Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-25-2017, 04:35 PM   #1041
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
That's why you go to places like Alamo Drafthouse, where the employees actively eject people who are annoying and/or looking at their phones.
My issue with that place are the obnoxious dumbasses that come into the theater already drunk and then drink more. Depending on the seating configuration, it can be a complete b!tch to get up and find someone who gives a damn. Doesn't happen too often, but once is more than enough for me.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:07 AM   #1042
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
You try Living Room Theaters yet?
Yes. There is a chain called Cinetopia here that has those and they're alright. I like that they're 21 and over but they have a full menu of food & drinks which means there is as much eating/drinking as there is movie watching. I'm not totally opposed to the concept but the items are over priced, they automatically charge you a 17% gratuity and are serving food throughout the trailers, which I find incredibly annoying. I get having an adult beverage but I really don't understand why people feel the need to eat an entire meal in the dark.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:36 AM   #1043
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I really don't understand why people feel the need to eat an entire meal in the dark.
Saves time doing two things at once.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #1044
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Probably California transplants, not Oregonians. They're like a virus that's continuing to spread up here now. They've ruined their state with overtaxation and unbearable cost of living expenses now they're fleeing in droves.
I'm sorry they're fleeing in your direction, but I sure as hell am glad whenever anyone leaves the state. It's way too crowded here. I would almost be willing to bet that half the people living in Los Angeles proper are transplants from other states. Everyone coming to "make it" in Hollywood, but they just end up working at Whole Foods.

The theater going experience is really disappointing these days around here. Even in the "higher end" theaters. It used to be that you could weed out the people who were more interested in their phones than the movie by paying a little more but apparently these people have very deep pockets that they can blow $20 on a movie and not even watch it.

My most recent negative experience was the IMAX screening of Alien: Covenant. The theater was half full, and a group of four adults showed up and sat a good ten rows ahead of me. I was towards the back of the theater and was the only person sitting in the row I was in, a few people in the rows ahead and behind, but I was basically all to myself. So after a couple of minutes, a guy from the group gets up and leaves them, and makes a beeline towards my general area where he proceeds to sit three seats to my right... and immediately pulls out his phone. Damn!! So I think alright, he's just going to use it until the trailers start. The trailers start and he's still going at it playing Candy Crush or one of those types of games. Now I'm worrying, but I still think well he just doesn't care about the trailers. The credits begin to roll and he's still going at it and now I'm getting pissed. He put the phone away right before the credits were over. So now the movie starts and everything is fine, then at about the 15 minute mark he reaches for his phone. He checks the time but doesn't put it back in his pocket. Here we go, I thought. And sure enough he began checking his phone constantly and finally about 30-40 minutes into the movie he started to play his game again, only looking up at the screen when it would get loud or something exciting was obviously happening. I ultimately just moved over to where he was out of my line of sight. I just don't get who does that, and it's not the first time either, I had almost the same thing happen to me last year when Pokemon Go was all the rage, it's ridiculous! I don't understand the mind set of people who go see a movie if they are not interested in it. And these are generally adult people I'm talking about in their 30's-40's.

Anyway, rant over. I have a bunch of stories on this subject, which is why I almost never go to the theater anymore.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #1045
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
My most recent negative experience was the IMAX screening of Alien: Covenant. The theater was half full, and a group of four adults showed up and sat a good ten rows ahead of me. I was towards the back of the theater and was the only person sitting in the row I was in, a few people in the rows ahead and behind, but I was basically all to myself. So after a couple of minutes, a guy from the group gets up and leaves them, and makes a beeline towards my general area where he proceeds to sit three seats to my right... and immediately pulls out his phone. Damn!! So I think alright, he's just going to use it until the trailers start. The trailers start and he's still going at it playing Candy Crush or one of those types of games. Now I'm worrying, but I still think well he just doesn't care about the trailers. The credits begin to roll and he's still going at it and now I'm getting pissed. He put the phone away right before the credits were over. So now the movie starts and everything is fine, then at about the 15 minute mark he reaches for his phone. He checks the time but doesn't put it back in his pocket. Here we go, I thought. And sure enough he began checking his phone constantly and finally about 30-40 minutes into the movie he started to play his game again, only looking up at the screen when it would get loud or something exciting was obviously happening. I ultimately just moved over to where he was out of my line of sight. I just don't get who does that, and it's not the first time either, I had almost the same thing happen to me last year when Pokemon Go was all the rage, it's ridiculous! I don't understand the mind set of people who go see a movie if they are not interested in it. And these are generally adult people I'm talking about in their 30's-40's.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #1046
protector2814
Phoenix

Feel your pain Marvelito - I can't tell you the last time I went to the movies where some jacka$$ didn't pull a cellphone & start looking at it during the movie. It happens every time now & with the people doing very similar things as what happened to you. Even older people in their 40's & 50's.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #1047
Marvelito

Quote:

Indeed!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #1048
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Feel your pain Marvelito - I can't tell you the last time I went to the movies where some jacka$$ didn't pull a cellphone & start looking at it during the movie. It happens every time now & with the people doing very similar things as what happened to you. Even older people in their 40's & 50's.
It's a real shame, but it's so common these days, I really just don't understand it. The hoops I have to go through to avoid negative experiences like that make it so my options are limited, and ultimately I just don't go. My home theater set up is good, so if I miss a movie I really want to see I will just buy the Blu-Ray if it's one I think I'll watch multiple times, otherwise I just Red Box it. There was a time I'd never have settled for that, but times have changed and not for the better. I don't feel the need to pay for aggravation, I get enough of it for free in my daily life.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #1049
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
It's a real shame, but it's so common these days, I really just don't understand it. The hoops I have to go through to avoid negative experiences like that make it so my options are limited, and ultimately I just don't go. My home theater set up is good, so if I miss a movie I really want to see I will just buy the Blu-Ray if it's one I think I'll watch multiple times, otherwise I just Red Box it. There was a time I'd never have settled for that, but times have changed and not for the better. I don't feel the need to pay for aggravation, I get enough of it for free in my daily life.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #1050
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Just crossed the $700 million mark. I think it will get close to $800 at the end of it's run.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote