Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 02-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #11
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
For years, people have tried to compete with eBay. It just hasn't worked out. Thing is, at this point, it's the sellers that have to take their business elsewhere... and they won't, not so long as there are loony tunes out there willing to pay 60k for a Spidey cover. Why should they risk posting that auction on some unknown auction site only to see it sell for a 10th as much?

Given everything we know about eBay, that is, the scammers, the huge fees, and the pretty much useless feedback system, I can only imagine how much worse it would actually have to get for people to leave... I mean, it would have to come out that Bin Laden owns it or something.
That's pretty funny
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:53 PM   #12
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

I need them for one last fire sale .....
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:59 PM   #13
superman4ever
Hydra

I'm hearing that Buyers and Sellers are going to be boycotting a whole week from eBay because of these new fees.

I think we should start a petition if one hasn't been started.
superman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:13 AM   #14
Stiler
U talkin' to me?

My problem is that Ebay basically ahs a monopoly on the entire internet-auction market.

They own Ebay/half.com and then bought out paypal and own that now, which is the most commonly used way that people pay for things bought via ebay.

So ebay is not only getting a cut for listing, but final value fee's and then on top of that the paypal fee's which are .30cents + a % value.

It's ridiculous how much money they just take off the top.
Stiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:36 AM   #15
Sledge Hammer!
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Any they can continue to do so, because every time another non corporate auction site looks like it's starting to get even a minor foothold, Ebay buys it out and shuts it down. The power of real money in action right there.
Sledge Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:12 AM   #16
biglebowski9999
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Mass Ebay boycott scheduled for next week I believe. Doubt it will do anything, but it is getting press (was mentioned on CNN). I have been using Craig's List more and more. C'mon Google, create an auction service!
biglebowski9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:04 AM   #17
superman4ever
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglebowski9999 View Post
Mass Ebay boycott scheduled for next week I believe. Doubt it will do anything, but it is getting press (was mentioned on CNN). I have been using Craig's List more and more. C'mon Google, create an auction service!
I'm in! Hopefully it sends a message...
Old 02-17-2008, 06:08 AM   #18
superman4ever
Hydra

Here are the video from CNN:

Eliminating Seller's ability to rate buyers

Article about the increased fees!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:12 AM   #19
superman4ever
Hydra

This chart breaks down the increase using examples...it's a good read!

Anyway, I thought the final fee was high enough as it is and was hoping that they were going to decrease them.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:34 AM   #20
superman4ever
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN Business

Outraged eBay sellers plot strike week
Boycotts by irate sellers are nothing new for eBay - but organizers hope this time, they'll have critical mass.

(FORTUNE Small Business) -- Ever since eBay (EBAY, Fortune 500) announced changes to its feedback rules and fee structure last week, sellers have been irate, exploding onto message boards and blogs with discussions about how the new policies will affect their businesses. But when the idea of a strike was floated, some sellers and buyers decided to get more organized about expressing their displeasure.

A discussion thread on eBay's own forums with the title "Sign the pledge_no sales Feb 18-25!" has received 4,000 posts in nine days, many expressing members' intentions to join the boycott. The strike is scheduled to overlap eBay's planned Feb. 20 launch date for its new policies, which include fee hikes, a 21-day hold on some funds sent through its PayPal payment service, and disallowing sellers from leaving negative feedback for their buyers.

Facebook and MySpace pages dedicated to the strike are circulating, along with an online petition, and a mailing list called the Online Seller Cyber Union has gathered more than 700 emails in a week. A YouTube video on Google (GOOG, Fortune 500) entitled "Feb 18-25th 2008: Worldwide Ebay Strike" has racked up more than 16,000 views since Saturday.

"It's like a rallying cry for other sellers," said Valerie Lennert, creator of the YouTube video. "It was another way of letting people know that they were not alone. My inbox is overflowing with people that are ticked off."

There's a lot more info at the link!