Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 11-16-2020, 03:59 PM   #831
gra007
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
Once you're older, you realize how silly a zombie Catwoman with 9 lives is. And some of the circus thugs are silly too. I still love the movie though. I think the Burton films still hold up unlike the next two. I actually rewatched the Nolan trilogy and only really liked Begins.
The whole Catwoman eating a bird / Penguin making bat-shadows on the ceiling / Catwoman bathing herself scene is the one that made me step back and realize just how silly it all was after not having watched it in some time. I remembered the scene of course, I know the movie very well, but it's very bizarre watching it as an adult. That doesn't mean I don't love the movie any less, but you'd never get a scene like that in a Batman movie now.
gra007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:00 PM   #832
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Nolan vs. Burton. Who you got?

I think a lot people are so used to the serious tone of Nolan's that the stylized and somewhat silly take of Burton's is almost alien. I can see why some old people would "get off my lawn" about it.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:02 PM   #833
saberhagen
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
Nolan vs. Burton. Who you got?

I think a lot people are so used to the serious tone of Nolan's that the stylized and somewhat silly take of Burton's is almost alien. I can see why some old people would "get off my lawn" about it.
If Dark Knight Rises had never come out, I'd probably say I like the Nolan ones more, but I hated that movie so much it dragged down The Dark Knight a good bit. The first two are also the only Nolan movies I like other than Memento. I can't relate to a man so self serious he only wears suits.

I love the Burton ones because they have great atmosphere, design, performances, and they're fun. A little silly, sure, but not to Schumacher or '66 levels. And not Snyder levels of ultra dark and gritty.

I also like that the Burton ones live in a comic book world more than Nolan or the upcoming movie. My favorite villains are ones like Clayface or Poison Ivy, I can suspend my disbelief to enjoy a world where they exist without hyper-realistic origins. Cat lady has nine lives? Sure, cool. Plant powers? Whatever, I'm in. A shape-shifting man made of clay? Yes, please.
saberhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:12 PM   #834
batmbeyond
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberhagen View Post
If Dark Knight Rises had never come out, I'd probably say I like the Nolan ones more, but I hated that movie so much it dragged down The Dark Knight a good bit. The first two are also the only Nolan movies I like other than Memento. I can't relate to a man so self serious he only wears suits.

I love the Burton ones because they have great atmosphere, design, performances, and they're fun. A little silly, sure, but not to Schumacher or '66 levels. And not Snyder levels of ultra dark and gritty.

I also like that the Burton ones live in a comic book world more than Nolan or the upcoming movie. My favorite villains are ones like Clayface or Poison Ivy, I can suspend my disbelief to enjoy a world where they exist without hyper-realistic origins. Cat lady has nine lives? Sure, cool. Plant powers? Whatever, I'm in. A shape-shifting man made of clay? Yes, please.
well said
batmbeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:20 PM   #835
#Brian
Shadowhawk

Quote:

Sam Rami always wears a suit. Does that make him self serious? He seems pretty down to earth.
#Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:25 PM   #836
saberhagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Brian View Post
Sam Rami always wears a suit. Does that make him self serious? He seems pretty down to earth.
Sam Raimi and Nolan could not be more different, suits notwithstanding. Comedy has always been a big part of his movies. Burton Batman and Raimi Spider-Man have a lot in common.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:11 AM   #837
#Brian
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Sam Raimi and Nolan could not be more different, suits notwithstanding. Comedy has always been a big part of his movies. Burton Batman and Raimi Spider-Man have a lot in common.
Like Danny Elfman scores.

I get your point, but still, to my point, you can't judge a person based on the fact that they only wear suits. Lol
#Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:51 AM   #838
saberhagen

I don't like Nolan because his stuff is overly pretentious. Highly technical (while needlessly contorted) and impressive, but also sterile and off putting. Too many of his characters feel like they were run through an AI. Suits are just a reinforcing behavior I don't like lol.

Most people love him, but I really only like the Batman movies where his signatures are restrained somewhat.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:08 AM   #839
WhistlingTime
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
Nolan vs. Burton. Who you got? ...
I’d have to go Nolan because I liked 2 out of 3 as opposed to 1 of 2 of Burton’s.

While the styles are obviously worlds apart, the focus of each director was very different too. Nolan’s trilogy looked much closer at Batman/Bruce’s journey whereas Burton was far more interested in the villains’ story.

I never really understood the appeal of Burton’s Catwoman - always seemed a very odd characterisation to me. Definitely prefer Nolan’s, but, in my opinion, they were both stuck in movies that weren’t great. I would’ve liked to see Nolan’s Selina introduced earlier to give her more time to develop.
WhistlingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #840
saberhagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlingTime View Post
I’d have to go Nolan because I liked 2 out of 3 as opposed to 1 of 2 of Burton’s.

While the styles are obviously worlds apart, the focus of each director was very different too. Nolan’s trilogy looked much closer at Batman/Bruce’s journey whereas Burton was far more interested in the villains’ story.
I have a terrible confession. I'm also much more interested in the villains

Looking at preorders, I'll have 12 rogues statues (and 2 Batgirls) before I ever pick up a Batman.

You're right, though. I'm pretty sure Returns is officially the movie with the least Batman screen time. Affleck aside.