Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-27-2007, 12:45 PM   #1111
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

I have the Sony 46" XBR4 and I experience some "clouding" during dark scenes. This is pretty common and there is even rumor that Sony will released a firmware upgrade for this, but I really don't know how much "clouding" you can fix with an upgrade. But aside from that, the TV ROcKS!!
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:47 PM   #1112
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
Yeah, it's the XBR4 that I'm looking at. It's definitely pricey (like all Sony tvs), but based on my research, it's performance is second to none. My second choice is a nice 46" Samsung LCD that's a lot cheaper, but I still haven't decided yet. This Samsung series has received great reviews, but it's not the best hehe.
I know a bit about LCDs

And IMO if you can get the Sammy 71 series for 300$ or cheaper than the xbr4 you should. The xbr4 is a bit better but there is hardly a difference except glossy screen on the 71 (which some prefer and some don’t) and off angle viewing isn’t as good on the 71.

The XBR4 is definitely a great set however it isn’t the best atm, the Samsung 81series is arguably the best set even better than the top of the line plasma, which is a first in LCD history.
Read the review
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...tag=prod.txt.1

Only negative I’m hearing on the 81series is again the off angle viewing isn’t as good. In its early stages there were some bugs this is pretty new technology but the TVs have been upgraded since and I’ve seen no further complaints on AVSforums last I checked.

I had a 65series got it discounted and then upgraded to 71series for free with my warrantee. I can vouch for it, the off angle viewing isn’t good that’s for sure but otherwise side by side comparison, the xbr4 was a bit better but in my situation it would have cost me 900$ more plus a warrantee (at discounted prices) so it wasn’t worth it.

In terms of the defects all LCDs have their downside: the XBR4 have minor clouding issues vs the 81series poor side angle viewing.

With these high in quality sets I think they are all up there but from what I’m hearing the 81series is a bit ahead of most sets but IMO the price you pay for it is what’s important.
Judging by the prices at bestbuy.com
I don’t think they have the best prices you might want to look around but the xbr4 is 100bucks more than the 71series so I say go xbr4 all the way.
However the 81series is 500 more than the xbr4 whether it’s worth it or not to you, you have to decide. I haven’t seen an 81 yet, my advice is to compare it with the same source beside a xbr4 if you don’t notice a huge difference I doubt its worth you’re 500 bucks to a videophile it might be , but to most it isn’t. The only problem with that is sometimes BB has crappy sources displayed on their sets.

If you have the loot and want the absolute best set get the 81series for sure, this way you’re TV will be ahead of most sets in quality over the next year or so.
DSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #1113
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Thanks for the info, Dset. I was looking at the XBR today. Even though the source was bad, the differences were still noticable. Mostly the 18,000/1 contrast ratio. The blacks and overall contrast are just smokin on the XBR and it easily dusted every other set at the store. I still haven't made a decision for certain, but the XBR is still the front runner. I'll do some searching about the 71 and 81 sets.

50,000/1 contrast ratio....wow...The 81 sounds amazing. It's stupid expensive though. The 46 (which is the smallest set I'll buy) is in the 4k area. No way I'll pay that much. Gah!..what to do.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:23 PM   #1114
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLoco View Post
I have the Sony 46" XBR4 and I experience some "clouding" during dark scenes. This is pretty common and there is even rumor that Sony will released a firmware upgrade for this, but I really don't know how much "clouding" you can fix with an upgrade. But aside from that, the TV ROcKS!!
Hmm..that's the first I've heard about this problem. I know earlier models had this issue, but I thought they'd licked it for the 46" XBR series. Interesting. After doing some more searches on this, I've founf that this is a common occurance with this series. What's it like? Is it something that really distracts you?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #1115
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Just watched At Worlds End. The picture and sound is incredible.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:47 PM   #1116
Trilogy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Yep, it`s one of Blu-rays best.
Trilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:32 PM   #1117
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Picked up my first BD today. Ratatouille. I had to watch it in 720p, but it was my first time seeing it and I loved it. Pixar never disappoints. I can't wait to see it in 1080p.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:02 AM   #1118
Red X
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I got Super Bad and TMNT for christmas!
Red X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:02 AM   #1119
Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
Picked up my first BD today. Ratatouille. I had to watch it in 720p, but it was my first time seeing it and I loved it. Pixar never disappoints. I can't wait to see it in 1080p.
There`s very little difference, unless you have a huge screen.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:02 AM   #1120
Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red X View Post
I got Super Bad and TMNT for christmas!
Nice.