Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-01-2015, 10:10 PM   #1
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Help to decide new Red Sonja PF

Hello guys,

I need your help to make a decision about the new Red Sonja, the prototype paint looks phenomenal and out of this world but I doubt the production pieces will come out like that.

My only experience with a statue with great amount of skin/flesh displayed was Wonder Woman PF and it was a horrible one, so to people who got the previous one, or got the various Conan or other statues with 'human skin', how good they came out?

Thanks guys.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #2
wanderlai
The Tick

The last Sonja' s skin tone came out terrible. The Conan' s though were done well.
wanderlai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:47 PM   #3
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

The Wonder Woman I received actually had a solid paint app that was comparable to the prototype except for on the hands and cheap plastic shield (I understand if the weight of a polystone or metal shield being a potential breakage risk, but it helped to devalue the whole piece for me.)

Sonja's paint app relies more on the mold retaining the porous skin texture through mass production than the tonal accuracy the previous Sonja seemed to have. As long as you factor out the flattering but staged lighting in the Sideshow photos, I think the quality is achievable.

However, if you're wavering enough to start a thread about it, unless you really love the EX, I'd wait for in-hand pictures, which is what I'll likely do. The reward point giveaways of late have made the pre-order beyond tempting, but I can't morally justify the price increase until I see the quality for myself.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:51 PM   #4
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

You can't base your opionin on one example of one statue. You can set SS pieces right next to each other and they can have vast differences in paint quality and color. My WW was very well done, my 1st Red Sonja was terrible. Depends on the day/painter/weather/etc...

I would order it and send it back if you are not happy. I am still getting her even after the 1st one disappointed me so much(it will go back too if this version arrives with poor colors/application like the 1st)
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:13 PM   #5
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

The 2nd RS IMHO is way overpriced. I still haven't preordered it and i really don't want to use my Rp on it. This coming from a guy that buys almost every female statue PFs that ssc has ever produced. This should had been no more then $475 and that's stretching it.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:28 AM   #6
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
The 2nd RS IMHO is way overpriced. I still haven't preordered it and i really don't want to use my Rp on it. This coming from a guy that buys almost every female statue PFs that ssc has ever produced. This should had been no more then $475 and that's stretching it.
Agreed. I hope everyone who pre-ordered gets the high-quality statue that was advertised; but I'm a little discouraged that even those pessimistic about the production piece are eagerly or reluctantly accepting the price. The EX will almost undoubtedly sell enough for SS to continue this inflated price as the standard going forward, if not raising it further.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:06 AM   #7
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
Agreed. I hope everyone who pre-ordered gets the high-quality statue that was advertised; but I'm a little discouraged that even those pessimistic about the production piece are eagerly or reluctantly accepting the price. The EX will almost undoubtedly sell enough for SS to continue this inflated price as the standard going forward, if not raising it further.
It's one thing for people willing to spend big $$$ on one certain statue, it's another to accept it for all the statues the company makes... If SS thinks they're going to be able to make $500+ the normal price for all their PF's there going to see a big drop in sales IMO.... But I've been wrong before so will have to wait and see.

I'll be curious to see how well Aquaman does at the $430 price point... I think what made SS big was people were able to afford the $200-$300 statues they used to make, now that they are moving close to the $500 mark I'm not sure all these customers will stay... I could see people having to switch to the lower cost 1/6 scale just to stay in the hobby....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:28 AM   #8
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
It's one thing for people willing to spend big $$$ on one certain statue, it's another to accept it for all the statues the company makes... If SS thinks they're going to be able to make $500+ the normal price for all their PF's there going to see a big drop in sales IMO.... But I've been wrong before so will have to wait and see.

I'll be curious to see how well Aquaman does at the $430 price point... I think what made SS big was people were able to afford the $200-$300 statues they used to make, now that they are moving close to the $500 mark I'm not sure all these customers will stay... I could see people having to switch to the lower cost 1/6 scale just to stay in the hobby....
Yeah, I definitely see the bubble bursting if this pricing carries over to their other licensed lines. I'd almost consider pre-ordering if the checkout cart included a special message section where I could write "Listen, Sideshow. I'm only doing this once, so don't get too cocky."

Right now, the only company I've dipped into 1/6th for is Tweeterhead, but I don't see it becoming a trend for me, even though it'd ease money and space concerns. Part of the appeal is the presence 1/4 has, which this Sonja definitely isn't lacking.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #9
Spam Filter
The Herculoids

I loved the prototype but I decided against it because of the price. However my wife decided to get it for me as my Christmas present (for this year and next year lol).

But I definitely think the recent price inflation is ridiculous and I have decided to cut back significantly. This piece is the only one I have on order from Sideshow.
Spam Filter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #10
Collectorcol
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

After waiting for an ES to be announced think I'm gonna buy me some Chronicle Dinos instead.
Collectorcol is offline   Reply With Quote