Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Hot Toys

Old 04-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
Crazy 88
I am da law!

From videos I see off youtube, their Che Guevara seems pretty good. I am tempted to hunt down one and see if it is that good.

They screwed up pretty bad with their Bruce Lee Game of Death along with past screw up. Gonna take quite a bit to convince me.
Crazy 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
gol
The Spirit

Quote:
Their master sculpts are all fantastic. But when they come off the production line, they are a far cry from the fanstatic piece of work the sculptors did.
Except for the 1/4 T-800. I hadn't bought any EB before, because on user's pics they indeed didn't look right (especially the clothes), but the T-800 did, and so does the one I got (except for a defect on the clothing again).
gol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
ComputerFly
The Phantom

Because this is 'Statue' forum, not action figure forum?

I used to visit SSC's forum equally as much as I visited SF. Now it is so overrun by Hot Toys and other action figure-related chatter, I don't bother. I was kind of upset that SF added the Hot Toys section, because that's the gateway. Forum supporters would probably say "Hey, it brings more traffic.. good for the forum", but if that's the case, why not just make it a forum for any other collectible as well? Maybe we need a Barbie section?

Yeah, I know, there is a close link between action figures and statues (same licenses, sculptors, etc), but I don't really care for AFs, and don't like them clogging up the 'new posts' page when what I came here to read about was 'statues'. My .02
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
testsubject25
Birds of Prey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerFly View Post

I used to visit SSC's forum equally as much as I visited SF. Now it is so overrun by Hot Toys and other action figure-related chatter, I don't bother. I was kind of upset that SF added the Hot Toys section, because that's the gateway. Forum supporters would probably say "Hey, it brings more traffic.. good for the forum", but if that's the case, why not just make it a forum for any other collectible as well? Maybe we need a Barbie section?

Yeah, I know, there is a close link between action figures and statues (same licenses, sculptors, etc), but I don't really care for AFs, and don't like them clogging up the 'new posts' page when what I came here to read about was 'statues'. My .02

Why don't you just make a Computerfly forum that tailors to your specific desires, that way, you aren't put out.
It's just like everything in life, take what you need and leave the rest. No need to be bitter because there's a lot of shared interest. My .01 on your .02
testsubject25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #15
ComputerFly
The Phantom

I think forums should be tailored to a certain genre.

I'm not bitter at all. Nice try though. Just because I don't agree with you, you become combative... how original.

I just move on once forum owners let their forums become free-for-alls.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I agree with CF. SSF forums is all about figures now. I come to this site more than there now a days as I collect statues, not figures.
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #17
testsubject25
Birds of Prey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerFly View Post
I think forums should be tailored to a certain genre.

I'm not bitter at all. Nice try though. Just because I don't agree with you, you become combative... how original.

I just move on once forum owners let their forums become free-for-alls.

I'm not being combative, I'm just trying to understand why it's not a problem when you yourself make posts in the video games, comics, etc. sections and others, but they're okay, and the high end Hot Toys figures are not. Whatever works buddy.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #18
testsubject25
Birds of Prey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent23 View Post
I agree with CF. SSF forums is all about figures now. I come to this site more than there now a days as I collect statues, not figures.
This is true, I'll be the first to admit that!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #19
ComputerFly
The Phantom

What you missed in the original post I made is this:

There are far more Action Figure collectors than there are statue collectors. They've been around forever, and they probably outnumber statue collectors 10 to 1. It's nice to be able to come to a place where the thing I have passion for, statues, is the point of topic. I've already seen what happens when the AF horde is released.. it's called SideshowCollectors.com

Besides, there are so many other places to discuss AFs.. you know, sites that are dedicated to AFs, just as this forum should be dedicated to statues.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
gol
The Spirit

Quote:
I wasn't saying that this statue should be made as an action figure, at all.
I bought HT's Samurai Predator because it looks amazing, and I wish it was NOT an action figure (because I don't wanna see ugly joints).

My point is, the face sculpt of an action figure (what used to be a pejorative term) these days looks better than a resin statue which costs more (even though action figures cost a lot as well these days).

Anyway, what's a "statue"? For some it has to be something in a noble material, for some it has to be something unpainted.
SideShow is selling "statues" with fabric clothing these days, are they still statues or action figures?
Many of HT's stuff are better than statues because the joints are hidden anyway. Some still have ugly joints, because of that I'd still prefer to buy statue versions of the same quality.
I never really cared about posability, but posability is just one way of customization, and statues are often customizable as well, only through different accessories or optional parts.

Btw am I wrong or your own avatar is one of those half-doll figure half-statues as well? A resin body dressed like a doll?
Also, this is the case of a statue that has also be done by Hot Toys. I won't debate the likeliness (he looks like Chevy Chase IMHO), because I don't think that HT did an amazing job either. However, judging from pics, wouldn't you prefer if your statue had this level of detail?
So on one hand you have a resin statue & on the other hand this IMHO better-looking action figure, which has mostly hidden joints. If the hands were stuck to the arms, it'd make a much better "statue" IMHO.

(even though, again, it's not their best. But if we take their Jack Sparrow, I'd really like to see anything looking as good in affordable hand-painted resin)
gol is offline   Reply With Quote