuhWhat?!”

I can’t explain the dual Emma’s but I think that explanation’s coming. But Kitty, caught in the White Queen’s brain trap, delivered Cassandra just what she wanted. Now, I may not be too up on my X-lore because I don’t have a clue what this disgusting thing was that she so dearly coveted and claimed to be trapped in. But just when it seems things can’t get any worse for the X-Men we have a few incidents of resurgent hope. Wolverine’s return is hilariously staged but it’s Cyclops who has the Sue Richard’s moment from Civil War. Go get ‘em, Cyke! You da man! If Danger and Ord don’t take out the newly unconscious Cyclops first, that is. And who’d have thought Lockheed would be in league with…well, I don’t mean to spoil anything.

One thing’s for sure, the next issue looks like major, screaming retribution for the X-Men. I keep talking about how great Ed Brubaker’s Daredevil and Captain America are but I don’t mean to leave out Whedon and Cassaday’s Astonishing X-Men. This is a book that knows how to laugh at itself (check out this issue’s cover) while delivering some of the best stories, art and action of nearly any book on the market.

Guest Review! Kdawg59

Wolverine # 46
Marvel Comics
Written by: Marc Guggenheim
Drawn by: Humberto Ramos

This issue continues Wolverines journey into his own little corner of the civil war around the marvel universe and without question this is the best issue in this entire run for Guggenheim and Ramos.

When last we left off, Wolverine had handed the super villian Nitro (the bastard who started the whole civil war event) to Namor and the kingdom of Atlantis for crimes against the royal family. In case someone doesn't know, part of Nitro blowing up and killing over 600 people in Stamford Connecticut, was taking Namor's cousin Namorita's life.

Wolverine tracked down Nitro and found out Namor was tracking him too. Battle ensues, eventual team up, and reconciliation. During this mess Wolverine discovers that Nitro was using MGH (mutant growth hormone) which amps up the powers of those already powered and actual gives powers to those who have none. At the end of last issue he learns who the MGH supplier is and that brings us to this issue...

Wolverine is the best at what he does. For years unfortunately we HAVE NOT seen Wolvie being the best at anything. In my opinion as of this issue that is over. Wolverine used to be a spy and a damn good one who was involved in black ops and covert stealth missions. We hardly ever see this side of Wolvie anymore and in this issue, we really see the man getting back to that as he takes down all aspects of those responsible for supplying the MGH to villians so that super-powered battle can increase capital flow to the company cleaning up the damage.

Yep that's right, Damage Control is making a killing off supers fighting and demolishing property. Wolverine isn't happy and wants to end it all and kill Damage Control's capitalization on war profiteering.

Wolverine is "up to his neck" in well executed action and dialogue in this issue including a great exchange between himself, Emma, and Scott and a guest appearance by Forge. He single-handedly becomes a very real threat to the very existence of Damage Control by doing what he does best... being sneaky and kicking ass.

I cannot wait to see what happens next as we are left with a "cliffhanger" that makes me "lose my head" with anticipation

This is great Wolverine right here folks... you should be reading.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:42 AM   #2
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Trade Reviews: Pride of Baghdad

We haven’t done two reviews for the same book since DC put out its recent HC edition of Batman: Year One. With last week’s Pride of Baghdad, though, we found a work that was so powerful and special we both wanted to review it. So here are two perspectives.

Sam Wilson’s Review

Pride of Baghdad
DC/Vertigo Comics
Written by: Brian K Vaughn
Drawn by: Niko Henrichon

One doesn’t think too much of collateral damage when it comes to war. Who are the faceless innocents who live within bombing zones and areas of intense combat? When we see news about a bomb finding its target on CNN, but killing a wife and two kids at the same time, do we have faces? Currently in Iraq, US forcers are there right now “liberating” the populace. Do we have a face for those whom we are liberating? What do they look like, where do they come from, where have they been? What are their hopes and dreams? I couldn’t tell you. I never bothered to find out. In his own way, writer Brian K. Vaughn (you know, that guy who does “Runaways”, “Y the Last Man” and “Ex-Machina”) has done that for us in his anthropomorphic tale “Pride of Baghdad”, a story of a pride (group) of lions who were set free from the Baghdad Zoo during the initial invasion of US forces on Iraq back in 2003.

Vaughn’s “Pride” consists of Zill (the Alpha Male), Safa (the old woman), Ali (the cub) and Noor (his mother, and a bit of a revolutionary). Safa is a bit war torn and beat up, she is bitter at the hardships she had to suffer in “the wild”, so she is glad to be in captivity and relatively well taken care of. Noor was young when she was taken into captivity, and “the wild” is still a romanticized ideal for her, she plots with the other Zoos animals (to no avail) to escape and become wild once again. Ali pretty much is fascinated by everything and does what he is told, and Zill would rather have others work for him than engage in any hard work himself. Then the sky falls (well, bombs fall anyway) and suddenly the pride find themselves free. Or are they? They are free from the Zoo, but they are not free from man, and as they adventure through Baghdad the differences between freedom, captivity and on a greater scale man and animal are grayed all to hell and what unfolds is really quite beautiful.

“Pride of Baghdad” is not a children’s fable, not by a long shot. It is a blunt, hard-hitting wartime tale dealing with adult topics and adult subject matter. Yes, through the eyes and perspective of animals, but again, it’s a metaphor. If you can handle dudes in tights saving the world then talking lions aren’t to far of a leap. This book needs to be read, it doesn’t matter what side of the political spectrum you fall on, it doesn’t matter if you are for or against the US invasion of Iraq, this book offers a unique perspective that needs to be experienced rather than lectured on, and if you are someone who cares about war and freedom and the fight for freedom, read this. It’s not easy to swallow and it may even make things less clear, but that is the beauty in it. Freedom is an ideal, but having it and achieving it rarely fall under ideal conditions. That’s what I took out of this book, and it’s up to you to take what you can out of it. “Pride of Baghdad” is readily in print and available for $24.99.

Wktf’s Review

Pride of Baghdad OGN
DC/Vertigo Comics
Written by: Brian K. Vaughan
Art by: Niko Henrichon

I’ve never been a big fan of Brian K. Vaughan but that’s not because I don’t like his work. It’s because I’ve never really read his work. I’ve never read Y: The Last Man (despite the heapings of praise I’ve read about that comic), Ex Machina or Runaways. But, having read Pride of Baghdad Brian K. Vaughan can claim me as another of his legion of fans. I first learned about this OGN from reading a Sunday NYTimes article about Vaughan in the Arts Section just a couple of weeks ago and have been looking forward to its release since. Not only was I not disappointed I can truly say I’ve had my eyes opened in more ways than one.

To the plot: In the spring of 2003, a pride of lions escape from the Baghdad Zoo during an American bombing raid. Amidst a huge cacophony of destruction and death, brutal death, these lions make their way onto the streets of Baghdad to what they perceive as their freedom. The ages of these lions rang from that of a young cub to his young, strong mother, to his slightly older father to their far older female companion. And all of them have varying opinions of the freedom into which they’re about to embark. What starts as a gift horse in the mouth soon turns into a desperate struggle for food, shelter and their very lives. In fact, this graphic novel raises some serious questions about the nature of freedom…can it simply be taken, as the male Zill insists, must it be earned as his mate, Noor, insists, and is it even worth the risk, as the aged one-eyed Safa questions…as well as questions about the fleeting, fickle nature of love, family and relationships. These lions turn on each other as readily as they comfort each other. The randomness of death during Operation Iraqi Freedom is all around them as they move through these killing streets dodging one hazard for a more dangerous one.

As we grow to know and respect this pride, and the inexorably heartbreaking and devastating conclusion becomes more and more obvious, we begin to experience the pointless losses this invasion created. And that’s probably the point of this work. Do these lions serve as a metaphor for the Iraqi people or is the story theirs alone? Probably both, and the beauty of art is you’re free to interpret it however you want. But if we push on the metaphor of this pride as the Iraqi people there is no clear answer as to whether they were better off “caged” by Saddam before the American bombing or “free” as the American soldiers described these lions at the terrible end of this tale. The price that comes with this “freedom,” and the price that comes with being “caged,” are as horrendous as the benefit is tantalizing in both cases. There is no right answer, and every answer seems wrong in some way.

If anthropomorphic animals, and lions in particular, reminds you of Disney then you’ll be in for quite a shock with Pride of Baghdad. Sure, these lions and the other Zoo animals talk and, yeah, there’s a cute lion cub and even a forced stampede but that’s where any similarities to The Lion King end. Vaughan and Henrichon spent a year creating a tale that brings the horrors of war, when taken to the city streets, to incredible graphic levels. This work will belong to Vaughan for most people but the little known Henrichon (this is only his second graphic novel) has created a real masterpiece of resonant, graphic storytelling.

My next steps after reading this? Pick up the trade books for Y: The Last Man and be on the lookout for Vaughan’s upcoming Dr. Strange mini-series. And keep my ear to the ground for anything that’s got Henrichon’s name attached to it.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:52 AM   #3
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Civil War 4 was intense wasn't it Joe? I tell you man... Sue just got infinitely hotter to me with her bravery and actions....
Old 09-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #4
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Keith, Sue's always been hot IMHO. But, hell yeah, she took it up a notch in this issue. I loved the bloody nose she got from shielding Cap's crew from this Thor's lightning strike. Talk about brave actions!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
bat_collector
Galactus

Joe my thoughts no civil war:

1) Issue 4 is all about Sue. I've never cared about her too much, but you simply couldn't think of this issue and not her actions. She was the conscience of this issue. And I loved that panel with johnny and sue walkign out of the baxter building.

2) Spidey seemed liked a crushed little boy whose dreams were shattered. I'm not saying that badly, but you could just feel his pain at seeing one of the good guys die for protecting Cap. HIs trust in Tony is probably all but gone.

3) Hank, thankfully, had a scene of total regret at seeing a man who has helped him out so unselfishly die. His intellectualizing of this whole situation is hopefully over.

4) The only real problem I have is that Tony's side seems to not do one thing right. I mean hiring bullseye and venom to hunt down heroes? How do you resort to that? I don't know how anyone can sympathize with tony's crew any more.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:12 AM   #6
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Good eye, you Anglophile. Brits tend to slangify 'isn't' into something more like 'int' than 'aint', but I have never ever seen it written down...

I forgot to pick this up at my LCS, but will go back for it. Just as long as the British is better than Brubaker's remarkable overuse of the word 'bloody'. Cap saying 'twit' was fun, even if I'm not sure who in the modern day he could have picked it up from.

I'm not reading anything about Civil War until I have the issue, which should only take another week and a half. Sigh...
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:22 AM   #7
bat_collector
Galactus

Arrow My two cents on pride of bahdad

well, I picked up this hc only because joe and sam said they were doing a joint review. I had to know what the rage was about this. I have to say this is a complex read, and I really haven't stopped thinking about it a week later.

Let me just preface below by saying lets not start a debate about the topic, just maybe give our thoughts on what we think of the book and NOT each others opionons.

Can freedom be given? What about us, who don't know anything else? Can we comprehend what is like to live in another country where its much harsher? What would it be like to wake up one day and find bombs falling in the sky, destroying things and people around you purportedly with your freedom in mind?

I think pride of baghdad does a great job of at least trying to make us think about those uncomfortable questions, and I congratulate Vaughn for daring to write such a conflicted tale in an era where most would rather have everyone shut up with any contrary opinions.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:33 AM   #8
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Union Jack baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gotta swing by the LCS tonight!!!! I haven't been in over two months............I don't want to see what I have to pay for...............
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwf6171 View Post
Union Jack baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gotta swing by the LCS tonight!!!! I haven't been in over two months............I don't want to see what I have to pay for...............
MWF, you know the best thing about union jack? He made a great red hood bust.

j/k, hope you like it a lot buddy.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #10
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
MWF, you know the best thing about union jack? He made a great red hood bust.

j/k, hope you like it a lot buddy.

Funny man!!! Go foreclose on somebody will ya?!?!?!?!

That Red Hood bust is going to look nice!!
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote