Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Artist's Alley

Old 04-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
unbounddreams
I am da law!

A few of my Charcoals

Here are a few of my recent charcoals I have done.

Just thought I would share. They took about 6-8 hours each. The original of the first one has sold and the original of the others are still available and matted/framed. I have prints as well PM for details if interested or if you have any questions. Will post more soon probably of fantasy and comic related things.

Thanks for viewing!
-Jon
unbounddreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Very cool, Jon! I'm a big Amy Lee fan.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
TheJoker
The Doh! has to go!!!

looks cool... nice work.
TheJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
unbounddreams
I am da law!

Much thanks guys. Very glad to be able to share.

-Jon
Old 04-05-2007, 10:31 PM   #5
Avenger
Galactus

Those are great Jon
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #6
Karen Stidham
Frackin!

Charcole drawing is a different animal

The problem I have with these drawing is the same problem I had with my own Charcoles when I first drew with charcole - all my life up to that point was I was drawing with pencil and I continiue to draw like I was using a pencil - which is what I think is happening here - use the side of the charcole more - don't draw line - draw shapes with shading not lines - when starting the drawing of the girl sitting down draw the negitive space first - let the negitive space create the outline of the arm, leg, body etc etc

I had a teacher who after I though had done the greatest piece of my life from a model came up to me grabed my shamie and wipe-out my drawing - after he calm me down and keep me from ripping off his head he sat with me for the next 3 hours and taugh me to look at the model in a different way - also taugh me the proper way to use the charcole - which is very different than useing a pencil - he was the only teacher at the Maryland Insitute Collage of Art from whom I felt that I had learn anything and I went there for 2 1/2 years

Today when I do portrait work with pencil - I draw like I was using the charcole - charcole technic work with pencil but pencil technic don't work with charcole
Karen Stidham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
unbounddreams
I am da law!

You are very right. When I do charcoal studies before oil painting I use that(smooth transition). I usually use graphite powder and a brush instead. These I did with charcoal pencils. A very interesting learning experience and much different than what I was used to. But you are very right about the lines concerning th Amy Lee's. The other one I tryed to stylize with hard strokes. The first one is on bristol board, the Amy Lee is on charcoal paper, and the Amy Lee 2 is on bristol board as well.

The hard stroke technique I wanted to try after reading a lot on John Singer Seargent. When doing studies he'd use harsh lines and when doing actual portraits he'd use ver soft gradient technique. But once again very excellent advice and tips from your preofessor. I had one professor that really helped me with anatomy and shapes at my 4 years at the art institute of atlanta and now have a great professor at AASU doing the same but with oil painting techniques. Always amazing how you can find that one professor that brings you to a new level.

Will post more works soon when I can finish them. You guys have great so far.

-Jon

Last edited by unbounddreams; 04-07-2007 at 11:40 PM. Reason: typos