Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #5051
danteipp
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlovelace View Post
This statue defied all collector assumptions. Collectors were wrong about the price, they were wrong about how fast it would sell out, and they were wrong about the chances of waitlist conversion. A paradigm shift I tell ya!
There is definitely truth in that statement. I think a lot of people were caught flat footed.

I know I struggled a bit with the price, even though I expected it to be over $1,000 the $1,200 price tag was a bit on the high end, right up to about an hour before the expected pre-order I was on the fence. Ultimately I figured I would rather have this statue than say the new Deadpool and the Groot/Rocket statues and took the plunge.

But I still think people are going to be OK if they missed out on the EX, provided they are patient. Given how far customs have come and can be produced in terms of quality and expediency, if the demand is there for a custom head similar to the EX head, it will be made. And odds are there will be demand for some custom Thanos parts.

Maybe keep an eye on the ES of the regs and try to get one with a coupon/discount code from SS or from a local retailer/distributor. You might be able to save on taxes and shipping. Then roll the savings into picking up a custom head. The key will prob be the ES of the reg and if they can be picked up locally or from a distributor trying to move stock.

I hope it all works out for everyone!
danteipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:05 PM   #5052
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Knight View Post
See I got the EX Thanos but did not get a SDCC17 ticket. I guess this is how it works.
Oh ...that's harsh. Sorry to hear that, Mr. Knight!

I had to attend both SDCC registrations to get the tickets I wanted ...Returning Registration and Open Registration. Thankfully I got all the tickets I wanted.

Thanos EX was the same way ...had to do whatever it took to get my PO in. Thankfully, I got an EX on PO.

Doesn't always work out ...I've been there. I feel ya, man.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:06 PM   #5053
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by danteipp View Post
Wow this statue and thread has it all. Excitement and joy, shock and disbelief, even the five stages of grief it seems. And we are just getting started.
Yup, so true!

One can actually track the stages of grief on this thread.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #5054
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf-brother View Post
Didn't need to listen to forps. When they announced the ES it was obvious to me it was going to sell out right away and I made sure I ordered as soon as it came up because I didn't want to take any chances. I thought it would go in an hour but it went even faster. Apparently $1200 was in no way a deterrent.
Yea, I must agree. I had a sense it was going to sell out, too. Tho, I didn't think it was going to be in minutes. But once the site started to struggle, I knew I had to get my order in quick. The site struggling was a telltale sign.

Good think I spent some time thinking about this piece the night before PO day. Had to decide if this piece was worth it for the price ...and how badly did I want it. Eventually decided, for me, it was worth it ...and wanted it. After that I just made sure I had access to the PO between 11am and 1pm PST.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:29 PM   #5055
Bob Morton
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I think what happened here is that people only kind of wanted it, but not for that price... and when it sold out it became more desirable and thereafter everyone wanted one!
Bob Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #5056
manboy
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Morton View Post
I think what happened here is that people only kind of wanted it, but not for that price... and when it sold out it became more desirable and thereafter everyone wanted one!
manboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #5057
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by danteipp View Post
There is definitely truth in that statement. I think a lot of people were caught flat footed.

I know I struggled a bit with the price, even though I expected it to be over $1,000 the $1,200 price tag was a bit on the high end, right up to about an hour before the expected pre-order I was on the fence. Ultimately I figured I would rather have this statue than say the new Deadpool and the Groot/Rocket statues and took the plunge.

But I still think people are going to be OK if they missed out on the EX, provided they are patient. Given how far customs have come and can be produced in terms of quality and expediency, if the demand is there for a custom head similar to the EX head, it will be made. And odds are there will be demand for some custom Thanos parts.

Maybe keep an eye on the ES of the regs and try to get one with a coupon/discount code from SS or from a local retailer/distributor. You might be able to save on taxes and shipping. Then roll the savings into picking up a custom head. The key will prob be the ES of the reg and if they can be picked up locally or from a distributor trying to move stock.

I hope it all works out for everyone!
The price of this thing was indeed a struggle ...for me, too.

I really thought this piece was going to be $899. So when the price was set to $1200 ...it was an automatic self-conflict. Talk about an internal debate in my head. I went back-and-forth so many times. But ....eventually came to terms and decided to get this.

I think I would've been ok with the REG (collector's edition) as well. It still looks great. But with the price, I would've considered a custom COH only if I got the REG at a discount.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #5058
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlovelace View Post
This statue defied all collector assumptions. Collectors were wrong about the price, they were wrong about how fast it would sell out, and they were wrong about the chances of waitlist conversion. A paradigm shift I tell ya!
I don't think anyone believes this will become the norm moving forward.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #5059
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

To think Darkseid and Lex Luther are more popular than Thanos and there statues aren't even sold out yet. They have a lower ES (though Darkseid EX is sold out) too and they are significantly cheaper then this (though not us detail but still has a bigger fan base amazes me).
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:59 PM   #5060
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

I keep looking at photos of this statue its such a masterful work, looks like mechanical spinal columns leading out from the skulls. Even the chair looks powerful, so much attention to detail even at the base of the chair, small mechanical rivets exposed at the bottom of the base(hell all over the chair), the gears along the pipping in the back and bottom, layers of space mechanical design. Simply amazing.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote