Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 03-31-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Comic Book Reviews 3/30/05 Part I

Comics Reviews 3/30/05

Sam Wilson’s Comic Reviews

I would just like to start our this weeks reviews by saying a lot of really good books came out this week, and it was hard to pick just a couple. The Pulse, Astonishing X-Men, Outsiders, and Warren Ellis’s Ocean are all great books and worth checking out. That being said, on to the reviews.

Secret War issue #4 (of 5)
Marvel Comics
Written By: Brian Michael Bendis
Drawn by: Gabriele Dell‘Otto

Your wife or mom ever make a pie, your favorite kind of pie (mine is peach with a crumble top), and there it is sitting fresh, out of the oven? You say to yourself, damn. I could eat that whole pie. Not just a quarter, not half, but also the whole pie. With cool whip. And a glass of milk. That pie looks that good. Say you do eat that whole pie, and drink that milk, and finish that thing of cool whip. You take it in fast so you trick yourself into eating much more than you actually can. Then you spend the rest of the night wanting to puke so you don’t feel so damn sick, but you can’t. You just live there in misery saying, “what have I done?” This is how the powers that be at Marvel should be feeling about Secret War.

Secret War was a terribly invested project, which had strong ambitions to be Marvel’s Identity Crisis. A bunch of “dark” and non-dark, yet tough, heroes brought together to stop some sinister threat. Nick Fury calls up Spider Man, Daredevil, Wolverine (what, him again?), Black Widow, Luke Cage, Iron Man and Captain America to go to Latveria to overthrow the government. Why? Apparently the Prime Minister of Latveria has been secretly funding Marvel’s third tier tech superheroes, and that ain’t good. Fury tells the President, and he doesn’t care, so he assembles his rag-tag group of do-gooders to kick some butt and take some names. And then it all goes horribly wrong.

This story starts out in reverse order. We know our heroes already went to Latveria, and something went horribly wrong. So they came back and are all snippy with each other. Fine, great. But you know what? This book comes out whenever it damn well feels like it. I think the official release schedule was “bi monthly”. Okay, that never happened. So much time has passed from issue three that I don’t really give a crap about issue four. I don’t care about the third tier villains tearing things up. The story has lost its luster after such a long wait. Secondly, Black Widow is on the cover. Sweet. Love her. She’s hot. Cool. Okay. She is not in the story at all. What the hell? Isn’t that false advertising? Seriously, I mean, I know, don’t judge a book by its cover, but seriously, isn’t the cover supposed to be an accurate indication of what’s inside? Third, in each issue of Secret War so far, not only do we get the pleasure of late ship dates, but we only get HALF a frikkin’ story as well. The last 10 or so pages of each books gives us some “Nick Fury Secret Files” or some such crap. This issue featured mini bios of some third tier villains, some who were made up just for this series. Big frikkin deal. Wow. Who the hell cares about mini bios of third tier villains? How about something crazy like more story so we can have a little bit better idea what is going on? I mean slow build up fine, but we are one issue away from the end of the series and we still don’t know what the hell set the whole thing off.

I am not a Bendis hater. I like him, but I think his eyes were bigger than his stomach for this one. I could also give a crap about Gabriele Dell‘Otto’s art. If that’s the reason why the book is taking too long, that’s a pretty crappy reason. It’s too dark and murky, it’s like someone washed over every page with black watercolor. If you really want to buy this book, I’d wait for the TPB. It might make more sense by then.

Ultimate Secret issue #1 of (?)
Marvel Comics
Written By: Warren Ellis
Drawn By: Steve McNiven

I’m a big Warren Ellis fan, no question. I was first turned on to him when he took over Stormwatch for Wildstorm comics. Damn fine reading. He has believable characters and strong dialogue, and heavy sci-fi that comes out sounding educated, not contrived. Ultimate Secret delivers what I’ve come to expect from Ellis, all within the comfortable confines of the Ultimate Marvel Universe.

I’m not sure if any of you caught Ellis’s first story in the Ultimate Universe, Ultimate Nightmare, but I’m sure it’s going to be available in TPB soon. It does not directly relate to Ultimate Secret, but at some point they are supposed to connect (there is supposed to be a third Ellis Ultimate series at some point as well). Anyway, Ultimate Secret opens up at a SHIELD desert air base, and we are introduced to Captain Carol Danvers. Head of Security. Yowza. She’s fine. McNiven can draw the ladies. She’s guarding the Asis project, a prototype sub light speed spacecraft. She’s a bad ass from the get go. Of course, as prepared as she is things go wrong and we get an appearance by what I think is going to be the Ultimate Captain Marvel. I’m not going to say any more about the story other than that.

Check this book out. This first issue was a tease, but a good one. Once Ellis gets rolling, he really gets rolling, and all his classic elements are here, the dialogue, the science, all done sharply. McNiven’s art isn’t for everyone, but I like it. And damn if ultimate Carol Danvers isn’t fine. Buy it. Read it. If you’re disappointed, well, it is just my opinion after all. I can always be wrong.

Wktf’s Comics Reviews

Marvel Knights Spider-Man #12
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mark Millar
Drawn by: Terry & Rachael Dodson

This comic is my pick-of-the-week. This is the comic book issue I’ve most been anticipating for the last 12 months. This issue wraps up not only the four-part “Last Stand” arc but also the 12 month run of this creative team in which Spider-Man captured and outed the Green Goblin (confusing as Bendis did this, too, in The Pulse), Aunt May has been kidnapped by the Scorpion, Spider-Man is beaten nearly to death by Electro and the Vulture, Eddie Brock finally rejects and auctions off the Venom symbiot, the Scorpion becomes the new Venom, Spider-Man is forced to break Osborn out of prison or else Aunt May will be executed, MJ packs a gun for fear Osborn will pull a Gwen Stacy on her (smart woman) and Spider-Man, having defeated an army of his villains (with the help of the Avengers) now faces the Goblin who holds an unconscious MJ atop the George Washington Bridge.

Will Aunt May be saved? Will MJ die as Gwen did, or will she pull out that pistol and plant one between Norman’s eyes? Will Max Gargan (the Scorpion) become an all new and more powerful menace now that he’s Venom AND knows Spidey’s identity? All these questions and more led up to this issue and, while they didn’t all get answered as I’d hoped (I really would like to have seen MJ plant a bullet between the Goblin’s eyes), Mark Millar successfully and satisfyingly brings this and the prior three arcs to a close while leaving enough unresolved for future story lines to pursue. Peter’s desperation and MJ’s visceral fear are palpable, but nothing is as evident as how completely off his nut Norman Osborn truly is. Compare his ranting and ravings to Spider-Man at this story’s beginning to the lucid and warmly friendly letter he sends Peter at its close and you realize that, while the Goblin hates Spider-Man, Norman Osborn loves and respects Peter. The guys’ just whacked, and scarily so.

Millar’s story telling is wonderful, but I knew that already from his work on The Ultimates. Surprisingly, to me, his more adult and gritty take on Spider-Man really works. And I love that I couldn’t figure out the title of the first story arc until this very issue. I had some reservations about the Dodsons’ doing the art. Their cheese cake style really does nothing for me. Look at how Finch is doing Spider-Woman in New Avengers and you’ll see cheese cake doesn’t have to be the means toward sex appeal. But on this run, the Dodson’s art has been dark and moody, restrained but exciting. They were an inspired choice. This 12-issue run would make a fine HC book. Even though I’ve bought all 12 issues and the packaged trades, I’d certainly snatch this up if it’s produced.

Fantastic Four #524
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mark Waid
Drawn by: Mike Wieringo

Well, if Marvel Knights Spider-Man #12 was the issue I was most anticipating, this one was the one I was most dreading. Waid and Wieringo’s last issue on their historic Fantastic Four run. I’ve loved their stories: the recasting of the family as “Imaginauts,” the reimagining of Dr. Doom, the trip to Hell to save their son, the trip to Heaven to bring Ben back to the living, the smart and very different recent Galactus story. My concern for this issue was, having done so much great work, would this swan song issue be anti-climactic?

It is. In fact, it’s down-right dull. Reed had swapped Sue’s and Johnny’s powers prior to the aforementioned Galactus arc and, in an attempt to restore said powers to their rightful owners, all four of the team’s powers left their bodies and are jumping around from person-to-person in New York, creating lots of chaos and some humorous moments. Basically, the team goes chasing after their powers while bonding with each other in the most cliché of manners. At the end, their powers restored, they’re off on another adventure with renewed appreciation for each other and reveling in their lives as friends and superheroes.

Yawn. What a waste of my $2.99. And what an uninspiring ending to such a great creative run.

Countdown to Infinite Crisis
DC Comics
Written by: Geoff Johns, Greg Rucka, Judd Winick
Drawn by: Rags Morales, Ed Benes, Jesus Saiz, Ivan Reis, Phil Jemenez

Spoiler warning!

Here we have 80 pages of DC hype for only $1. For the number of pages, this should be a great value for the money. But I hated, hated, hated this comic book.

The center of this story is Ted Kord, the Blue Beetle. BB’s a character I’ve always liked, along with Booster Gold, from the old Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire mid-1980s Justice League series. Ted’s discovered a conspiracy against the world’s heroes. At the same time his own life is falling apart around him. His business is nearly bankrupt, someone is siphoning cash out of his firm, and his friends and superhero colleagues, the very same he’s trying to help in his investigation, don’t give him the time of day. In fact, the terribly callous way his fellow Justice Leaguers dismiss him, with utter disdain, as he goes to them for help, is just inexcusable. As he’s pursuing his investigation his house gets blown up, his dear friend Booster Gold is nearly killed, his flying bug is blown up, clearly he’s being targeted by someone, and the likes of Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter and even Oracle basically tell him to get lost and leave them alone. Wonder Woman says she believes him but, essentially, wishes him luck and then abandons him. Well, it’s not too much of a stretch to guess who the mystery victim is that Batman’s cradling in this issue’s much-hyped Jim Lee/Alex Ross cover, is it?

I’m sorry, I know DC’s trying to go for this more intense real-world feel for their universe, starting with the Identity Crisis series. But what we have here is an insecure second string hero going to the A-listers for help both for himself and for them, getting nothing but condescension and scorn, and then he ends up dead. Dead. Ted’s rejection by his fellow do-gooders is not only complete, it repeats over and over and over again in each successive chapter. I guess DC had to fill the 80 pages with something, even if it doesn’t advance the story. And now we’re going to suffer through tons of hero angst: “Oh, if only we’d listened to his cries for help” type dreck. Well, not me. Stick a fork in me, I’m done.

This issue also tries to lay some track for the Day of Vengeance, Omac Project, Villains United and Rann-Thanagar War series. It just feels forced, though. The only interesting sub-plot is the inference that Batman’s figured out that the Justice League mind-wiped him from the Identity Crisis story. In the end, even though I got to purchase 80 whole pages of “Infinite Crisis” (and what a pretentious title!) for only a dollar, I want my money back.

Part II of these reviews are on http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...666#post152666

Last edited by wktf; 03-31-2005 at 12:00 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:36 PM   #2
Babytoxie
Ghost

I'm glad to see that my apprehension at picking up Countdown to Infinite Crisis was justified. My LCS was selling it for 75 cents, and I still couldn't do it. Thanks guys!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:04 PM   #3
bat_collector
Galactus

I gotta disagree with Countdown. I haven't finished it yet ( at the spoiler) but I really liked the half of it I read, I mean really, really liked it.

Different strokes!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
Azog
Sailor Moon

ASTONISHING X-MEN #9

COVER BY: John Cassaday
WRITER: Joss Whedon
PENCILS: John Cassaday
INKS: John Cassaday

Looking for a new story plot for the A.X-Men, you gotta get this issue, even if you did not read #5 and 6 this one is great, will lead into the House of M this June very well. Try not to ruin for anyone, but Cerebro attacks and after all is said and done a new villian will be born, and next issue Prof. X graces the cover all in hype for House of M.....

BATGIRL #62
Written by Andersen Gabrych;
Art and cover by Alé Garza and Jesse Delperdang

What is it, we have been defining Cassandra Cain's character for 62 issues now, not to mention her roles in Catwoman and Batman.... Kicking off her life in Bludhaven, this is more or less a one shot comic to show Cassandra deals with defeat great read, does not lead into any follow up story, but gives stength to Cassandra and rehashes how she has gotten to where she is....

DAREDEVIL: REDEMPTION #3

COVER BY: Bill Sienkiewicz
WRITER: David Hine
PENCILS: Michael ***dos (apparantly this boared censors the word G-A-Y)
INKS: Michael ***dos

Honestly, John Grisham should be writing this series, its several of his novels rolled into the world of Matt Murdock. Less action and lots of story, great read for detective style comics, however I am starting to get the feeling the end will have a major twist...
Azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector
I gotta disagree with Countdown. I haven't finished it yet ( at the spoiler) but I really liked the half of it I read, I mean really, really liked it.

Different strokes!
Yep, you're right. Different strokes, for sure. Hey, also, my apologies about the spoiler but that's why I put the spoiler warning there, so those who don't want the spoiler will bypass the review.

As Sam Wilson has said, these are just our opinions and people will have different feelings. Here's one that's similar to mine, though...

http://www.thefourthrail.com/reviews...untdown1.shtml

...and one from the same site that's more similar to yours...

http://www.thefourthrail.com/reviews...untdown1.shtml

Thanks, b_c, diverse opinions are what makes life interesting.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:08 PM   #6
Car50n
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

i agree with the review. everything seemed way too forced, and also, i thought blue beetle changed his costume months ago...errr..way to go mister editor.
Keith Giffen's pulling what little hair he may have left. they are just butchering all the great character development his 80's JL run had. not to mention 'Formerly known as justice league" is one of the best books out right now.
i had a minor argument with my DC rep a few weeks ago about this and the subsequent mini-series and tie-ins. i might sell 15-20 copies of these sub-plots, but if the whole thing was put into one long series, under one title, i'd be selling 3 times as many. at last count, this thing might end up being almost 50 issues worth of books at an average of 2.50 to 3.00 a books, that's waaay too much.

ps. the 30 Seven Soldier books are supposed to be somehow intertwined with this as well.
Car50n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:29 PM   #7
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Joe and Sam, you guys rock

Thanks for the great reviews, the problem is that you make we want to go buy MORE than what I do already.........it is getting hard to hide this $hit from my wife!!!!!

I can't read these reviews anymore!!!!!!!
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:34 PM   #8
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

The best compliment we could hope for! Thanks, my friend!!
Old 04-01-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwf6171
Joe and Sam, you guys rock

Thanks for the great reviews, the problem is that you make we want to go buy MORE than what I do already.........it is getting hard to hide this $hit from my wife!!!!!

I can't read these reviews anymore!!!!!!!
Thanks brother, I hope you like Future Imperfect. To me personally it was one of the most important Hulk stories of the Last 15 years. Don't forget, in two weeks (April 13)to prepare for a double fisted serving of Batman: Year One, the new, fancy hardcover!
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote