Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 01-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #741
protector2814
Phoenix

It appears that even the Wagner' Kane paperbacks are going for between $22 - $35 each on ebay. I think I'm just going to continue to search used bookstores for them. What I fear is that now bookstore owners know to pull any Kane as they come in & put them up on ebay. Collectors seem to be hanging on to them. I had a conversation with one bookstore owner who remembers them being easy to find & almost always in his racks. Now, he says, he doesn't see them anymore so I may have to bite down & pay the big bucks. May have to start hitting estate sales too.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #742
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
It appears that even the Wagner' Kane paperbacks are going for between $22 - $35 each on ebay. I think I'm just going to continue to search used bookstores for them. What I fear is that now bookstore owners know to pull any Kane as they come in & put them up on ebay. Collectors seem to be hanging on to them. I had a conversation with one bookstore owner who remembers them being easy to find & almost always in his racks. Now, he says, he doesn't see them anymore so I may have to bite down & pay the big bucks. May have to start hitting estate sales too.
Wow I used to get them for like $2 to $4 ea on ebay and would buy them and give them to friends. Times change I guess. I know the hardcover full collections "Midnight Sun" and "God's in Darkness" go for a lot. Glad I have those.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #743
Babytoxie
Ghost

A Night in The Lonesome October, by Roger Zelazny

Written in 1993, Zelazny's final novel brings to mind The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: characters from history, Victorian literature, and Universal monster movies (!) are drawn to London in anticipation of a supernatural event involving HP Lovecraft's elder gods. Interestingly, the story is told from the perspective of Jack the Ripper's dog. Yep...

It was fun picking out the various references in the novel - some obvious, and some that required a bit of research. There were plenty of funny bits as well. The conclusion was a bit flat, considering the great build-up and the high stakes, but overall, it was a good way to pass the time.

Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #744
zeus
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Conan the Barbarian comics, 40 out of 275 done.
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #745
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Currently reading 'The Name of The Wind' by Patrick Rothuss.

As a fan of Fantasy, I really don't know how this passed me by for so long, because it's one of the most engaging and well written books I've ever read.

Can't recommend it enough if you haven't read it.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #746
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Currently reading 'The Name of The Wind' by Patrick Rothuss.

As a fan of Fantasy, I really don't know how this passed me by for so long, because it's one of the most engaging and well written books I've ever read.

Can't recommend it enough if you haven't read it.
Agreed. This was one of the best reads I ever picked up. I was prepared for something completely not what I read, but ended up with a much more engrossing and entertaining tale in the end. The sequel,'The Wise Man's Fear' is every bit as good. I just wish he wrote a bit faster because I can't wait for the third installment.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:48 AM   #747
RichBamf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKni9hT View Post
Agreed. This was one of the best reads I ever picked up. I was prepared for something completely not what I read, but ended up with a much more engrossing and entertaining tale in the end. The sequel,'The Wise Man's Fear' is every bit as good. I just wish he wrote a bit faster because I can't wait for the third installment.
I haven’t started the second yet for that waiting reason, but I finished ‘wind’ in four days, simply couldn’t put the book down.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #748
RichBamf

Re-read Fahrenheit 451 bu Ray Bradbury and Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut while I was on holiday (I know, nice relaxing reads.)

Fahrenheit 451 is timeless to me, I couldn't help applying the messages in that book to the current cultural climate and wishing more people read books instead of getting their info from Facebook.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #749
protector2814
Phoenix

I'm currently reading Keith Taylor's Bard series & I'm just blown away as to how good they are. I'm almost through the 2nd of 5, even though I hear that the 5th is impossible & terribly expensive to find. The 1st one starts off & finishes well, dealing with a just post Roman-Empire, Irish Bard who can race his lineage back to the Faire-folk & uses the magical abilities of his Bard-ways to navigate his adventure, but it's with the 2nd book that the series really takes off. He gets thrown into a Pirate-Queen's adventures .... & all hell breaks loose. Just fantastic 80's Sword 'n Sorcery fun & a series I'm surprised I'd never heard of before I joined a S&S FB group. Great series so far.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #750
Superman_Rules
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I decided to pick up some “legends” material. Currently reading this.

Superman_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote