Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 03-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
Luminous
Cyclops

Question Question regarding OA value

I acquired a cover directly from the artist nearly a year ago. His rep at the time had it on his site available for purchase but I bought it directly from the artist since I know him personally. He has since changed reps but I noticed that the old rep still has a lot of his art listed for sale, including the page I acquired.

For a while I didn't care. I know I own the art and it didn't matter if it was incorrectly listed for sale on the rep's site. However, I just wondered, could this negatively impact the art's value? If people perceive that the art is still available and it never sells at the price listed, couldn't that influence people's perceived demand for the piece? I have no intention of selling the art, but I also don't need something like this to impact any of my collectible's value in a negative way for no reason. Thoughts?
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

As the owner, you are the only person who currently controls the value of the art as you are the only person who can put a price on it. Could someone perceive that the art is worth less, sure but anyone can perceive anything they want at any time for any reason (likely to persuade someone that art they want is worth less than they want to pay). I would ask the rep to mark the art as sold or take it down – they should have no reason to refuse this request. They may not even know the art was sold direct from the artist to you.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #3
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Why does it seem like every single comic art website was made in the early 2000s?

They are all so horribly done.

There are some exceptions like Felix and Jadegiant.
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
As the owner, you are the only person who currently controls the value of the art as you are the only person who can put a price on it. Could someone perceive that the art is worth less, sure but anyone can perceive anything they want at any time for any reason (likely to persuade someone that art they want is worth less than they want to pay). I would ask the rep to mark the art as sold or take it down – they should have no reason to refuse this request. They may not even know the art was sold direct from the artist to you.
Ok, thanks JG. I'll reach out to the rep and see what they say.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post
Why does it seem like every single comic art website was made in the early 2000s?

Thank you (the check is in the mail)

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post

The honest to god answer is that most of the dealers do it as a part time job, so they spend as little time and $$ as possible updating things like that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Keep in mind, this industry isn't the same as most since the products are, quit literally, unique. If you want a page, and a particular site has it, it's not going to matter that you don't like how the site looks. THAT is the place to get it, no other options exist.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:13 PM   #7
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Spencer?
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:20 PM   #8
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
Spencer?
Are you asking me if it was Spencer? No it wasn't Spencer. Doubt I'll ever attempt to purchase from his site ever again given how poorly the last transaction went.

Is Spencer's site extremely outdated? Yes, I think we can all agree his site could use a tune up.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #9
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Are you asking me if it was Spencer? No it wasn't Spencer. Doubt I'll ever attempt to purchase from his site ever again given how poorly the last transaction went.

Is Spencer's site extremely outdated? Yes, I think we can all agree his site could use a tune up.
I just looked and Spencer still has the sale listed on his site but the banner says the sale ended on Feb 28th.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
I just looked and Spencer still has the sale listed on his site but the banner says the sale ended on Feb 28th.
Yeah, some of his pages still have banners promoting sales that ended years ago. His John Romita Jr. page has a banner promoting a sale that ended in 2017.