Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #11
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Hard to believe so many are siding with Disney when just a few years ago most people hated Disney.
I care more about the films based on Comic properties than I do the company, but Disney has a better hold of how to do that than anyone right now and not Mention Marvel Studios is who I'm actually rooting for, they just happen to be a part of Disney.

It's like Warner Interactive, I hate their cookie cutter approach to video games, but I love Rocksteady Studios ( Warner Interactive subsidiary) because damn it those Arkham games were amazing.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:09 PM   #12
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

This is what happens when a sh+++y movie like Venom makes as much money as it did. Sony is too big for their britches. This will be an epic fail.
Iko Iko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #13
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

This is some bullish!t. They better make another deal. I don’t want to see the part recast and I don’t want Spider-Man out of the MCU. That’s going to ruin everything. I hate Sony. Freaking assclowns.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:45 PM   #14
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Had a feeling this was going to happen with the success of Venom. After the failure of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Sony sees the dollar signs once again and is back to wanting to create their own shared universe.
I did as well.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:45 PM   #15
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Good for Sony for not buckling like everyone to the giant.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:58 PM   #16
built2shred
Phoenix

The part won't be recast as Sony has a deal with Tom Holland to make 2 more Spider-Man movies.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:15 PM   #17
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
The part won't be recast as Sony has a deal with Tom Holland to make 2 more Spider-Man movies.
If, and this is a big if, he wanted to he could probably site this as a reason to get out of the contract. I think it just depends on how comfortable he feels working with the Sony team of producers instead of Fiege and co.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:50 PM   #18
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I don't really have any love or hate to Disney. I think if this move Pan's out it will be bad for Spider-Man and the MCU which is disappointing.
Exactly. The last Spidey movie franchise failed. The current one, including SM:FFH being Sony’s biggest success ever, is because of Marvel’s inclusion of Spidey in the MCU. Why wouldn’t Marvel want more money for their success? Sony couldn’t have done that without Disney. But then, it’s Sony’s license to screw. They don’t want to lose profits but this is a lose lose situation for them anyway. Aside from Deadpool and Venom nobody supports their Marvel movies anymore with FF destroyed and X-Men having completely fallen off after not being able to capitalize off the very well received Days of Future Past and Logan.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:10 PM   #19
Peedi
The Secret Six

So many questions.

Spider-Man is heavily integrated into the MCU. He was introduced to be the next generation. His first movie was all about part of his coming of age and Iron Man being his major influence. He was a huge part of Infinity War. He’s the reason why Tony changed his mind to aid in the time heist in Endgame. His second movie was all about him being practically Iron Man’s heir apparent in the superhero game. And the identity reveal is a huge cliffhanger that will be just awkward for the MCU to never address again.

1. If Sony continues the movies they have to ignore the previously established MCU. But Spidey can’t be a solo hero like he was in the old franchises. His whole point is he’s a teen still learning the ropes and maturing. You can’t ignore that and just have him on his own when it was previously established his world is full of superheroes.

2. The connections. Iron Man was his major connection but enough heroes still know Spider-Man and Peter Parker that to say he’d be on the run by himself or at least left to face his identity crisis without absolutely no help whatsoever is absurd. There’s no way Happy or Pepper wouldn’t give some support. Nick Fury or Talos under Fury’s orders would definitely help him out. And even other characters who know him to a lesser extent but have been around him or fought alongside him who could help...primarily Black Panther (in a world where he harbored Winter Soldier), Dr. Strange, Valkyrie who leads New Asgard, or even Captain Marvel since they had that moment...nobody would leave him to just fend for himself without some slight help. Sony can’t acknowledge that though.

3. Sony could use other characters in their license to pad out Spidey’s world and make it seem more natural without the MCU.

4. The creativity. Sony allowed the first successful franchise to go down bad in the 3rd act. The last franchise was never well liked. Venom is Venom. That movie has no bearing on a Spider-Man movie. Their track record for their own Spider-Man has been bad for 3 straight movies (3, ASM, ASM2). They needed the help Marvel gave them with the character.

5. Will keep track of the franchise being in 2023 (after Endgame)?

I just don’t see how this can work as is if Sony decides to continue this Spider-Man franchise instead of starting with a clean slate, or time hopping past any follow up from SM:FFH so they just don’t have to deal with it and come back to a young adult Spider-Man in college.

Sony just needs to comply.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:36 PM   #20
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
Exactly. The last Spidey movie franchise failed. The current one, including SM:FFH being Sony’s biggest success ever, is because of Marvel’s inclusion of Spidey in the MCU. Why wouldn’t Marvel want more money for their success? Sony couldn’t have done that without Disney. But then, it’s Sony’s license to screw. They don’t want to lose profits but this is a lose lose situation for them anyway. Aside from Deadpool and Venom nobody supports their Marvel movies anymore with FF destroyed and X-Men having completely fallen off after not being able to capitalize off the very well received Days of Future Past and Logan.
You're conflating Fox and Sony.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote