Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 02-23-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
Azog
Sailor Moon

DF 1:1 Scale Alex Ross Spidey Bust

Does anyone have the DF 1:1 Scale Alex Ross Spidey Bust? If so thoughts on it?
Azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

yup I've got it. I like it a lot. anything in particular you are wondering about?
Old 02-23-2006, 03:06 PM   #3
Azog
Sailor Moon

Just interested in collectors like you, and your thoughts. I may be getting one, and want to make a solid choice...I guess along the lines, would you recommend it as a piece to own...
Azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

It's superb; perfect, the definitive Spidey. Even better if you paint the eyes white...

JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Azog, I had one of these a while back and sold it because I am not really big on 1:1 busts. I think it is one of the better 1:1 busts available. It's a really, really nice piece and you should be able to pick it up for a decent price. I know the Thing 1:1 had an issue with defective paint. Don't know if that applies to any of the others. You might also want to consider the fact that SS is doing the 1:1 bust thing now and I can't see them not doing Spidey.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

Azog I would reconmend getting it if you are a spidey fan or a 1/1 fan. I is very clean looking and as stated if you paint the eyers white even cooler.

do not forget that someone maybe doing a cloth mask version as well. not sure what that piece was in the toyfair pictures.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
kirthew
Zot

I sold my piece (got it from an ex) but I liked it when I had it... If you dont have alot of storage space you might want to consider ditching the box as I remember it is freaking huge... But it is a nice piece...
kirthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:11 PM   #8
wushuboy
Frackin!

what sort of paint do you use to paint the eyes? Any special techniques for making it look good or do i just take some standard white paint and brush it on with any ol brush? I'm not really much of a painter so any input would help as those painted white eyes just make it so comic accurate. Oh did you guys just paint over the reflective surface or did you pull that out?
wushuboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

I here you on storage room, but I have Cap, Thing, Spidey, and Hulk on top of my Entertainment Center. They look fantastic and are real conversation pieces.

Spidey is my favorite of the four. He'll frequently bee seen sporting a team cap depending on what sport season it is. Great piece, and unlike most of the line, I don't think this one is hollow.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:50 PM   #10
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuboy
what sort of paint do you use to paint the eyes? Any special techniques for making it look good or do i just take some standard white paint and brush it on with any ol brush? I'm not really much of a painter so any input would help as those painted white eyes just make it so comic accurate. Oh did you guys just paint over the reflective surface or did you pull that out?
I painted the lenses, thinking that if I took them off it might be all sticky and bumpy underneath. My lenses arrived really scuffed, so while I didn't mind the mirror finish, I felt I had little to lose by attempting a repaint. I used Citadel miniature paints - the ones some folks use for painting miniature models of orcs and wizards and stuff. I'd been using them for a while painting my Peanuts Meets Marvel pictures on plastic acetate (you probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but suffice to say I knew the paint would adhere to plastic...). I painted one lens at a time, laying the head down, and trying to make each lens as horizontal as I could when painting. I used a Citadel fine detail brush, but applied the paint quite liberally, as I wanted to get a flat coat in one. I think I missed the line a couple of times, but that was easy to put right with similar paint in black on the eye surround. It's something to only attempt if you're confident in a pretty steady hand, but I think mine looks good. Some of the paintmasters here might recommend a light sanding of the lenses first, or even masking off the section and using an airbrush. But that's if you want to get technical! Best of luck with it if you decide to try!
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote