VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Ming needs to stop being a pu*** and stand up for himself
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #52
joerock
U talkin' to me?

Funny thing is, every shop I've ever been in, well it was just like that, guys arguing who could beat who, etc....all I know is I wanna start hanging out in that shop with some cash in my pocket, a nonrestored Tec 35 worth $300????? Similar copy just sold for $21,210 from the Billy Wright collection. Didn't care for the show at all, but in reality, that's every comic shop I ever walked in, a good friend of mine runs a local comic shop, the Magic tournaments are pretty funny, I told him he needs to start selling deodorant......
joerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #53
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #54
tigertank1225
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerock View Post
Funny thing is, every shop I've ever been in, well it was just like that, guys arguing who could beat who, etc....all I know is I wanna start hanging out in that shop with some cash in my pocket, a nonrestored Tec 35 worth $300????? Similar copy just sold for $21,210 from the Billy Wright collection. Didn't care for the show at all, but in reality, that's every comic shop I ever walked in, a good friend of mine runs a local comic shop, the Magic tournaments are pretty funny, I told him he needs to start selling deodorant......

the Tec 35 was graded at a 1.5...that may of been why he only offered 300. I had to laugh at your last comment about deodorant...I walked into my LCS and they where having a Heroclik tourny....and I thought I had walked into a locker room...the smell was bad.
tigertank1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #55
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I told someone who knows I'm "into" comics that I dislike the show, and she said it's because it's not "you guys" (meaning us, here on SF) hosting the show.
Ugh.. she's watched one or two of them, just because it's on right after WD. I almost wish she'd immediately change the channel and not watch that sh!t. Out of my buds, I'm the only one that collects comics, so that ---- misrepresents my time wasted on here.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #56
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

My god, this show is TERRIBLE! I find myself fast forwarding through everything except when someone comes in to sell something. Even then, it's difficult to watch. I feel like going down to the store and punching some of those idiots in the face. Hmmmm, think that would get on the show???
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #57
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
My god, this show is TERRIBLE! I find myself fast forwarding through everything except when someone comes in to sell something. Even then, it's difficult to watch. I feel like going down to the store and punching some of those idiots in the face. Hmmmm, think that would get on the show???
In the immortal words of Walt "I'll give ya twenty bucks"
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:49 AM   #58
Underdog07
Hercules

There's a cold stone creamery across the street so you can get a tasty treat after you pop them
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #59
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
I was reminded by someone on FB that these sales are scripted and staged - even still, though I realize it's somewhat fiction, selling that ManThing page was BRUTALLY low at that price.

And the storetried to buy that Tomb of Dracula #10 (first appearance of Blade) and a Kirby Thor posted from 1970 for like $175. Insane!!

Glad the guy kept the book at least.
That's not totally accurate - the sales are not TOTALLY scripted and staged. As told by Smith, they put an ad in the paper stating that if you have something to sell to bring it to the store on these specific days when they are filming.

The people who came in are not actors - the items they bring in are actually their own - and the deal Walt makes with them is real. The conversation they have is not exactly scripted - but they instucted Walt to ask certain questions and get a dialogue going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I can't believe he went from $500 to $175 in a blink. Maybe they edit out the haggling but, I cannot believe how quickly these people drop their price. Most might come in a little above reasonable, but Walt always lowballs them, I'm surprised more don't walk away.
I don't think Walt "low balls" them - his job is to get the item for as little as possible to make the biggest profit. You can always expect to make 1/3 (or less) of whatever the value is of your item when you sell it to a store. You want full value? You have to try and put it on ebay.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:14 AM   #60
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
I don't think Walt "low balls" them - his job is to get the item for as little as possible to make the biggest profit. You can always expect to make 1/3 (or less) of whatever the value is of your item when you sell it to a store. You want full value? You have to try and put it on ebay.
What a store will pay is often dependent on what the item is, how much of it there is, and what the value is. Basically, how much time is it going to take to prepare the items for sale and actually get them sold.

If someone comes in with a nice key book which you know you can sell for $1000 easy, you can offer $500, $600 or even more if you want knowing it's not going to take any time to turn it around.

If someone comes in with a collection of 60s reading copies, all $5-$10 books, "worth" $1000, but it's going to take a worker a day to grade them and it's going to take who knows how long to sell them, then you're not paying more than 30% of value, maybe less.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote