Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #61
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Yeah I love hearing about the early days of art collecting. It must have been nice to collect during a time when prices weren't INSANE and there wasn't a ton of competition for pieces.
I too wonder about those days. I don't recall going to conventions or even thinking that I could actually own comic art. I don't even remember seeing original art till the mid 90s and then I wondered why it wasn't in color.

Someone on I think ComicArtFans or the CGC Original Art topic posted what Marvel had I think for sale in the 90s and it was incredible.

But it's like this for everything that wasn't popular before that is now. Animation cels, movie posters, vintage actor / actress signatures. I love looking at auction catalogs from places like Heritage and seeing all that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
All this to say that coveted artwork is generally made up moments found and moments lost. If you have to think about it, then you may not want it enough or worse, you can lose your chance. I realize that's easy to say given what some of these pieces cost these days but I'm inclined to think it is largely true. Funny world, the artwork world.
Yeah I've lost stuff like that before. Sometimes it wasn't even that expensive. What makes it bad is that these artworks are one of a kind. So if it gets in a collector's hands you are not likely to see it again.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #62
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I started going to SDCC back in 1991 as a teenager and I didn't pay attention to original art at all. I had zero interest in published pieces. I was all about comics and getting signatures.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #63
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
I started going to SDCC back in 1991 as a teenager and I didn't pay attention to original art at all. I had zero interest in published pieces. I was all about comics and getting signatures.

Yup. Same here. However, I also collected record store posters which were a huge thing at the time. I was initially intimidated a bit by the artwork world.

My first page of artwork was given to me as a gift in the early 90s, I think. It was a Gil Kane panel page from Amazing Spiderman #101 (page 2). It cost a whopping $40 at the time. I sold it a few years later to help acquire something else. I imagine that 6-arm Spidey page would be worth much more now. Who knew? Once Jack Kirby passed away, the landscape seemed to change significantly.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #64
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
True. I remember when you were just dipping your toes in. Now look at how far your collection has come.....and that's just what we can see of CAF.
what are you going to do when I finally get around to uploading everything?

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #65
madmanny

Whatcha gunna dooooo when gammabro runs wild on you.
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #66
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanny View Post
Whatcha gunna dooooo when gammabro runs wild on you.

wrong Hulk .... brother

CAF
Old 04-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #67
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
what are you going to do when I finally get around to uploading everything?
Like that will ever happen.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:12 AM   #68
ReplicantSavior

Quote:
I think most of us were just getting comics back then. And this is coming from someone that knew a guy that drew small comic stories on the side. I even thought getting a signed poster was a big deal. I don't know why I didn't look into conventions. I guess no one I knew was really into comics to the point of getting artwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
My first page of artwork was given to me as a gift in the early 90s, I think. It was a Gil Kane panel page from Amazing Spiderman #101 (page 2). It cost a whopping $40 at the time. I sold it a few years later to help acquire something else. I imagine that 6-arm Spidey page would be worth much more now. Who knew? Once Jack Kirby passed away, the landscape seemed to change significantly.
$40 for original artwork from Amazing #101 is so low it's incredible. I didn't go to the comic shop weekly back then. I can't recall if I even knew comics released on Wednesdays. I know I used to go to an old newsstand. It really was a newsstand too just out in the open. They sold newspapers, some magazines, and comics. I remember getting the late Amazing Spider-Man #290ish issues there. I would also get comics at a bookstore called Kroch's and Brentano's. Sadly they don't exist anymore.

I would go to a comic shop when I would go to an arcade. Maybe monthly or a few times a month. I had usually around $20 to spend. Maximum I would spend on an old comic was I think $12. Perhaps I got a $20 comic on sale days which knocked it down to around $10 or $12. I wonder what I would think back then if I saw an original page for $40? Thinking about it, I would not have stored the art correctly anyway.

I think someone would have had to explain original art to me. I believe Albert Moy talked about those times on the podcast when comics were going for more than the art. I can't remember his words exactly.

I think I'm going to start a topic about original art back then.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #69
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixComicArt View Post
We'll get you on the next call-in segment, Dave!!

Thanks everyone!

CAF
Old 04-20-2017, 08:31 PM   #70
superboylives
Mephisto

Felix, thank you very much for these podcasts. I've listened to most of them at least 2x. Some 4x. The Danzig portion of the latest one was incredible. Unfortunately The second half of the podcast dealt more with dealing than collecting so I didn't find it nearly as interesting. I'm crossing my fingers that the next one with Albert will be available soon.
superboylives is offline   Reply With Quote