Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-02-2024, 07:53 PM   #381
shooterch
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Because of the JND hate trolls. Thats why.
shooterch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:07 PM   #382
Iko Iko
Fantomah

I like the new portrait better but it does seem to still be off slightly.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:25 PM   #383
sabin23
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogonoraa View Post
I still don?t understand how the Clark Kent portrait looks perfect, and Superman looks off.
Why don?t they just use same portrait and change the hair?
Clark has the glasses to obscure the portrait somewhat and the smiling expression gives the sculpt much life.

Whereas Superman has a very neutral look which gives it a lifeless blank stare.

I wish JND gave Superman a slight smirk or one of "hope," but perhaps JND wanted to show the duality of his two personas.

Overall, I like this 2.0 better but still not completely happy with it.
sabin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:33 PM   #384
shooterch

Christopher Reeve statue.

Looks like Christopher Reeve to me.

I don't believe anyone that says it doesn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240503_032308_Chrome.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	170276  
Old 05-02-2024, 11:06 PM   #385
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
But near perfection isn?t impossible to achieve (just extremely difficult). At least at prototype level. It certainly can be done. Look at Queen?s Bale Bust, InArt?s Aragorn, and JND?s Reeve Clark Kent and Sean Connery. All pretty much celebrated across the board, with almost no criticisms levelled at them and in this hobby that?s nigh impossible.

Hell, Blitzway does good work too. Though not a popular piece, I thought their Rock Black Adam was very good, especially for a production piece. And now they have shown off their prototype Neo from Matrix, which imo where likeness is concerned is near perfect.

Though I own nearly a dozen silicone pieces, I?ll admit many, if not all are what I deem to be close enough, but not quite perfection (especially as they?re production pieces).
In my comment, I did say there were "notable exceptions" - but, I stand by the point that nobody is getting it right all of the time. And even in the cases, where you personally, suggest the outcome is good - even in those cases - there are people who suggest otherwise......

The obvious truth is - no matter how close a company comes to getting the likeness correct - because everyone sees something different, it will NEVER please everyone. In the game of actor likeness there will always be the same ongoing debate...

If JND could walk a different path, magic would happen. In the figure industry as a whole - it's only really the statue industry that seems to be solely reliant on I.P. licencing.....in almost every other format of figure production, there is a much higher degree of "original" creation.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:25 PM   #386
shooterch

This looks like Christopher Reeve to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240503_041533_Chrome.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	801.4 KB
ID:	170277  
Old 05-02-2024, 11:33 PM   #387
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
I?m not sure if I?m remembering right, but I think I saw a custom bust of a Reeve Superman which, at least at the time, looked very impressive. And what makes it worse is; I think it was made by an Australian group, but I was not connected to any of those groups then or now.
Resin or silicone? Bobby C did a very good CR bust. There was a good resin version done by some group a few years ago as well. They did a Cavill one too, but I can?t remember the name of the sculptor .

I think the JND likeness is a slight upgrade, but obviously the crowd is very divided. CR seems to be a really hard likeness to get completely right. I don?t think the Arnie Kim version is dead on either.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:33 PM   #388
Masa_yodamorph
The Avengers

Quote:
If that?s true, it doesn?t say much for any of their previous sculpts. The only one more critiqued was the Arwen.
I disagree. Most of their head sculpts have been critiqued and criticized to $h1t. Maybe not as much on this forum. Why? Plain and simple because the likeness is not good enough for the price.

With the JND fans, it really does seem that likeness is not the most important. Which is fine and is a great thing for JND and their sales. It also seems like most of their crazy fanboys are noobs to this hobby or haven?t been collecting for a long time. Which you can tell in their behavior.

[QUOTE=Blade3327;6180421]I look for the positives.

It’s nearly impossible! Their insecure behavior makes me cringe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
This is the first I'm seeing of someone declaring the first HS so great that it didn't need to be tweaked.
I was as lenient as anyone in giving them some benefit of the doubt with that one (hair, lighting, angles, photography, and the general lack of futzing- all working to undermine what strengths it did have). But I never said it was so great it didn't need adjustments.
I thought that was the generally accepted thought about the figure?
Tweaks are always welcome, if it’s an actual upgrade. Even in the great side by side photos you provided, the likeness in the new HS is off. The original HS which isn’t perfect like their Connery is still better in likeness.
Masa_yodamorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:37 PM   #389
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterch View Post
Yea, I think this is one I would chalk up to close enough if I was in the market for one. It?s going to be really hard to be perfect.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:39 PM   #390
Freakyguy666
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterch View Post
I encourage everyone to click on that image and examine it in full size….There is no doubt that is clearly CR….I will be displaying mine on a high shelf so that will be very similar to the viewing angle…
Freakyguy666 is offline   Reply With Quote