Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #1901
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I have a feeling The Hound and The Brotherhood Without Banners may be the first to square off, and likely fall, against the White Walkers. I just hope Sandor survives so we eventually get Hound Vs Mountain in CleganeBowl.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #1902
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

I thought the premiere was OK, nothing overly exciting

I wish they would bring in lady stoneheart from the books but I guess they confirmed thats never happening on the show sadly
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #1903
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I wish they would bring in lady stoneheart from the books but I guess they confirmed thats never happening on the show sadly
Correct. http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.3326345
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #1904
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
What, no comments about last night's 1st episode?

OK no spoilers.

I like how the episode opened with Arya. At first I was confused and thought it was a flashback or something but then I remembered what she did.

Enjoyed seeing Jon and Sansa discussions with one another.

I really like Lyanna Mormont, she is a firecracker.

Sam, what a life. The poor smuck.

Cersei and Jaime...the usual.

The Hound. Good to see him back and to see his "sensitive" side.

Daenerys...no excitement, but the Dragonstone castle was designed very well.

Walkers...
Spoiler
freaking giants too!

All in all a good premier episode. Not overly exciting but just enough to be enjoyable.
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had my hopes up very high and was expecting a great premiere episode and I did not feel disappointed. Loved almost every minute. It was a very story driven episode, setting up the events to come later this season. So not a lot of action, but that's OK.

When I first saw Walder Frey (Walter? Walder?) and noticed he was NOT drinking out of his cup as he raised the toast to his whole family I was like, "Oh no she didn't!" But she sure did. Some great lines as he/she
Spoiler
watched them all die.

Lady Lyanna rules.

Are they setting up a brother sister feud with Jon and Sansa? Will Littlefinger manipulate Sansa into siding against Jon?

I liked how Cersei was standing over a giant map plotting out her empire's expansion. Jaime correcting her saying she ruled 2, 3 kingdoms tops but not all 7. He's still got some levelheadedness, unlike her.

So Sam finds a book about Dragonstone - there's tons and tons of Dragonglass under the mountain, the vision showed Dragonstone, Danaerys arrives at Dragonstone, Yeah we get why they named the episode Dragonstone.

Undoubtedly there is going to be some crazy huge battle at Dragonstone this season, - I would guess at the season finale, but who vs. who exactly? That's the question. And will it involve white walkers? Seems to be a yes there based on the Hound's "fire vision" which I really need to watch a couple more times and pay closer attention to. It seemed like he was watching the army of the dead try to go around the wall? Or what exactly did he see? I think that the language about the vision was vague on purpose but maybe there were some major clues in there for future events.

One big question looming, will the humans defeat the white walkers and then go on fighting amongst themselves to the end, or will the battle with the white walkers come at the very end with the humans squabbling amongst themselves up until they are forced to put away their feuding and face their legendary enemy together? I think we can be sure that we'll see no alliances between the walkers and humans. So it comes down to just how much of a threat are the white walkers? What exactly will it take to defeat them? Will we see zombie versions of Cersei, Jaime? THE SHAME NUN?

Is Arya going to get herself killed? Imprisoned? Could her sword instructor still be alive and will she find him rotting away in some cell somewhere?

Undead Wun Wun, very sad. I liked that guy.

It was very interesting seeing life at the Citadel, why is Jorah there? Is he a patient or a prisoner there? Some of that scene was unclear. And it did seem that his grey disease had spread although could they show that any faster? You saw his hand and arm for a split second!

The grand meister or whatever he was called didn't even think the white walkers are real. Guy is the only one with access to the books, and he doesn't even see a need for them other than as fables. That sucks.

For very smart people they do some very dumb things at the Citadel. I would not want the guy who hand cleans the bedpans to also be preparing the food. Yuck. That scene was funny but gross!

So much happened, caught up on so many characters. I liked seeing Brann and the girl (can't ever remember her name) reach the night's watch. I'm unclear on all of the citadels and such regarding the wall but It seemed like Brann and Jon are still in different locations?

I am torn with the Daenarys scene, on the one hand I guess it was very moving and meaningful having her return to the castle of her family name, but man, was that scene slow moving. Pick UP the PACE people!
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:06 PM   #1905
COI

Am I the only one who has a serious problem with the Arya scene, and how her character has unfolded in general?

The idea is amazing; the many-faced God concept is interesting, and no harder to believe than the Lord of Light stuff. The problem is they spent sooo much screen time on Arya and still didn't manage to explain how she can do the stuff she does. All the running around she did adds up to, at best, being able to disguise herself and being able to fight in the dark.

Okay, so maybe the doppelganger disguise thing has a magical element. Fine, except she isn't even 'no one' anymore because she screwed all that up. She's not tied to the assassin's guild/religion/cult/whatever, so why would she possess those powers? That leaves the more mundane explanation that she cuts off faces and can perfectly mimic voices and body language, but again, they never explained or showed how she has this ability. All she ever did was play cane-fighting with the waif.

Arya is just a girl, we watched her grow, and we've seen that she's vulnerable and limited, just like any other person. We need to understand how she went from a girl who could barely hold a wooden sword in season 1, to some teleporting, shape-shifting assassin arranging these crazy, intricate hits on people. And despite how much precious screen-time they've devoted to her over the last couple of seasons, they've one a really poor job of explaining how she's doing any of this. She's clearly been through a lot, which would make her tough as nails, but all the skills/powers she appears to have now are completely unexplained.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #1906
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Am I the only one who has a serious problem with the Arya scene, and how her character has unfolded in general?

The idea is amazing; the many-faced God concept is interesting, and no harder to believe than the Lord of Light stuff. The problem is they spent sooo much screen time on Arya and still didn't manage to explain how she can do the stuff she does. All the running around she did adds up to, at best, being able to disguise herself and being able to fight in the dark.

Okay, so maybe the doppelganger disguise thing has a magical element. Fine, except she isn't even 'no one' anymore because she screwed all that up. She's not tied to the assassin's guild/religion/cult/whatever, so why would she possess those powers? That leaves the more mundane explanation that she cuts off faces and can perfectly mimic voices and body language, but again, they never explained or showed how she has this ability. All she ever did was play cane-fighting with the waif.

Arya is just a girl, we watched her grow, and we've seen that she's vulnerable and limited, just like any other person. We need to understand how she went from a girl who could barely hold a wooden sword in season 1, to some teleporting, shape-shifting assassin arranging these crazy, intricate hits on people. And despite how much precious screen-time they've devoted to her over the last couple of seasons, they've one a really poor job of explaining how she's doing any of this. She's clearly been through a lot, which would make her tough as nails, but all the skills/powers she appears to have now are completely unexplained.
I think what Arya does is cut the faces off the corpse and the many face God people had learned to preserve the skin and use them as masks and Arya learned how to do it when she was "cleaning" the corpses. How she mimics their voices? She was taught it I guess.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #1907
protector2814
Phoenix

I don't think the zombie giant was Wun Wun. He died w/ John & is hopefully buried near his hold. I think the zom-giant was just some dead giant who died out on the snow fields. There was another or two in the herd as well.
Arya may have learned a lot more assassin technique than we were privy to. We weren't with her character the entire time she trained. I buy that she's now a master. We saw a huge display of her talent in last season's finale.

* I stand corrected - Just rewatched the scene & picked up that the zombie-giant's eye was missing & glowing, recalling that his eye was shot out at the castle. Still, can't figure out how he was resurrected & moved the several hundred miles back to the horde.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #1908
johnclone
The Enchantress

OK. I guess that makes sense, I assumed it was because of the way the camera went right up to the giant's decayed skull and showed his eyes, I immediately thought they did this because it was Wun Wun, and they had somehow gotten a hold of the corpse. But, yeah Jon probably would have burned all the dead. He knows not to leave all those bodies unburnt.

As far as the faces, voices, I think that's easy to explain. Jaqen clearly had some supernatural tricks in his bag when he freed Arya from being held by all the soldiers, or when he blinded her, or when he knew beforehand what would happen to her, when he saw her doing things without seeing her directly, so not everything about the many faced god's followers is theoretically possible, and yet can be done with magic. So yeah, it was magic. Magical voice changing, masks, teleporting, you name it. But, I don't think Arya had any of those powers at her disposal when she was hunted by the Waif. That was her proving herself worthy. Whereas the Waif was using some magical powers to hunt her. My guess is after killing the Waif, Arya received a lot of power, Jaqen always seemed to like her, for all we know he may want her to return to him at some point and the powers are more of a loan than a gift.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Jaqen again. He may step in and stop Arya from getting herself killed.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #1909
johnclone
The Enchantress

I don't know why I didn't realize this sooner, but Jon and Ramsay's battle was on the other side of the wall, So there's no way that the giant we saw was Wun Wun, possibly from the battle of Hardhome then? Or was it called Hardhold? All these names! You have to sit with a tablet on your lap to watch this series and google all the names of everything! lol
Old 07-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #1910
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I don't think the zombie giant was Wun Wun. He died w/ John & is hopefully buried near his hold. I think the zom-giant was just some dead giant who died out on the snow fields. There was another or two in the herd as well.
Arya may have learned a lot more assassin technique than we were privy to. We weren't with her character the entire time she trained. I buy that she's now a master. We saw a huge display of her talent in last season's finale.

* I stand corrected - Just rewatched the scene & picked up that the zombie-giant's eye was missing & glowing, recalling that his eye was shot out at the castle. Still, can't figure out how he was resurrected & moved the several hundred miles back to the horde.
Hmm. You see it now with the eyes and how weird it is that they focus in on that one giant. I still think you were right though, perhaps that is a known (It is known) technique to fight these giants, aim for their eyes and so it is still a different giant who suffered a similar fate as Wun Wun. It doesn't seem possible that Jon would have not burnt all those bodies or that the Night King can resurrect corpses without being present with them, also do the walkers and wights have to be the ones who killed the warriors in order for them to be able to resurrect them, or can they resurrect anyone?