Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 08-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #1
archery
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Is it time for PCS to let go of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat?

Never thought I'd get to this point as a massive SF and MK fan, but my enthusiasm has started to wane for both franchises. If like me, you collect a diverse range of lines, there's only so much room you have for SF/MK pieces. After the key SF characters are done in 1:3/Ultra and the original SF/MK classic line ups are complete, I would assume that all but a minority of completists would have what they wanted. Producing tiny runs of B-C list characters is commendable, but I don't think it will be good for PCS' bottom line.

Now that Prime1 and PrototypeZ are going to start cranking out Street Fighter pieces, it would make business sense for PCS to diversify a little more. There are only so many collectors for these companies to fight over.

Would have liked to see PCS take on key Marvel characters but I don't see this happening unless Sideshow are willing to sub-contract (if that's even possible). I think Jerry mentioned he's not big on other gaming franchises or Anime and P1, F4F, HMO and Kinettiquettes seem to have most of the key licenses sewn up. Terminator, Transformers, Predator and Aliens will be covered by P1/Sideshow and XM/Sideshow have got the comic side of things.

So what does that leave? Cult movie characters/80s icons? Definitely. Conan, Rambo and Howling all look like home runs. Would also like to see Van Damme and Mr T get the Macaluso treatment. Indiana Jones and John Matrix are a must if the licenses are available. I'm not sure if "regular bodied" characters hold any appeal for Jerry and team. As much as I like Ripley/Marty McFly etc... I can't see myself buying a 1:3 or even 1:4 versions of them when Hot Toys have done such a great job. Horror? The big ones are done or being made (Freddy, Jason, Leatherface) and the others are probably too niche to be worth the effort.

Personally, I'd like to see PCS get back the Thundercats license and reboot it. Need to see that Tygra again with a touch more PCS style realism. I'd also like to see an original PCS line of fantasy characters in the vein of Frazetta/Sideshow COTD. Barbarians, Hulking monsters, Demons, Ice Queens etc... would be a perfect fit for PCS' strengths. Jerry is too good a sculptor to just be reinterpreting the work of others....

archery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #2
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

SF is the only reason the company is even alive. Please look forward to the next regurgitated Ryu, Akuma, Sub Zero, and Scorpion.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
Joppula
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

No, it is not time.

It just needs to change a few things to make it sizzle again.

Prime1 is sitting on the license. PTZ is cool, but imho definitely not outdoing PCS. Especially with their SFV pieces.

Kineticteq..... whatever is somewhat niche and expensive to import.

Imho the two 1/4 lines and 1/3 line are the absolute best in SF Collectibles at the moment.

I have some great ideas for some of their smaller lines, but that's somewhat unrelated.

MK, if it's selling poorly I'd ditch it. However the 1/3 line seems promising. And 1/4 Shao Kahn looked great.

Depends on the piece I'd say.
Joppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
Joppula
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
SF is the only reason the company is even alive. Please look forward to the next regurgitated Ryu, Akuma, Sub Zero, and Scorpion.
Definitely some truth here.

Shoto and Ninja purgatory it seems.

I miss the days of Alex and Oro!
Joppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
sparda
The Avengers

P1 just announced they are starting up production on SF
sparda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:18 PM   #6
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Yes PCS needs to diversify by making Marvel statues.....no one is doing them.....lol.

Also all the licenses you mention they are doing anyway and still making SF and MK too....

As for Thundercats it's not big enough, look what just happened with the Kinnetiquettes diorama.

The fact is SF sells for PCS and it's what PCS/Jerry does best and has a passion for and because of the money that SF brings in Jerry then gets to do things like AWIL, Howling, Conan etc these other projects probably wouldn't even exist without SF.

Were also still getting the odd Juri, Shadaloo Cammy, Necali, Poison etc it's not all shotos. With more 1:3, Ultra and 1/8 scale stuff on the way SF is definitely here to stay.

Edit : I think Jerry definitely knows the MK line needs a kick up the ass to get going and i'm sure they're working on something to bring the franchise together as one solid line.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #7
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
Yes PCS needs to diversify by making Marvel statues.....no one is doing them.....lol.

Also all the licenses you mention they are doing anyway and still making SF and MK too....

As for Thundercats it's not big enough, look what just happened with the Kinnetiquettes diorama.

The fact is SF sells for PCS and it's what PCS/Jerry does best and has a passion for and because of the money that SF brings in Jerry then gets to do things like AWIL, Howling, Conan etc these other projects probably wouldn't even exist without SF.

Were also still getting the odd Juri, Shadaloo Cammy, Necali, Poison etc it's not all shotos. With more 1:3, Ultra and 1/8 scale stuff on the way SF is definitely here to stay.

Edit : I think Jerry definitely knows the MK line needs a kick up the ass to get going and i'm sure they're working on something to bring the franchise together as one solid line.
Fully Sculpted and Dynamic like the SF Ultra line would do MK wonders.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparda View Post
P1 just announced they are starting up production on SF
Yeah P1 announces a lot and PrototypeZ has done a gorgeous Ryu but come back and lets have this convo once they have actually delivered at least 5 statues.

I don't think PCS wants their focus to be so MK and SF heavy it's just that has been the meeting point of what sells and what they can get rights to.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #9
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I think the MK Modern lines (MKX & MK9) are pretty close to that.

The uncertainty of Mixed Media is something that has to be eliminated for all of PCS's statues even if that means going fully sculpted.
While the Akuma and Ninjas weren't disasters they weren't the golden statues everyone was hoping for when they sold out so fast.

Honestly I just feel MK has lost the hype. It's always been 2nd fiddle to Street Fighter and not just when it comes to the games...
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #10
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Yep basically the MKX line.

Just do any character/costume they want from whatever game in that style (environment on black trim base, fully sculpted, dynamic poses) and lets get a unified line here!
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote