Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 04-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
Drengi
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

What paints...

I was wondering what paints do you guys use?

I use most Vallejo and Tamiya paints. Also got a brand of freak flex with discount, but they come out to be very expensive since they came all the way from the US to Portugal.

I've seen a lot of talk about Createx and Liquitex....
Any of the European crew out there manage to get them anywhere in Europe? I've seen that Createx got a representative in Germany.

Laters
Drengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Createx is fine to use, just is very rubbery straight out of the tube. Can be thinned with water for shades, and mixed with any brand of paint (least the tests i have tried) to get differnt types of thickness.

I like to mix badger paints with Createx, since badger is such a wet paint, it thins createx and had nice rich pigments. Seems like those two work well with each other.

Also i i like createx pearlized colors, since i use them a lot.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Like many model painters, I use it all. Depending on what you are doing and the effect you are trying to create, they all have their place. My thoughts are to try as many different paints and test them to try and get yourself familiar with how they are applied and what works to meet your style of painting.

Airbrush Ready

Freestyle - These are my personal favorite airbrush ready paints and are the easiest paints I have ever used. Great out of the bottle, direct to airbrush paints. Excellent coverage with fine smooth spraying. Large color selection with perfect opaque colors and great transparent colors as well. Also, these paints dry very hard and hold up well to handing.

Golden - Great paints as well! I love the transparent paints in this line but the opaque colors don't cover well. They are not very strong paints and can wear off the piece prior to sealing.

ComArt - Very nice paints with good selection of opaque and transparent colors. The paints seem thin and take more to get coverage. They are not very strong paints and can wear off the piece prior to sealing.

Createx - I don't use these through my airbrush, very thick paint that I find still needs to be thinned and once sprayed, leaves a rubbery feel to the cured paint. I actually use the createx paints for washes and glases from time to time.

Badger Air Opaque, Badger Freak Flex, Badger Model Flex - These are nice and tough paints with excellent strength once cured on your piece. They can be difficult to spray and may clog the airbrush, I recommend a basic basecoating airbrush when spraying these to apply simple base coats.

FW Inks - Incredible paint to thin with alcohol for ultra fine detailing. But the are very fragile colors that need to be sealed.

Dr P.H. Martins Spectralite - Very thick paints that need to be thinned

Alclad - What can I say...their airbrush Chrome II paint is incredible!

Testors Metalizer - Fantastic spray and coverage with some great color choice.

Hobby Paints

Vallejo - These are my personal favorite hobby paints. The brush on very nice and are easily thinned for airbrush work. Excellent fine pigment to help lay your colors down smooth without excessive brush strokes.

Tamiya - Fantastic paints with some great specialty paints as well. Using the Tamiya Clear for candy coat work is tops! These paints work ok for brushing and work well when thinned with Tamiya thinner or alcohol for airbrushing.

Testors - Huge color selection, overall a good paint

Citadel and Games Workshop - These are great and the metallic colors are great for hand brush work. I also like their inks and washes for doing small spot washes on areas.

Pactra - Lots of great colors, but the paint tends to be a bit ....grainy.

Gunze Sanyo - These paints are similar to Tamiya in workability

Craft Paints Now, overall...craft paints can come in handy, but these paints are typically a very low end paint with coarse pigment. I have seen colors fade over time if used in large areas.

Delta Ceramcoat - HUGE color selection and I have found that these seem to cover better than other craft paints

Well...the rest (AppleBarrel, Folk Art, Anitas, etc...) they are a horse a piece.

Fine Art Paints

Well, I use many here.

Liquitex and Golden tube paints - Great acrylic paints!

Winsor and Newton - Great oil paints!

Grumbacher, Dr. P.H. Martins, and Winsor and Newton all make wonderful watercolor paints (to thin and use for washes)

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
Drengi

Thanks fellas will go through the portuguese black market and see what I can get by trading my wife.

Sticky all the way!!!!
Was this a pertinent thread or just a damn boring one
Old 04-05-2008, 12:46 AM   #5
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Vallejo - These are my personal favorite hobby paints. The brush on very nice and are easily thinned for airbrush work. Excellent fine pigment to help lay your colors down smooth without excessive brush strokes.
I just ordered the suitcase of the Game colors ... got a TERRIFIC deal on ebay.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
Drengi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
Lucky bastard!!!!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:42 PM   #7
Black Cat
Thunderstrike

Do you have to use an airbrush? I mean are there any of you that don't?
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #8
endsongjen
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

nuff does everything by hand. and i know some ppl like jesse and me only do the larger areas like skintone with the airbrush, everything else by hand
endsongjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #9
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
Do you have to use an airbrush? I mean are there any of you that don't?
I've learned that there's no "musts" when it comes to painting .. just "shoulds" ... I use an airbrush (especially for skin and shading) because I like the evenness it gives a piece. But, if you have enough patience (something I lack) you can water down your paints and layer them to avoid leaving brushstrokes and get pretty near the same results. Also, it's fun to learn new techniques with whatever your using, you shouldn't limit yourself or be afraid to try new things. The more I use the different techniques and utensils, the more comfortable I'm getting using each of them.

But, regardless of whether or not you use an airbrush, there's no way in hell you're going to avoid using brushes, small details like eyes and single strands of hair, simply can't be done any other way on smaller scaled kits and figures, so you're going to have to get comfortable using brushes regardless.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:58 AM   #10
ickwinzs
The Rock
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
did you get them from Dennis?