Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 05-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #1
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

John Romita Hulk page - can you ID it?

Just posted this to my site - looking for the experts to weigh in.

https://thejadegiant.wordpress.com/2...ify-this-page/

What do you think? Burkey doesn’t know what this is from, do you?

From the site:

"Are you a Hulk expert? A huge fan of John Romita Sr.? Think you know Marvel comics from the silver/bronze age? If so, I am throwing down the gauntlet to see who can identify the artwork below. Was this a Hulk annual? A joint venture comic with a local department store? Something else? The first person to correctly identify the page will get a cool bit of swag from the gamma vault (and will gain my utmost admiration for their Hulk/Marvel/Romita knowledge). "

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
Mr. Machismo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Great looking page. Good luck, JG.
Mr. Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

It's definitely bronze age, mid-late 70s. At first I thought that page may have appeared in Hulk Special #4 (annual #4). There was a back up story pencilled by Kirby and inked by Romita titled "Bruce Banner is the Hulk". However, I believe that story is a reprint of a Tales to Astonish comic. Wherever this is from, my sense is that those are Romita inks not pencils so that might rule some stuff out.

There were numerous newspaper and store supplements in the late 70s, i.e., Denver Post, Columbus Dispatch, Chicago Tribune which featured Hulk covers by Romita but I think the interiors were done by Buscema. There were some British books from the 70s as well which featured artwork that didn't see print in the US...

I'm stumped. If I had to bet a $1, I'd guess this is a back-up story in an annual or Fireside TPB somewhere. It may not even be in a Hulk book... Good trivia question!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
whd
Suicide Squad

Great looking page! I cannot place it though.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:46 PM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

So what was it????
Old 05-11-2016, 05:56 AM   #6
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

what if?
Old 06-08-2016, 04:33 PM   #7
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Sorry for the delayed response. There have been a lot of responses from a variety of places (forums/FB/email/site) but nothing definitive yet. Here’s what I have heard so far – I plan to do more digging to see if I can find a definitive answer. Keep the comments/questions coming. Thanks!

Ideas about who did the art:

Romita sr inks over Alan kuppenberg pencils
Severin and Romita
Larry Leiber
Trimpe pencils, Romita inks.

Ideas for where it may have been published:

Promotional give-away publications done for newspapers (Dallas Herald, Columbus Dispatch, Denver Post, etc.), Aim toothpaste, etc.
Newspaper comic strip
UK publication

A repeated response has been that it may have been done for a Marvel annual that was never published. If so, this would be Larry Lieber pencils but not clear about the inks. As the story goes – quoted from krisdpaul on comicart-L “I believe this page is from an unpublished story penciled by Larry Lieber that was slated to appear in Hulk Annual #12. Jack Abel was supposed to be the inker, but he was hospitalized. A bunch of other artists including Jim Starlin, Joe Rubinstein, Terry Austin, (apparently JR), and others stepped in to finish the job for Jack, calling themselves the Abel Brigade. But for whatever reason it didn't get finished on time. There a a number of pages from this story floating around with inks by different inkers. I used to own the splash and about half a dozen pages from this story.”

It would make sense that it looks unfinished (see where the word balloons were change and the pencils not erased). Not a definite answer but a plausible possibility. I replied to his post on the L to see what more I can dig up.

Thanks for all the input, the quest continues.

CAF
Old 07-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Mystery solved. New article posted with images of 9 of the pages posted. Several inkers credited per feedback received. If you have any more info/scans, let me know and I will post updates. Thanks for all those who chipped in.

https://thejadegiant.wordpress.com/2...-abel-brigade/

CAF
Old 07-01-2016, 09:16 PM   #9
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Mystery solved. New article posted with images of 9 of the pages posted. Several inkers credited per feedback received. If you have any more info/scans, let me know and I will post updates. Thanks for all those who chipped in.

https://thejadegiant.wordpress.com/2...-abel-brigade/
Mystery solved indeed! Nice work!