Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 08-26-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
AgentU7
The Spirit

Aves Apoxie Sculpt Vs. FixIt Sculpt

I need to buy some Aves so I can start building my first kit. Can someone tell me which is the better one to use. The Apoxie or the Fixit? They both look like their good to use so besides the price what's the difference. Any advice would be appreciated.
AgentU7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

I use the apoxie for piecing kits together, building up muscles, bases the thicker parts of hair etc... This stuff tends to bend and sag alot if building out.

Fix-It i use more for detail work, like thinner parts of hair, fingers, outfit lines etc.. This stuff holds its form much better, with a bit of drying time and letting it stiffen up. You can build out more without much sag.

So i use both for different situations.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

AVES Fix-It sculpt is what I would use exclusively (if I could). I find that is smooths down even finer than AVES Apoxie Sculpt, holds it shape better and is easy to tool and work with.

I use both as AVES Apoxie Sculpt is less expensive and works incredibly well, but I do prefer the Fix-It sculpt as a whole.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Moogled
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I'm going to chime in on this thread as well, since I've been wondering about the type of sculpt to use.

There's so many types of Aves putty that I'm a bit intimidated on which kind to use. Strictly speaking, I just need something to fill out the seam lines after I glue/pin the two resin pieces together.

Does this mean that both Fix-It and Apoxie would suffice for filling out seams and resin bubbles (and post sanding)?
Moogled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogled View Post
I'm going to chime in on this thread as well, since I've been wondering about the type of sculpt to use.

There's so many types of Aves putty that I'm a bit intimidated on which kind to use. Strictly speaking, I just need something to fill out the seam lines after I glue/pin the two resin pieces together.

Does this mean that both Fix-It and Apoxie would suffice for filling out seams and resin bubbles (and post sanding)?

Just for filling gaps, seems and holes, just get the regular Aves Apoxie Sculpt. If you buy the thinner Aves sells too, you can mix it together to get a tooth paste effect too. Sometimes they have different colors, which are on sale. Wont matter cause its all the same just dyed a color.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
AgentU7
The Spirit

Thanks Vince and Danno for the advice. Your help is always welcomed.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:51 AM   #7
AgentU7
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
Just for filling gaps, seems and holes, just get the regular Aves Apoxie Sculpt. If you buy the thinner Aves sells too, you can mix it together to get a tooth paste effect too.
Would that make it the same consistency as the Fixit? Wouldn't it be easier just to buy the fixit instead?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentU7 View Post
Would that make it the same consistency as the Fixit? Wouldn't it be easier just to buy the fixit instead?

No, Fix It and Apoxie are both clay like when mixed, and you are able to sculpt with them. Just that which ever one you buy and mix thinner with can give you that tooth paste type of mixture.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
Jesse321
Galactus

I always wondered what the difference was, I've never used Fix-It yet.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
AgentU7
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
No, Fix It and Apoxie are both clay like when mixed, and you are able to sculpt with them. Just that which ever one you buy and mix thinner with can give you that tooth paste type of mixture.
Ok, thanks. I think I understand. For my needs I"ll just buy the cheaper one.