Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 11-08-2022, 09:19 AM   #1
Cheisa
Doh!

How does a statue get manufactured?

I'm currently doing a research paper with regards to statues (I recently figured out that what I call "figurines" are actually called statues as I'm specifically researching on Resin figurines) I came to this site as it was recommended to me as there happens to be some experts here.

From what I know almost all if not all resin statues are made in China. In which all of them are numbered, so I was wondering how does the business work? Of course there would be the issue of a copyright lawyer and the licensing IP issue which could vary depending on what deal you get. Then there's China, as far as I know people have stated SGS and Bureau Veritas assuming you have no one in China to check the production. And then there's companies like Tsume or Prime 1 who have some data but not all. I was wondering are the rumors true that the markup for statues are high? Any specific pitfalls you these companies have to deal with or despite the fact that there are multiple of these types of companies they still remain afloat and are currently striving. I was just basically wondering how does the business work on a more in depth side of things.

Thank you!
Cheisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:48 AM   #2
jinkazama
Cobra Command

Welcome to the forum!
jinkazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 03:08 PM   #3
Halcyon
New Republic

Lightbulb

We are all in one giant queue-line and have to wait an average of 2.5 years till the mailman is on his way.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 02:12 AM   #4
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

If you are doing research you need to do some homework first. There is a lot one can find with a google search. Manufacturing licensed statues are not all that different than licensed toys. To only major differences are the target audience, scale, materials and higher quality. After doing some basic research, you should put together a set of clear questions to target the specifics that you are researching that one cannot find easily on the net. With these questions, I sugggest reaching out to the public relations department of statue producers.

You can check the Spector creative channel on youtube as that guy used to work the toy industry and he has done videos on how licensed products work.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 07:46 PM   #5
gagaliya
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheisa View Post
I'm currently doing a research paper with regards to statues (I recently figured out that what I call "figurines" are actually called statues as I'm specifically researching on Resin figurines) I came to this site as it was recommended to me as there happens to be some experts here.

From what I know almost all if not all resin statues are made in China. In which all of them are numbered, so I was wondering how does the business work? Of course there would be the issue of a copyright lawyer and the licensing IP issue which could vary depending on what deal you get. Then there's China, as far as I know people have stated SGS and Bureau Veritas assuming you have no one in China to check the production. And then there's companies like Tsume or Prime 1 who have some data but not all. I was wondering are the rumors true that the markup for statues are high? Any specific pitfalls you these companies have to deal with or despite the fact that there are multiple of these types of companies they still remain afloat and are currently striving. I was just basically wondering how does the business work on a more in depth side of things.

Thank you!
Hire a 3D sculpt artist (almost no-one does hand sculpt anymore as far as i know), pay them and get the digital file, the larger companies have in house artist who will cast and hand paint the artist proof, the smaller companies just skip this part.

Next goto guangzhou china, find one of the dozen factories that makes 1/4+ large polystone statues, they are all located around same area, give them the 3d file, most will allow you to pick quality (mostly paint) level at different price points and in turn timeline - higher quality level cost more money takes longer. If you are a small shop, just give them some pictures in addition to the digital file what you want and they will do a few artist proof based on it using their best guys for your approval, if you are a big company you just give them the in-house completed AP to copy along with the digital file. Pay them slave labor pennies on dollar, minimum order varies usually at least 200+ to make any economical sense in term of shipping / license / paying your US workers. Internally the more experienced slave labors will hand paint the difficult parts like face / hair / patterns, while the new hires will just paintbrush the easy parts. Working condition is usually abysmal, with little ventilation, that will violate dozens of US labor laws, and masks used are usually not up to spec for this type of paint work, all paint are locally sourced without any check for harmful chemicals. I rather just kill myself then work a lifetime here for pennies and probably die from cancer.

Other miscellaneous items include you have to show them some bull---- paper work to confirm you have the license if it's a recognized piece like spiderman, same paper work is needed for chinese custom clearance to ship to US. All of them have their own packaging companies they work with that will make the styrofoam and box, there used to be many different price/quality level too (remember the snowflake packagings lol) nowadays it's all standard decent quality white styrofoam, with high end being the black foam packaging with velcro that's mostly picked by small/custom companies as they cost more. They also do funny drop test around the factory by throwing the box with statue down stairs. All of this is then shipped via slowboat container to US, it's a fully streamlined operations from statue to packaging to shipping.

Then either the owner or the guys working in those factories will take the 3d file / casting, for pieces they deemed "popular" (i really question their taste sometimes lol), and work on their own or funded by local sellers to make bunch unauthorized copies, usually at a significantly better quality / paint to sell in the local chinese market in plain box/packaging, at 50%+ discount to the price we pay.

ps i expect my $$ via PayPal for doing your homework
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:18 PM   #6
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
ps i expect my $$ via PayPal for doing your homework
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:20 AM   #7
Cheisa
Doh!

Quote:
All of them have their own packaging companies they work with that will make the styrofoam and box, there used to be many different price/quality level too (remember the snowflake packagings lol) nowadays it's all standard decent quality white styrofoam, with high end being the black foam packaging with velcro that's mostly picked by small/custom companies as they cost more. They also do funny drop test around the factory by throwing the box with statue down stairs. All of this is then shipped via slowboat container to US, it's a fully streamlined operations from statue to packaging to shipping.
I actually didn't know this, so pretty much once you find a Guangzhou company in resin they also have a box maker so is that part of the fee in creating the statues or is that separate? Also I heard it's a must to have someone in China to monitor these makers or if you can't you use SGS and Bureau Veritas as from other peoples experience they get duped or receive a bag of bricks so I was wondering if that's true or not?
Old 11-10-2022, 07:27 AM   #8
Cheisa
Doh!

So wouldn't that mean that as long as you have the cash you could start your own 3d manufacturing resin statue company? Since it seems like you'd just need to outsource your 3d modeler, go to Guangzhou China (Or do super big companies do them in house or do all go to China) then ship it. Basically the entry to barrier is just huge sums of cash, as I'm assuming the copyright lawyer dealing all the legalities plus the upfront cash for the license would be a lot. So I was wondering if assuming you had cash to burn and you got nothing to do with it, would it be good to create a 3d resin statue company? (As by the looks of things the only thing stopping you from entering the market is cash)
Old 11-10-2022, 08:44 AM   #9
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Hire a 3D sculpt artist (almost no-one does hand sculpt anymore as far as i know), pay them and get the digital file.
Is it not a requirement of the 3D artist to take into account that the 3D model will be turned into a physical object, thus will be required to break down into small components which requires some pieces to feature pegs, other pieces to feature peg-slots. Not to mention the pieces then have to be able to slot together once cast and painted.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 01:09 PM   #10
qz33
Doctor Doom

Still suspicious of a bot...
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote