Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #21
Army Builder
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblakey1 View Post
Way inferior.. 'cept for maybe a handful of DC products coming out nowadays.. and of course, Moore never disappoints.
which DC products are you referring to?
Army Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #22
bzie
U talkin' to me?

Those are just prototype pics, which always looks good. Put them into mass production in china, ship them around the world and you'll think different.
bzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #23
JSA
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Cost of private commissions:

All depends upon the sculptor, the size of the sculpt, and the detail of the sculpt.

It can range from several hundred for a small sculpt from a newer or less established sculptor, to thousands to tens of thousands for a large sculpt from a well known sculptor.

You'd need to know exactly what you want sculpt-wise, and then shop around to the sculptors who's style and work portfolio fit what you want to achieve.

JSA
JSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:52 PM   #24
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzie View Post
Those are just prototype pics, which always looks good. Put them into mass production in china, ship them around the world and you'll think different.
although what you might say is true,,these people have something good going on right from the conceptual phase which is what im most impressed with,they seem to be fans and they alos sculpt beautifully.from what the top sculptors and many forum members have said it's usually the company execs that Fcuk it up ,the suits just are'nt fans if you ask me.DC especially,the trash they get out sometimes is horrific.these companies should be visiting the sculptors forum more often to get a taste of what our taste is like.from the looks of it is what they think is that as long as we keep making key characters we can sacrifice quality,originality and integrity and it's the completists and the rich fans that are to blame for buying mediocre products,you buy medicore products youll just get more of them,thats how i see them.of course it's their money and they can do what they please but they are preety much watering down the aspect of true art in the collectibles world.but again they are also keeping it alive since they buy everything lol!a catch 22 that one.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #25
Darth Pain
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Like Vince said, I don't think it's the sculptors. They are all good and I believe the pieces from the big companies would be better if the sculptors were given more freedom with design. Plus, the factories do a less than stellar job of recreating the originals.
Darth Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #26
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
These are some fantastic stuff, vrac. Any more pics? Awesome. Just wish I had the cha-ching to own some of these
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #27
Kirk Durfey
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Pain View Post
Like Vince said, I don't think it's the sculptors. They are all good and I believe the pieces from the big companies would be better if the sculptors were given more freedom with design. Plus, the factories do a less than stellar job of recreating the originals.
Agreed!

As far as Vracs comments on our taste in statues, I don't agree with that completely - Although there are a bunch of GREAT looking kits produced, I've also seen some pretty God awful sculpts that people on here are touting as the greatest piece ever. As many arguments that I see here, I don't think we can all agree on who has the best taste
Kirk Durfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #28
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

Its simple.

Money and popularity brings arrogance to some companies. The churning out of crappy products becomes inevitable

These talented individuals however, are not profiteering from their work, making it easier on the mind.
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #29
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

There are some great kits being produced, but I don't think there has been any big slide in quality from the established companies.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #30
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain81 View Post
Its simple.

Money and popularity brings arrogance to some companies. The churning out of crappy products becomes inevitable

These talented individuals however, are not profiteering from their work, making it easier on the mind.
agreed!
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote