Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #1401
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
that's what pisses me off, I know this isn't book discussion but ugh... he wouldn't have done that...."if I should die see to it my daughter is placed upon the iron throne!" that is not the thing a man that is going to burn his friggin only Heir alive to melt some snow would say
Does he not sacrifice her in the book? PM me if it's potential spoilers.

Anyway, I haven't read the books and I agree. This decision seemed entirely out of character. It went against everything he has said about his daughter and all of his actions to save her from the greyscale. While he has always been part POS, he struck me as the kind of man who could see that a future on the throne at the cost of his daughter's life was pointless.

As soon as the guards grabbed her to tie her up (was holding out for hope he wouldn't actually do it) the wife and I simply had to fast forward through the scene. I don't care if it's fiction. Not going to watch children be murdered.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #1402
Medusoid
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

I was rooting for Stannis, but now I just want him to die. I can't believe he would do something like that.
Medusoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #1403
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Anyway, I haven't read the books and I agree. This decision seemed entirely out of character. It went against everything he has said about his daughter and all of his actions to save her from the greyscale. While he has always been part POS, he struck me as the kind of man who could see that a future on the throne at the cost of his daughter's life was pointless.
What people say and do under normal circumstances, as opposed to when they are desperate, starving, and have a fanatical religious belief - are often quite different.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #1404
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
What people say and do under normal circumstances, as opposed to when they are desperate, starving, and have a fanatical religious belief - are often quite different.
Ask any parent who gives a damn about their kids, NOTHING in this world could make you consider such actions. I am not saying there aren't horrible parents out there who could do such a thing, but Stannis (as he has been written up this point) would not have sacrificed his daughter. Especially not for a military strategic advantage.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:50 PM   #1405
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Ask any parent who gives a damn about their kids, NOTHING in this world could make you consider such actions. I am not saying there aren't horrible parents out there who could do such a thing, but Stannis (as he has been written up this point) would not have sacrificed his daughter. Especially not for a military strategic advantage.
I believe you're totally wrong about that. Religious fanaticism can. Just about anything can be rationalized. ISIS parents have been interviewed, claiming to love their kids, and are willing to sacrifice them.

And burning people at the stake has kind of been Stannis and Melisandre's thing. They've already burned family members, would have torched Gendry if not for Davos, and now Stannis is desperate.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #1406
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusoid View Post
I was rooting for Stannis, but now I just want him to die. I can't believe he would do something like that.
Quote:
I believe you're totally wrong about that. Religious fanaticism can. Just about anything can be rationalized. ISIS parents have been interviewed, claiming to love their kids, and are willing to sacrifice them.

And burning people at the stake has kind of been Stannis and Melisandre's thing. They've already burned family members, would have torched Gendry if not for Davos, and now Stannis is desperate.
*sigh* the TV writers got exactly what they wanted, all mourn the one true king of Westeros, the honorable Stannis of the house Baratheon
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #1407
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:

Are you really comparing ISIS terrorists to Stannis? Not much I can add to this conversation if that's the case.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:33 PM   #1408
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
*sigh* the TV writers got exactly what they wanted, all mourn the one true king of Westeros, the honorable Stannis of the house Baratheon
Why's my quote in there? I've never considered Stannis that noble.

By the way, Shireen was GRRM's idea, and she's likely sacrificed in book 6.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:36 PM   #1409
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Are you really comparing ISIS terrorists to Stannis? Not much I can add to this conversation if that's the case.
Um, they're both religious fanatics, so yes.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:37 PM   #1410
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Why's my quote in there? I've never considered Stannis that noble.

By the way, Shireen was GRRM's idea, and she's likely sacrificed in book 6.
because they convinced you he was a religious fanatic to begin with. Stannis doesn't believe everything Mel is selling, Stannis doesn't burn people for "false idols" the "Family" in question he burned on the beach were caught in the process of turning traitor to the Lannisters. don't get me wrong i'm not pro burning folks but that is certainly a more reasonable reason than what TV folks were given.

and EVEN if she does bite it in book 6 it sure as hell won't be with his ok.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote