Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #31
whd
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Machismo View Post
Unusually bad composition for him.
To be fair, it is just one piece of the larger painting.

whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:53 PM   #32
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

that does nothing for me either

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #33
khazano
A day without sunshine is like... night.

If Alex is still being repped by Sal, (And Im pretty sure he is) one thing to keep in mind is this. What Sal prices those covers at publicly vs what he sells them for privately are two different things.
khazano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #34
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazano View Post
If Alex is still being repped by Sal, (And Im pretty sure he is) one thing to keep in mind is this. What Sal prices those covers at publicly vs what he sells them for privately are two different things.
Interesting - good to know. Any idea what the % off from the public listings usually are?

CAF
Old 09-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #35
khazano
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Interesting - good to know. Any idea what the % off from the public listings usually are?
Between 20%-50% depending on the piece in question as well as how long its been sitting there. I personally have never negotiated with him though. This is just what Ive heard from others.
khazano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:44 PM   #36
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazano View Post
Between 20%-50% depending on the piece in question as well as how long its been sitting there. I personally have never negotiated with him though. This is just what Ive heard from others.
Good information - thanks for sharing!

CAF
Old 11-05-2019, 10:22 PM   #37
Mephisto44
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
I see what you are saying with paintings vs traditional pencil/ink art and you'd think there would be more of a gap but, for me, there just isn't. Paintings are great and amazing to look at but they don't resonate with me like pencil/ink pieces. Comics aren't rendered in painted pages which is probably why I don't gravitate toward them. I love good line art and quality inking and I have to think that most that are in this hobby would fall into that category. When I see a great painting, I think more of fine art but not as much in the comic art category. For this reason, the price tag often becomes prohibitive for me as the price of a painted piece goes a long way for more traditional art. My only painted piece is from Chris Stevens and I picked that up more because I am a huge fan of his art and wanted to see what he did with it. I absolutely love it but I feel like I have scratched that itch. Maybe a Jusko down the road if I am wanting something painted but I don't know. I also agree with Kyle in that a lot of Ross art feels somewhat disconnected from a story arc or great issue as he is a cover artist. They are great stand alone pieces and look great on a wall with no additional context ... but it just doesn't resonate for me personally.
And here I would have guessed the Bob Larkin Hulk painting would have been your most wanted piece!
Mephisto44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:34 PM   #38
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto44 View Post
And here I would have guessed the Bob Larkin Hulk painting would have been your most wanted piece!
And you'd be right because, in this case, the art was for a poster that hung on my wall and was/is one of my favorite images of my favorite character. It's in the upper echelon of pieces I would most want to own. It is the outlier exception for me for sure.

CAF
Old 11-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #39
Mephisto44
Frackin!

Definitely a grail quest and a tough one to knock loose. I know 32K was declined for it at one point.
Mephisto44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #40
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Even the giclees Alex Ross releases can be found for much cheaper than retail on the aftermarket if you're patient. I have a ton of his paper and canvas giclees and have only paid retail for a handful of them. I'm not surprised to see his original art following suit since I think the asking prices are ridiculously high for most of them. I haven't checked prices on his more recent stuff because I'm not a fan of the psychedelic colors he's using.
generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote