Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-28-2007, 04:04 PM   #21
cblakey1
Cyclops

Another song that would bring me close near to shooting myself in the head when I hear it is the "Hippopotamus" song by that kid (boy, girl, whatever!)
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:07 PM   #22
Teague
Iron Man

Favorite album would have to be Charlie Brown Christmas. It just makes me happy. So do all the songs from all the Christmas specials from the 70s (Rudolph, Year Without a Santa Claus, Grinch, etc.)

Close runner up is my Louis Armstrong Christmas. It's just so damn good.

Honorable mentions: Squirrel Nut Zippers' Christmas Caravan album (man, it's just amazing to hear new holiday songs that are actually good songs...), the original Pottery Barn Christmas collections (great selections on those three CDs, James Taylor's Christmas CD, John Prine's Christmas CD and, I have to admit, the Time-Life Treasury of Christmas (oldies but goodies...and they remind me of the music playing in the background of all those parties my grandparents had when I was very young...)

Least favorite is Wham's "Last Christmas". Ugh. And they play the hell out of that on the radio this time of year, too, which obviously doesn't help matters.

If I had to recommend a lttle-known Christmas CDs that's just GREAT, I'd definitely go with Christmas Caravan by Squirrel Nut Zippers
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:08 PM   #23
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batwing View Post
Kenny G doing Christmas carols gets really annoying. What he does can never be considered jazz.
And Kenny G is Jewish, right? Hey, a guy's got to make a living!
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:16 PM   #24
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
And Kenny G is Jewish, right? Hey, a guy's got to make a living!
Eh, most of my Jewish friends celebrate Christmas in some way. I think it's inescapable in our culture, and no one wants their kid to feel left out. And honestly, so much about the holiday is secular now, that it's not hard to do. Which is actually sort of cool for kids whose families aren't Christians--it doesn't leave them out of the fun.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #25
cblakey1
Cyclops

Damn, Teague.. you must be my brother from another mother because I agree with you 100% on your choices. The Time-Life Treasury especially! It's hard to find a collection of Christmas classics that even comes close these days! You may be old enough to remember.. as a kid I used to love the Firestone Christmas records.

What I hate are the lite rock stations that start 24/7 Christmas music in November running them through 'til Christmas. They just seem to have the same lame-o playlist and never mix it up with the classics.

The only Christmas music I buy nowadays is the annual one that is put out by Starbucks. It usually has good tunes (new and updated versions) on them.

Also got a great free one from Best Buy a few years back that has a great Coldplay Christmas song (2000 Miles).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Favorite album would have to be Charlie Brown Christmas. It just makes me happy. So do all the songs from all the Christmas specials from the 70s (Rudolph, Year Without a Santa Claus, Grinch, etc.)

Close runner up is my Louis Armstrong Christmas. It's just so damn good.

Honorable mentions: Squirrel Nut Zippers' Christmas Caravan album (man, it's just amazing to hear new holiday songs that are actually good songs...), the original Pottery Barn Christmas collections (great selections on those three CDs, James Taylor's Christmas CD, John Prine's Christmas CD and, I have to admit, the Time-Life Treasury of Christmas (oldies but goodies...and they remind me of the music playing in the background of all those parties my grandparents had when I was very young...)

Least favorite is Wham's "Last Christmas". Ugh. And they play the hell out of that on the radio this time of year, too, which obviously doesn't help matters.

If I had to recommend a lttle-known Christmas CDs that's just GREAT, I'd definitely go with Christmas Caravan by Squirrel Nut Zippers
Old 11-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #26
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblakey1 View Post
Also got a great free one from Best Buy a few years back that has a great Coldplay Christmas song (2000 Miles).
that was originally by the pretenders, and is a classic
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #27
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
that was originally by the pretenders, and is a classic
True. Both versions rock! I just tend to like Coldplay a bit more.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:34 PM   #28
DC_Universe_Grl
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Ok I LOVE Bing Crosby's White Christmas Album!

Other favorites include songs from the Rankin/Bass Christmas Specials. and Nat King Cole " The Christmas Song"
DC_Universe_Grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:36 PM   #29
Johnneeukca
New Republic

Fave Christmas song is Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby featuring David Bowie.
Johnneeukca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:37 PM   #30
Andy Bergholtz
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
Santa dat you by Louie Armstong Best song

I think you mean "'Zat You, Santa Claus?"

I love that song!

My least favorite Christmas song would have to be "Last Christmas" by Wham. I throw up a little in my mouth every time that comes on the radio. Or anything by Mannheim Steamroller... I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard.

Favorite songs:

Happy Christmas (War is Over) by Lennon (Sarah Mclachlan does a nice version of this too!)
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (James Taylor's is my fav)
You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch (Thurl Ravenscroft is the best!)

Favorite albums:

James Taylor
Michael Buble'
Sinatra/Crosby

Last edited by Andy Bergholtz; 11-28-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Andy Bergholtz is offline   Reply With Quote