Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-05-2020, 09:13 PM   #311
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I don’t hate the cape. It’s very comic-esque. And let’s face it, capes are death traps so who cares how long it is

What I wish is that he wasn’t so hunched. The straight on shot is not appealing. Maybe having him just a touch more upright, showing a little more neck, perfection.

The entire piece, especially when you add the EX long grappling hook, makes me think ALOT of Tim Sale art. An amalgam of Batman’s classic look and The Long Halloween dramatic art. Either you love or hate that art. I love it, so it doesn’t bother me.

Really like the color combo. That’s a total plus. And people wanted “comic”, you just didn’t say WHICH comic

#SideshowArtDirectorInTraining
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:13 PM   #312
SLO_MO
The Spirit

A lot of strange choices on display here. The twist in the pose at the hips looks awkward, portraits are severely underwhelming compared to the perfection of the last PF's portrait (unfortunately one of the only things perfect about that piece imo). Also, it does not look like they pulled off the shading on the blue. If it's going to be blue, make it blue. The black wash / shadows in it just make it look dirty as-is and I'm sure coming out of the factory it'll look even worse.

The cape is another weird choice but I actually think it's kind of a fun idea. Go figure.
SLO_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:15 PM   #313
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Not excited at all but not disappointed either. Ok back to X-Men.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:19 PM   #314
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

All I see straight on is a heavy set grumpy old man hunched over with cane vibe. Color me disappointed.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:29 PM   #315
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I’m amazed at how good Sideshow is at making Batman statues I don’t like.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:39 PM   #316
komodo112
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Yikes. A few changes and this really would have been a great statue

- Give Spawn his cape back
- Fix the positioning on the head. Look straight
- The ex should have been different symbols
komodo112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:40 PM   #317
Royalguard
The Avengers

Cape looks akward as others have stated other than that looks ok.
Royalguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:41 PM   #318
SONICobra
Batman

Eh not feeling it, which i guess is a good thing lol

Definitely getting a kelley jones vibe from the whole thing but that cape is straight off some 90’s covers and is a perfect example of why people shouldnt wear them from a functional standpoint
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:42 PM   #319
gomur
The Tick

Not bothered by the cape. People understandably bring up McFarlane, but I felt Breyfogle's cape game was peerless.

I so badly wanted this to be an A+ entry, but it feels like a solid B to me. It's clearly marketed to those who grew up reading the oval Batman logo. An audience that crosses 3 decades minimum. So why the hell didn't they stay faithful to his capsule utility belt design?

The paints may be the biggest disappointment. The blues just don't pop like they did in the teaser pic. They're too dull and the flesh tones are terrible. Too much gray overspray. Feels like a damp cloth is needed to wipe the dust off this statue that's been left out in the open.

And the alternate portrait is flat out uninspired. Which I guess makes this a sad "wait on it" instead of the "must buy" I was hoping for. The regular portrait is fine, good even, but SS could've been so much more inspired with the EX. They could've done a truly comic style portrait like we see in the Batman Black & White series. Something like Jim Aparo, Norm Breyfogle, or Brian Bolland. The larger white eyes and a more angular jaw.

So overall I'm disappointed by what could've been. It's a fine statue and I'll likely wait for a deal.

This pic credited to the awesome Michael Crawford reviews!

gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:42 PM   #320
AC_808
Hercules

Damn! I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be.

It's not grabbing my attention as much as Colossus or Rogue or Cable or Wolverine or X-23 or Thor BoB or ....

I think I need time to keep looking at this and digest what I'm seeing. That cape reminds me of a shroud ...like Marvel's Cloak.

I'm glad the musculature and proportions look much improved, tho. He is not over-sized ....and no nano fiber muscles. That is a huge plus!

AC_808 is online now   Reply With Quote