Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 07-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #11
CallMeTheDoctor
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Posing, and bases seem to be the issue IMO.

I love the bombshell, and I guess it's because the nameplate are repeated, but with concept print, it makes them each look conformed but individually unique.

I kind of hope for a new reboot of this, hopefully with better contiguity and overall quality. Plus it would give me a reason to start a line, and not worry about finding the other ones
CallMeTheDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #12
memoria_hotel
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

A return to Adam Hughes art is the only thing I can imagine will save this line.

The Artgerm piece just don't do it for me. A lot of the girls in his line look drowsy/ bored. Their poses are uninspired. Proportions are wonky. Then there's those god-awful bases!!

So far, the only home-run for me has been Ivy. I wonder if it's because she's in her classic costume? I would be cool with getting Artgerm versions of Catwoman, Harley, and WW only if they're in classic outfits. Honestly, I'd prefer yet another reboot with another artist (like Ryan Sook).
memoria_hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #13
dechirico7
The Flash

They are somewhat inconsistent, like most have stated. It is like they started the line with more museum poses and have gradually went to more dynamic poses. Which makes sense why they don't display the best together. I am not a fan of the body shape they use. It wouldn't be so bad if they varied it. They all look like the same woman in cosplay. I also think the heads on some of these look slightly small for their bodies, but it could be me.

I still have to give the line props though. They tackled a lot of characters that we have been dying to see. Instead of the same ole characters that we have seen in line after line.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #14
Assassin
Frackin!

I don't like the bases on this line
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:58 AM   #15
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

I wouldn't mind seeing them start the line over with a new artist. Amanda Conner might be a good choice. Her style would offer something a little different and hopefully more expressive and energetic than these Artgerm statues have been. Some of the Woman of the DCU busts that were based on her art turned out really nice when they weren't plagued by QC problems or sculpts that failed at replicating her art in 3D. I love her Batusi Batgirl bust especially.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:05 AM   #16
Doctor Doom
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
I don't like the bases on this line
+1
Doctor Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:13 AM   #17
DigitalGuido
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicksplode View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing them start the line over with a new artist. Amanda Conner might be a good choice. Her style would offer something a little different and hopefully more expressive and energetic than these Artgerm statues have been. Some of the Woman of the DCU busts that were based on her art turned out really nice when they weren't plagued by QC problems or sculpts that failed at replicating her art in 3D. I love her Batusi Batgirl bust especially.
I was just thinking the same thing. Amanda's designs exude personality. These just don't. I love Artgerm's artwork, but it doesn't come close to Hughes, Conner or even Dodson in personality and sex appeal combined.
DigitalGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:40 AM   #18
Assassin
Frackin!

I love Artgerms work but ... his designs seem like one girl cosplaying as numerous heroines. Maybe it's just me.
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #19
Dahwaf
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I think it's interesting how much of us would like to go back to the Adam Hughes-era of Covergirls.
As much as I would love that to happen, I don't see it happening. I think the New 52 Covergirls and subsequent Artgerm-inspired ones were deeply related to the fact the New 52 even came about (bringing in new readers, etc). A lot of the characters we're seeing, particularly Platinum, Batwoman, Mera, Katanna and even Starfire, are really shining in the New 52, either in a solo book or as part of a team book/crossover event. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Joker's Daughter statue soon, considering how much DC has invested in her.
I do love that about the Artgerm pieces. We're getting some really interesting characters and each new reveal is genuinely surprising. (Honestly, who thought we'd EVER get a Platinum statue??? Or even Katanna or Mera?!) The only downside to having really different characters, however, is that when they are displayed together, they seem really muddled and incoherent, e.g. I can't imagine putting Batgirl next to Mera, or Batwoman next to Starfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicksplode View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing them start the line over with a new artist. Amanda Conner might be a good choice.
I think getting a new artist is the only direction that could go in at this point to really reinvigorate this line.
I feel like they'll have a really big character, like Wonder Woman or Catwoman, by a new artist to introduce the next line of Covergirls.
Dahwaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #20
TheYoungWolf
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahwaf View Post
I think it's interesting how much of us would like to go back to the Adam Hughes-era of Covergirls.
As much as I would love that to happen, I don't see it happening. I think the New 52 Covergirls and subsequent Artgerm-inspired ones were deeply related to the fact the New 52 even came about (bringing in new readers, etc). A lot of the characters we're seeing, particularly Platinum, Batwoman, Mera, Katanna and even Starfire, are really shining in the New 52, either in a solo book or as part of a team book/crossover event. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Joker's Daughter statue soon, considering how much DC has invested in her.
I do love that about the Artgerm pieces. We're getting some really interesting characters and each new reveal is genuinely surprising. (Honestly, who thought we'd EVER get a Platinum statue??? Or even Katanna or Mera?!) The only downside to having really different characters, however, is that when they are displayed together, they seem really muddled and incoherent, e.g. I can't imagine putting Batgirl next to Mera, or Batwoman next to Starfire.

I think getting a new artist is the only direction that could go in at this point to really reinvigorate this line.
I feel like they'll have a really big character, like Wonder Woman or Catwoman, by a new artist to introduce the next line of Covergirls.
I think everyone can agree that Adam's classic run is more preferable to what we're currently getting. You're right though, the idea behind it was obviously New52 - new artist.

As for the line continuing under a different artist, like Connor or Dodson, I disagree with you. As great as their work is, I can't see it happening for sure, unless there's another event on the horizon that would warrant the switch. Like you said, a lot of these characters in the line have become somewhat of a focus in the New 52 (I'm not going to throw words like shining out there, because to me, that's implying that they're all inherently good). So what happens when they cover all of that ground? Do they go for the minor, more obscure characters, or do they start rehashing old names with another new artist again just because they can? The first option seems unlikely, and the second is a viable solution, but seems equally unlikely without context or cause.

I'm of the belief that Stanley still has plenty of work to be done here. Afterwards, I see them dropping it altogether. He and the New52 provided them with an outlet to continue the Cover Girls line. Without an obvious course of action going forward, DC's go-to is usually to streamline or overhaul. Streamlining didn't necessarily work the first time and as someone pointed out earlier, the Bombshell line can already be considered an overhauled alternative.
TheYoungWolf is offline   Reply With Quote