Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #111
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Loved Flash.. Watching Gotham.. but i think Flash is way better... I still need to get past the first season of Arrow.. sigh..
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #112
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

The
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
Because we all know that ratings = quality...

It's cool to like comics right now so all shows will do well in the ratings war.

Gotham has promise but personally I don't see how you can rate it higher than Flash and Arrow. Gotham right now seems like it's struggling trying to figure out what it wants to be. Characters are all over the place and only Penguin and Bullock are the bright lights in a struggling cast. Fish is decent but I'm not watching a Bat-esque show for Fish
I agree. Flash and Arrow are primarily steered towards superhero action TV aficionados while Gotham towards everyone else. The unpretentious approach of the first two shows, makes them a pleasure to watch due to the infusion of a good dose of fan service.

Gotham on the other hand, in its desired to please the masses, suffers an early identity crisis. It tries to be a sophisticated cop show, a modern gritty drama, an unwarranted Dark Knight prequel, all at once, that it fails miserably on the daunting task. In time, the lack of a proper footing and a main focus will be the show's demise. Specially, when the "next best thing" comes around.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #113
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Because we all know that ratings = quality...

It's cool to like comics right now so all shows will do well in the ratings war.

Gotham has promise but personally I don't see how you can rate it higher than Flash and Arrow. Gotham right now seems like it's struggling trying to figure out what it wants to be. Characters are all over the place and only Penguin and Bullock are the bright lights in a struggling cast. Fish is decent but I'm not watching a Bat-esque show for Fish
Yeah that must mean The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are horrible shows since they have high ratings

Odds are Flash will be Smallville 2.0, they're using the same basic formula, lame love triangle (Barry/Clark - Iris/Lana - Eddie/Lex) and the monster/bad guy of the week infected by speed force (kryptonite)

I hope I'm wrong and it ends up being better but after the first episode it looks like that's the direction they're going in. Still the first episode was pretty good.

Arrow has had multiple lame love triangles... The first season came out with a strong story but the second season story was meh at best, but the meat and potatoes of Arrow has always been the back story IMO, that part of Arrow has been very interesting and is pretty much why I watch the show...

I thought season 3 started out pretty good although I have a bad feeling that
Spoiler
Laurel is going to be Black Canary after seeing her sister die which is really lame given she has no fighting skills at all
... but I'm sure they'll find out some way to explain it.... kind of of like Lana became a superhero in Smallville... Lame...

Anyways Flash and Arrow are entertaining but IMO Gotham is more interesting, the dark humor also reminds me a bit of Batman 1989
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #114
Tarasadies
Frackin!

Flash showed real potential.... I just hope the show continues to have a sense of humor, I gave up on Arrow because it completely lacked any humor...
Tarasadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #115
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Yeah that must mean The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are horrible shows since they have high ratings

Odds are Flash will be Smallville 2.0, they're using the same basic formula, lame love triangle (Barry/Clark - Iris/Lana - Eddie/Lex) and the monster/bad guy of the week infected by speed force (kryptonite)

I hope I'm wrong and it ends up being better but after the first episode it looks like that's the direction they're going in. Still the first episode was pretty good.

Arrow has had multiple lame love triangles... The first season came out with a strong story but the second season story was meh at best, but the meat and potatoes of Arrow has always been the back story IMO, that part of Arrow has been very interesting and is pretty much why I watch the show...

I thought season 3 started out pretty good although I have a bad feeling that
Spoiler
Laurel is going to be Black Canary after seeing her sister die which is really lame given she has no fighting skills at all
... but I'm sure they'll find out some way to explain it.... kind of of like Lana became a superhero in Smallville... Lame...

Anyways Flash and Arrow are entertaining but IMO Gotham is more interesting, the dark humor also reminds me a bit of Batman 1989
Remember when Agents of Shield had high ratings... yup, that's what I was talking about

In all honesty, I got bored of Walking Dead in the middle of last season. The snail paced episodes killed it for me.

GoT has always been a gem though

I hear what you're saying about Flash and hopefully it doesn't go the same route as Smallville. If it does, hopefully it maintains the solid writing at least. Smallville didn't fizzle out because of the love triangle, it had way more problems that were never fixed.

I enjoyed S2 of Arrow so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasadies View Post
Flash showed real potential.... I just hope the show continues to have a sense of humor, I gave up on Arrow because it completely lacked any humor...
Arrow set the tone for Ollie right from the start. Don't know why you expected a humorous role in this one. I actually like it as for too long he's been the jester of the comic world. I like seeing him more serious.
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #116
randy_marsh
I am da law!

Quote:
Remember when Agents of Shield had high ratings... yup, that's what I was talking about

In all honesty, I got bored of Walking Dead in the middle of last season. The snail paced episodes killed it for me.
I have to agree here, I found the 4th season really dipped. I'm probably looking less forward to this 5th season than many people on here. I for one really feel that sadly they will run this series 8-9 or more seasons and milk it too much and it will become damn near a joke.

Anyway I just watched the Flash pilot and really liked it so far.I can't wait to see more episodes of it.
randy_marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #117
built2shred
Phoenix

There doing a spin-off of Walking Dead.... It's going to show what's happening on other parts of the world... I never got into Walking Dead until a friend got me the first 4 seasons on Blu-ray and I watched them all within a week, I got hooked big time, can't wait for this Sunday for Season 5 to start up.

Quote:
Smallville didn't fizzle out because of the love triangle, it had way more problems that were never fixed.
I liked the first 5 seasons of Smallville, after season 5 the creators of Smallville left due to pressure from DC wanting to have more say in the stories, so seasons 6-10 was pretty much all done by DC with several comic book writers doing episodes... Needless to say season 6-10 were the worst seasons... Sometimes being good at writing comic book stories does mean your good at writing live to tv shows...

Quote:
Agents of Shield lost 40% of their viewers after the first episode... then lost another 13% after episode 2 before stabilizing...

Biggest problem with all these type of sci-fi shows is their liked by geeks like us, but most geeks use Torrent to watch them which usually ends up killing the show after a few years.... Only chance these shows have is if they're popular with the general viewers who don't d/led them...
Old 10-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #118
protector2814
Phoenix

I'm now really starting to want Flash TV actor, Grant Gustin to take the part to the big screen. I love his take.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #119
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I absolutely love Flash. I've only watched a few episodes of Arrow but I need to catch up. Flash is looking really solid! The acting is great, and the FX are awesome! Runnin on the treadmill was awesome. That was the only thing i was concerned about when I heard they were doing this show. No question, some of the FX aren't as good as the others, but, still great! Still need to watch Gotham, got em all on DVR. Also, you guys should def give TWD another shot. This seasons premiere was fantastic.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:05 AM   #120
built2shred
Phoenix

This last episode of Flash pretty much earned the title Smallville 2.0

Smallville when Kryptonite contamination gave the bad guy the power to duplicate

The Flash where speed force contamination gave the bad guy the power to duplicate

Not to mention the long speech he gave to Iris about how he loves her but can't tell her the truth because he's now a superhero yadda yadda..... Clark and Lana all over again.... (sigh)

I was really hoping this wouldn't be another Smallville.... I'll give it a few more episodes but looks like my prediction is coming true..

At least in smallville he had to be naked to duplicate, never could figure out how the bad guy in flash could not only duplicate himself but clothing and weapons too....