Old 02-15-2013, 02:56 AM   #31
Batman29
Sinister Six
Adamantium Plus Member

Here are my Hard Hero grails:

Hard Hero Red Sonja #1
Hard Hero Silver Surfer #48 Chrome
Hard Hero Silver Surfer #49

The Red Sonja grail speaks for itself as an exceptional sculpt and the edition #. More pics can be found at this link in this forum here:
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=92053

The Silver Surfers #48 Chrome and #49 painted, again speak for themselves as exceptional sculpts and their edition #'s. Rob, owner of Hard Hero, produced 500 versions of this Silver Surfer. They were all to be painted silver, except for one of them.
Hard Hero Silver Surfer edition #48, was the one chosen by Rob to be made in chrome (real chrome, not plated) instead of silver paint. The significance of this number, is that it is the first appearance of the Silver Surfer in the Fantastic Four issue #48. Edition #49 represents the first cover appearance of the Silver Surfer, which was on the cover of Fantastic Four issue #49. More pics, and the info of the signatures on the base, can be found at this link in this forum here:
http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...t=30778&page=2

Here is a couple of pics of each.

Batman29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #32
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Lucky dog!!! You definitely have some grails there.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #33
Batman29
Sinister Six
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroWho View Post
"A Grail is not only defined by the person on a quest to get it, but also by the one that posses it and is ready to defend it. We all have things without any monetary value, however,we are not willing to let them go. There is no money in the world, that will make us change our mind. For many fellow collectors, this is the case in point."

... And when it comes to Hard Hero Statues. Even if one of them is your favorite statue in the whole wide world, how can you call it a Grail when you can always let it go and replace it again by the next day. ... Nothing by Hard Hero is rare or desirable enough that it can be considered a Grail.

Hi Astro: While you make some valid points, there are some contradictory ones as well, in particular the statement "Nothing by Hard Hero is rare or desirable enough that it can be considered a Grail".

Here are some points to consider:

1. The Hard Hero Silver Surfer Chrome #48, a true chrome statue made in a batch of painted statues, is the only production, licensed statue made in this manner that myself, and many others are aware of. That alone gives it a monetary value. Add to this that it is a major Marvel character, that the edition number of the one statue is numbered after it's first appearance, and that Hard Hero simply sold it in line as if it was a normal order, makes it one of the most unique, if not the unique piece, of it's kind. Then add to this the signatures by Stan and Seth, with pictures of them actually signing the piece. Add to the fact that this piece sold twice already in the $4000 range WITHOUT the signatures. Pretty much puts it in the class of it's own. A class which makes it a highly desirable collectable, one which is easy to defend, and very difficult to let go.

2. Given the HH Silver Surfer #48, then #49, the first cover appearance, simply adds to the value of each, in combination of course.

3. Consider the Hard Hero Bronze Conan (real bronze). Only 20 of these made, even though they were licensed for 100 of them. The license has expired. There will only be 20 of them.

4. A #1 edition of any Hard Hero statue, or first appearance edition number, will fetch more than $50.

Aside from the above facts, then their is my own opinion. HH made some of the finest 1/6 scale statues to date. The Classic Iron Man is hard to beat, and the Hercules is simply the best piece out in the market. And if they are good deals, the more power to the person buying the HH line.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #34
Batman29
Sinister Six
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
Lucky dog!!! You definitely have some grails there.
Yes, I do consider myself very fortunate to own these pieces. Thanks for posting this thread. HH made many fantastic sculpts, and I was truly sorry to see them fold.

My hope was that they would one day produce DC characters, in 1/4 scale, and a few more bronze pieces with a colored patina.

I still hope Hard Hero will, that Rob would lead this with his vision, and that Seth would be involved in the sculpting and design.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #35
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Your welcome, my friend. And there is no reason to thank me.

The more I get to know about Hard Hero, the more I enjoy its beautiful pieces. And I am confident that many collectors in this forum feel the same way.

Some people might discredit the labor of love but I don't. I'm sure that many hours of hard work were put into these pieces before they were even produced and delivered into customers hands. Matter of fact, I have more appreciation and respect for HH now, that I ever did before. I'm so looking forward to start collecting HH classic statues again (I already have my eye in a few).
Old 03-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #36
ironrope
The Herculoids

My grail would be the Captain Marvel statue that was cancelled. There are probably a few that were produced and I would love to see a pic.
ironrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #37
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

Grails are a fun topic to watch how people think on the subject. It can mean different things to different folks.

I am one that feels that if it is a beyoacth to find and is needed for the collection, then it can be considered a grail. cost is not the main point. there are a few pieces out there that are harder to find but are not costly. This is because those who own them do not want to sell.

I just hate not seeing Seth sculpt, comic characters right now. He is one of the best out there and one hell of a good guy. some of his no comic stuff is incredible, but costly, and worth the money
Old 03-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #38
F.O.O.M.
Birdman

I wish HH pieces did sell for $50 even with shipping to the U.K. that would be roughly $100 (about £70 U.K. Sterling) I would f*%"^n' jump at the chance to buy the Conan, Belit and the other one -the name escapes me- for those prices!

I've just looked on ebay, and there is not one for sale in the U.K. (apart from artist proof's) so, imho, they are grail pieces due to price and import taxes.
F.O.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #39
bigscore
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Love my Gray HH Hulk...

Only 200 made and looks awesome in person!
bigscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #40
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.O.O.M. View Post
I wish HH pieces did sell for $50 even with shipping to the U.K. that would be roughly $100 (about £70 U.K. Sterling) I would f*%"^n' jump at the chance to buy the Conan, Belit and the other one -the name escapes me- for those prices!

I've just looked on ebay, and there is not one for sale in the U.K. (apart from artist proof's) so, imho, they are grail pieces due to price and import taxes.
I agree. We are very lucky here in the U.S. but we love to whine about prices. Good luck in getting your grails soon, my friend