Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 10-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
Bobfrog
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Is a very cool idea; I suggested the use of this on one of my Dr Strange submissions (on a similar pose to the Dhalsim statue) but...

1) XM have already expressed their thoughts on using electronics i.e. lights at this stage in that they want to steer away due to the inevitable failure. That said I do think they were considering using lights on BW's street lamp but still I think they already have a lot on their plate without considering the logistics of getting this sort of thing in use. They are up to speed with everything from what I've seen so I wouldnt be surprised if they look into this down the line when everything is more established.

2) Levitating parts is fine in concept but you'd have to embed the magnetic parts in the piece so that would rule out a large proportion of ideas.
Darklogic - when you say you've seen lots of smaller items levitated are you referring to pieces on statues or just free floating items levitated above a magnetic base? I'm guessing the latter.

If we're talking about levitating a whole statue then that's another kettle of fish - a 1/4 scale solid polystone statue would need a beast of a magnet to levitate it.

3) price point - and this is why, when I mentioned it on my submission I sort of ruled it out. People are considering these to be expensive already so adding this sort of technology would hike it up even more. There seems to be enough demand though even at this price so they could well still sell enough but I would guess that they wouldn't sell out anywhere near as quick due to the drop in potential customers.

would love to see a floating silver surfer though thats for sure and if they could use it on a dr strange statue that would also be very cool! Looking forward to seeing what this technology can do down the line.
Bobfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Just imagine if it stops levitating....a smashed up statue is bound to happen.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
A floating silver surfer
MUST HAVE
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #14
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
Just imagine if it stops levitating....a smashed up statue is bound to happen.
Pretty much. Magnets do fail of if something in your house causes the pull to shift it could spell disaster. I would personally only want this concept attempted in a vinyl or PVC piece.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #15
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Pretty much. Magnets do fail of if something in your house causes the pull to shift it could spell disaster. I would personally only want this concept attempted in a vinyl or PVC piece.
I would only want it if it was pvc but definitely not resin/ polystone. It's a good ideal if it's 1000% guarantee it will work.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #16
Dark Logic
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Always a way to do a thing..Im certain XM would test reliability. If anything, selectively use this for smaller, lighter accessories that are relevant and would compliment a piece. We can worry about the larger stuff later as the tech becomes more practical for this application.
Dark Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #17
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Cool concept. Hopefully it gets used more frequently in the future by other companies.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #18
shorudan
XM Studios
Producer

Yup we're friends with Kinetiquettes and we're actually helping with their statue production! The magnetic levitation stuff is really cool and we did try to find ways of making it work for Magneto but like what most folks have posted here, it takes a large and powerful magnet to do that... based on the current technology, its likely we need to power the magnet. On a 1/4 scale heavy statue, it's too much of a risk with power failure or slight shifts - breakage is almost guaranteed if that happens on a 1/4 heavy statue. PVC or lighter material would be workable though.
shorudan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #19
Remember Me?
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorudan View Post
Yup we're friends with Kinetiquettes and we're actually helping with their statue production! The magnetic levitation stuff is really cool and we did try to find ways of making it work for Magneto but like what most folks have posted here, it takes a large and powerful magnet to do that... based on the current technology, its likely we need to power the magnet. On a 1/4 scale heavy statue, it's too much of a risk with power failure or slight shifts - breakage is almost guaranteed if that happens on a 1/4 heavy statue. PVC or lighter material would be workable though.
Then how about making the helmet out of PVC?
Remember Me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:23 PM   #20
khrisc
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember Me? View Post
Then how about making the helmet out of PVC?
This is great if it can be done!
khrisc is offline   Reply With Quote