Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2005, 03:53 PM   #1
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

My mindless rant, in no particular order or sense of clarity...

Well, I figure it's about time for one of my rants on the boards since there has been so much strife and BS lately (I suggested to Danny that the site be shut down for a while so people can get a grip). From the Bucky Fiasco to Sasquatch, people arguing with each other, and the general nonsense going on, I figure my time on these boards is pretty much up. I've never had a more negative sense of this hobby nor it's collectors as I have right now. And the funny thing about this whole situation is that we seem to be in the best period of collecting there can be!

- The number of people interested in the hobby is tremendous
- There are NUMEROUS companies creating very high quality product
- EVERY subject matter is being covered, from movies to comics to anything...
- We have a great place to discuss the hobbies we love...

BUT...

people want to *****, moan and complain about EVERYTHING. People want to argue. People want to make sure that everyone else is in their "proper" place, without being able to take care of themselves in the first place. Well people, let me give you MY opinion on a few topics, and I don't give a flying f-uck if you agree or not...

-BOWEN DESIGNS-
People, get your heads out of your asses. Randy is NOT the only person out there. He was the FIRST to create this niche in collecting, and for that he should be recognized. He was a pioneer that took a huge risk and ended up creating a very profitable company. AND THAT IS WHY HE IS ON THESE BOARDS!!! He's not here to be your friend, he's not here to make sure that YOU get the pieces that YOU want, and he certainly isn't here to have us run his company. He is here because he wants to continue on with HIS business, so HE can make a living. Go on and thank him all you wants for "caring" about the consumer, the customer, his "loyal" fans. We are $$$$ to him, plain and simple. If you think he is on here for ANY other reason, you're insane. You know why something like Gold Bucky happens? Because it can. There are enough of you suckers out there who would literally buy a solid turd from this man if he made it. You are actually THANKING him for selling you a rehashed, BS, money making character for $157?!?!?! Are you people nuts!!!!
Bowen is not a stupid guy. He KNOWS all of this, and is playing everyone. "Oh, people wanted the other base, so thats why I made it. Oh, yeah, by the way, a 100 pieces slipped through with a different base..." OH PLEASE, are you people f-ucking stupid!!!! You mean to tell me that this person you all revere as a GOD has no way of having those 100 pieces destroyed??? You mean the $500 in costs he has to swallow is too much??? OF COURSE NOT!! But the "buzz" it creates is well worth it, and watching you people argue, *****, moan and COMPLAIN about it is probably worth 10 times that amount.
"Oh, but people ASKED for the change". Yeah, about 50 people on these boards, THE SAME 50 PEOPLE WHO ALWAYS OPEN THEIR MOUTHS, mentioned something. Well, there are about 2450 other people who didn't say anything. The only other time when the minority decided anything was when Bush won in 2000, and we all know how THAT turned out. In any case, if the piece is already in production, why the hell is Bowen asking us what we think anyway?? It's a done deal, let it go, the f-ucking piece was going to sell out anyway. You are all a bunch of fiddles, and Randy is playing those strings.

-CURSING/PEOPLE ARGUING WITH EACH OTHER-
What the hell is wrong with everyone? Danny and MODS have REPEATEDLY asked that all personal attacks, rude/sexual language, or ANYTHING you wouldn't want your own kids to see be stopped. Well, nothing happens. The thing I am personally most pissed off about is that my own friends here in NY are among the worst offenders (myself included due to this thread). I have personally asked, on behalf of Danny, that some of the guys try to chill out a little, not be so overtly "NYer" in your language and comments. Well, to the rest of the forum, I apologize. It appears that us NYers aren't as savvy and great as we would like to think. My advice is to ignore whatever you deem inappropriate, and report it to a mod (for everyone, not just us NYers). PEOPLE WILL BE BANNED WITHOUT QUESTION FROM THIS POINT FORWARD.

-BUYING/SELLING/TRADING-
"What are your grails""Where is a good place to buy these pieces BESIDES ebay or a store??""Oh, I got this piece, but I'm not sure if I really want it..."
THESE ARE ALL B/S/T threads, whether you think you are making one or not. We have ALL seen the results of deals gone bad on this forum. This is the reason why public B/S/T threads are forbidden. This is not a suggestion, it is a rule. Dannys rule. If people are incapable or unwilling to police themselves, then they will be policed by us.

-RESPECT-
Basically, I see very little of it on these boards lately. Brown-nosing, yes. Admiration for peoples works, yes. Compliments, thank yous, shout outs...yes. Respect, not for a very long time.
I have seen lots of new members get jumped on for asking a question which was previously asked. For asking about something which was already discussed. For stating THEIR opinion, simply because they had this silly notion that being on these boards allowed them to do so???
NO ONE OWNS THESE BOARDS. Even Danny avoids posting too often in order to avoid seeming like a pushy landlord. I don't give a rats ass if you've got 1 post or 100,000, you are due respect from the others on this forum. There are going to be arguments and there are going to be people who join for no reason other that to cause problems. Deal with these issues in a RESPECTFUL matter. Inform a MOD about any issues. Don't start 14 page threads with nothing but an argument (regardless of how entertaining some of them can be).
But mostly, be respectful of this site. Everyone here is given this place for FREE. NOTHING. ZILCH. NADA. Danny pays for this site on his own and asks for nothing but a little civility. He doesn't push comicstatues.com at the expense of other dealers. He has tried to create a cool site from the ashes of the Bowen Forum. YES, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, THIS IS NOT THE BOWEN FORUM. Damn, even Bowen Designs had to be asked (numerous times) about why Comicstatues.com wasn't on their list of retailers when Randy basically uses this site for free customer feedback, focus groups and product suggestions.
I'm sure you folks would never want someone to walk into your house and start arguing that the color of your rug is off and that the legs your kitchen table is on are too square!! Try to be a little positive once in a while, you may find that it's not too hard.

Ok, I'm done. I could probably go on for about another 14 pages, but I already mentioned that those types of threads are a little tedious. Reply all you want to this, but I won't see it, so do it for yourselves.
And people, try to actually ENJOY collecting this stuff, that's why it's here.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Drew lets go have a drink!

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

all i can say is drew...youre my man..i love ya man

but this is all TRIVIAL!
i dont want to sound like a preacher but life is to short to get upset over statues and ignorant people who poison this great forum
i admit i was a whiner but those days are long gone...
this is a great,,,,GREAT forum...and like i said in another thread for you to leave this great forum because of idiotic people is ridiculous.,! ignore the whining and ignorance....its only about 5% of this forum...youre one of the most informative people on here...youre also a friend and i wouldnt want to see you not participate because of a few bad apples(well maybe more than a few) you help everyone out and always have great insight,,,,
bottom line...the forum is a better place with you here,,,,forget about the nonsense and enjoy the hobby and the forum
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 05:28 PM   #4
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

uh, I guess I don't take a lot of these "BS" posts that serious. If I see a thread where people start arguing I just completely avoid it (like the fiasco that happened in the Miami Meeting thread). I personally have made great friends through this board and I don't see any problems with it, but if you want to go, you are free to do so.
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Wait, all this time you Yanks have been talking about Rantsgiving Day? That makes a lot more sense. I kimd of know how you feel, Galactus. In the past I have frequently felt like there's no future in posting here because of this, or that, or the other. I've kind of overcome that nowadays, accepting that this is the internet, and you're gonna get all those things you mention. Short of having an application process and vetting members, there's no way to really prevent it. So I just try to have fun where I can, but then I don't have your responsibility. I hope you find a way to be sanguine about things so you can carry on being here.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 05:48 PM   #6
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Well said Big G. This should be a sticky and posted on all sections. There are enough good people on this board to survive.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 06:12 PM   #7
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Well said? Really? I disagree.

Suggesting the forum be shut down? I got along fine before the forum and will learn to get along without it as well. I find the forum, for the most part, fun and informative. Just because you are soured on it, don't go out of your way to ruin it for the rest of us.

BOWEN

Of course it is a business to make money. Yes people complain a lot. This is not limited to this forum. Being a Mod gives you the right to call other members stupid and to tell us to pull our head out our ass?

CURSING

Maybe you should edit your own post before preaching.

B/S/T

As the last thread of the "grail" type was mine, let me say that this was not in any way posted to buy, sell or trade with any one on the forum. Members had mentioned to me in public and in PM as to where they had seen them being sold. Is this wrong? Oh right, you won't see this reply but maybe one of the other mods can answer me.

RESPECT

On this point I agree with you totally, but your point might have been stronger if you posted with more thought and less emotion.

I do enjoy myself and while I can understand everyone needs to blow up once in a while, I think you are coming off a little "holier than thou" Galactus.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 06:22 PM   #8
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus

-BOWEN DESIGNS-( and all other Suppliers)
There's no room for friendship in business and vice versa.
Cash is King

-CURSING/PEOPLE ARGUING WITH EACH OTHER-
Be Civil

-BUYING/SELLING/TRADING-
Don't do it!!!

-RESPECT-
(See response for the "Cursing" topic)

Well said G.... There's alot to read so I did my own summary that gets to the point.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 06:32 PM   #9
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Guess i should expand...

There are enough good people on this forum and i for one hope that it won't be shut down because of the very strong views of certain individuals who in particular post in the Bowen section and occasionally in the other sections simply to slag off their product. I guess at the beginning i found this to be very annoying but I’ve come to expect it of some people and just get over the 'Mindless' views IMO but i guess i have enough respect for the forum not to start 'Too Many' arguments on the forum. I try to be respectful of peoples views yet i cannot sometimes fail put take the piss of their views...I don't mean to be disrespectful its just my funny bone i guess. Maybe we Irish/Brits have different sense of humour to our American brothers but in the main i find that we are very similar.

The Bowen section is probably the most aggressive section on the forum and most of the 'Aggressive People' seem to hang out there. There does seem to be a certain lack of respect for other peoples views...my post on Bust Collectors Suck thread was supposed to be funny and comic relief. But it does tell some home truths that seem to be prevalent among bust collectors in that they cannot agree among themselves. I really think Randy should just produce the sculpt/base/colour scheme and forget about asking opinions.

With regard to B/S/T while i don't post threads directly seeking sales i have posted links to 'Wish Lists' posted in the Sonofabid site. I don't know whether this is a breach of the rules. I see it as a loophole yet to be shut.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 06:40 PM   #10
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

well tetra, i disagree with you. problem is, you get to ignore what you want. we can't. what drew wrote is correct. because some members become "fanatics", they take posts very personal. this creates a problem. a problem that members, sculptors, artists and others do not want to partake on this forum any longer.
you see, every single complaint comes to us. when posts are insulting, we have to hear about it. you don't. all you have to do is post and ignore if you wish.
there are spoken rules and written rules. many try to go around them. not all but many. the question is why do they do it when they know they shouldn't? when they do, it means nothing to you. sadly, the same doesn't apply to us.
Now, I wasn't going to close down the forum because of a select few. That would mean they won and got the best of us. What will happen is that from now on, we won't be so soft on those who do brake the rules. You see, when I talk to someone from Marvel, DC, Sideshow or any other company, I don't enjoy them telling me about some of the things they read on this forum. Yes, it is publicly accessible but it is privately owned. That means that this becomes a reflection of me.
Many of you have developed an online affection with some sculptors and become very protective over them and this is becoming a problem. Some sculptors are no longer posting because of this. If nobody understood what Drew was trying to say, basically he's telling that the select ones need to chill out or get out. I'm actually tired of trying to be nice and "cutting a break". Well, no more. 98+% are awesome. The select few will either have to change, chill, ignore posts or walk away from the computer when they are inclined to create a bad post because it will no longer be accepted.
For the record, drew is "holier than thou". In my book, he has done so much for this forum behind the scenes and for this industry, he's earned that right. Yes, everyone has contributed here and everyone is important but he has gone above and beyond the majority on his own without asking for anything in return. So if you understood his post as just his position, let me clarify that. It is the position of many. We know because we read the pm's and I listen to the phone calls. So if everyone continues to say what they want and post what they want, as quickly as this forum grew, it will die. I'm not going to let that happen. If someone has a problem with any of this, feel free and shoot me a pm, come up to me at a show or call my office. You want to express your disagreement on a sculpt, fine. Just remember that there is a difference between being critical and insulting. If you can't see the difference, don't post.

Last edited by d rod; 11-24-2005 at 06:45 PM.
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote