Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 07-17-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
Dahwaf
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Future of DC Covergirls.

Hey guys, been meaning to make a thread like this for a while now and the recent Starfire announcement finally reminded me to do it!

This thread will serve to discuss the ever so popular DC Covergirls line of statues.
We started with Adam Hughes quite a few years back (which were, unquestionably, some of DC strongest statues to date). After that, we moved onto the short-lived New 52 statues with only Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Ivy, Harley and Death (Vertigo) released, all of which, failed to make such a strong impression like the Hughes pieces.
Now it looks like we're back on track with new designs by cover artist Stanley "Artgerm" Lau, with most sculpted by Jack Matthews.

(Sidenote: The Platinum statue was not designed by Artgerm! Sam Greenwell sculpted it, however I'm not sure where the design came from. It was included because of the matching base with the rest of the current line)

My question to you forum-ers is basically what are your favourite Artgerm pieces so far? What's been the biggest dissapointment so far?
Perhaps most excitedly, what characters are you hoping gets the Covergirls treatment?

Personally, I'm hoping for a Power Girl statue next, especially because Artgerm has drawn some fantastic sketches of her.
Dahwaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

My biggest disappointment is the scale is not quite to the AH line. Would have been great if they were the same scale so they would display well with the AH line.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
My biggest disappointment is the scale is not quite to the AH line. Would have been great if they were the same scale so they would display well with the AH line.

Actually, I think the scale is the same. It's the body types which are different. AH is very particular about his curves. The later cover girls statues have more of a Japanime feel to them.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Actually, I think the scale is the same. It's the body types which are different. AH is very particular about his curves. The later cover girls statues have more of a Japanime feel to them.
When looking at the AH and Artgerm PI's together in this thread http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=140073 the Argerm piece looks to be a tad bigger.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Mera looks just like Ivy except wearing a tiara.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
Frisky Dingo
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Black Canary but not in her ugly New 52 outfit. Prefer the classic fishnets and leather jacket look. However, fear we get the New 52 look since Artgerm has work out there of her in that outfit. Yet we did get the old Ivy outfit, so maybe there's hope!
Frisky Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
CommanderZx2
Hellboy

One thing I find odd about the current Cover Girls statues is that they don't seem to go together. They all look like individual pieces rather than part of a set.

Almost all of the AH statues had the same base, except for a name and used similar poses which gave them the appearance of a set. You can line them up and it's like having a chess set of cover girls.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
TheYoungWolf
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Honestly, I wish they would have just continued with Adam Hughes. His run is one of my favorite lines to date and while I love Stanley's work too, the quality just hasn't been translating from art to finish. That's not to say the newer pieces don't look good, however. Batwoman, Supergirl, Ivy and Mera all look incredible, imo. The rest have been somewhat hit and miss.

As for the future of the line, like I stated in the Starfire thread, I suspect they'll sprinkle in a few more re-dos akin to the new Ivy. Namely Wonder Woman, Harley and Catwoman.

Aside from those, I'm really interested in seeing Cassie Sandsmark Wonder Girl, Stephanie Brown Batgirl and New 52-outfitted Black Canary and Zatanna.
TheYoungWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
rykerw1701
Justice League

I think the future for these is pretty limited. I loved the AH line, and have all but a couple of them I didn't like. But the misfiring with the new 52 stuff and all the success of the Bombshells line I think will kill the Covergirls. The focus is Bombshells now. Covergirls are close to RIP, I'm sorry to say.
rykerw1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
built2shred
Phoenix

The biggest problem with Covergirl line is the poses are uninspiring and rather boring. Plus the sculpts on the newer ones have not been that good IMO. They also suffer from the same problem that SS has and that is they don't come close to looking like the prototypes.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote