Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #401
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
That's definitely not what I wanted to hear.

This is a case where a one-off would be a real missed opportunity, but by not taking a chance and waiting for sales numbers, they're increasing the odds that this will remain a one-off. Many people won't want to order until the other two are confirmed, but Sideshow won't make the other two unless people order Abbey.

They're putting collectors such as myself in a tough spot here. I want the three, or I won't bother with just Abbey at these prices. But I feel compelled to order now to do my part to get the other girls made.

Not thrilled.
Yeah, I totally agree. On one hand, you don't want to wait - you want to PO - in hopes that helps boost sales enough to warrant them doing the other two. But, on the other hand, $510.00 is pricey for a piece that may never get companions.

I am glad, at the very least, that the Fairytale collection is getting at least three. Just too bad they didn't go that route with these and announce all three as guaranteed.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #402
Ralek
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
They're putting collectors such as myself in a tough spot here. I want the three, or I won't bother with just Abbey at these prices. But I feel compelled to order now to do my part to get the other girls made.
Yeah, I agree that is quite the conundrum. I have to say though beyond all of that, I'd really need to see a matching print before I commit to this piece. I love displaying the JSC Spider-Man pieces with their matching prints (well except for Spider-Man/ Peter himself as there is afaik not matching print).

From where I stand, that makes for a great deal of the appeal of the JSC piece: to see how the art is translated into the sculpt. The small metal 'print' is not going to cut it in that regard. I'd definitely need a 'proper' 11x17 print to display with the statue, esp. at this price point which is like twice the Mary Jane of yesterday (scale aside).

Makes me kinda wonder, if the metal one could be scanned and used to create a larger print. The image itself seems fine. Actually it looks closer than ever before

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlySamurai View Post
And then theres the fairy tale trio JSC alternative thats smaller and less expensive presumably as well. Very frustrating.
The Fairy Tale ones definitely take priority over Abbey for me. I already have the prints for the three so far announced/ teased, and going by the JSC Spider-Man pieces and by what we already saw of the new Mermaid one, I dare say that is going to make for one neat display down the road - even assuming that the line will end after Tinkerbell and Alice.
Ralek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #403
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
I am glad, at the very least, that the Fairytale collection is getting at least three. Just too bad they didn't go that route with these and announce all three as guaranteed.
Did Sideshow actually confirm there will be three, or are we basing that off the three prints in the background of the Mermaid statue?
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #404
Ralek
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
Did Sideshow actually confirm there will be three, or are we basing that off the three prints in the background of the Mermaid statue?
"This line of statues reimagines classic fairytale characters, such as Alice in Wonderland, Tinkerbell, and The Little Mermaid in Campbellā€™s signature style! See the collection preview below for your first glimpse at upcoming Fairytale Fantasies characters."

The image thereafter shows Tinkerbell and Alice in the background. Plus the display for the Little Mermaid also used the JSC prints of Tinkerbell and Alice. I'm not sure if that counts as a confirmation ... ^^
Ralek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:00 PM   #405
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Yes. The original blog specifically called out the line of statues and named Alice and Tinkerbell as well.

In addition, it's confirmed again in the interview with JSC. Starting at the 1:55 mark, he's asked if he's excited to see the others. And then Susan goes on to talk about how everyone at Sideshow has a list of the characters they want to see after these three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkZeCo4sR9A
Old 10-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #406
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Yes. The original blog specifically called out the line of statues and named Alice and Tinkerbell as well.

In addition, it's confirmed again in the interview with JSC. Starting at the 1:55 mark, he's asked if he's excited to see the others. And then Susan goes on to talk about how everyone at Sideshow has a list of the characters they want to see after these three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkZeCo4sR9A
Thank you.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #407
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

I still don't understand why Campbell abandoned the Fairytale Fantasies line a couple years back. Just such a brilliant line and it was more than popular enough to keep going. Instead he went 100% Marvel and his own projects fell to the wayside. So disappointing as I have zero interest in any of his Marvel work and loved his Fairytale Fantsies line. And I'm still curious what happened to the roughly 60-70 prints that remained unsold for the 2014 line.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #408
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Let me clarify something. Sideshow has priced me out because I don’t think their quality lines up with the price anymore. I have a lot of statues on order through Sideshow, they just aren’t made by Sideshow. Most are higher than Sideshow’s price point.
There are many reasons people get priced out. Some people just can't plain afford it anymore and others can afford it, but just don't think the quality is worth the price anymore. I wasn't referring to just one type of person nor was I implying you were referring to just one type of person. I was simply summing up all of the people that wind up getting priced out for one reason or another and you were 100% correct with your statement. As long as Sideshow is able to replace the people ceasing to buy or cutting back on buying, Sideshow couldn't care less if people get priced out. In the end its a numbers game and as long as Sideshow's sales numbers stay strong, they honestly couldnt care less who it is that is buying their statues, wether it be people on Statue Forum or some misc joe who doesnt even know this website exists. Again, Sideshow has no personal affinity with its buyers.

I have purchased over 30 Sideshow statues in the last 3+ years. If I were to stop buying tomorrow, Sideshow wouldn't care less as long as someone stepped up and filled my shoes in regards to the orders I was placing. And I don't take that personally or get offended at that as that's simply the corporate world we live in these days. All of the other statue companies on the market operate in the same exact manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
I think it was unlikely we were ever going to get a second or 3rd Danger Girl piece.

I still like this though. Probably going to PO, just not Day1.
I disagree. This is not the Sideshow of years past. They have proven that to me many times over the last couple years and i just don't believe that Sideshow would produce a single Danger Girl character and then call it quits. As I have stated before, this is one area that Sideshow really needs to improve on and I believe they will improve. I think we will see Sideshow go deeper into lines than years past and I fully expect to see at least the 3 main Danger girl characters before Sideshow pulls the plug on this line. If I am wrong, I will be extremely disappointed in Sideshow, but I don't think I will be proven wrong. IMO, Sideshow has improved in just about every way possible these last few years so I really have no reason to think that they wont improve in this manner as well. They have to know that people buying this wan't more than just 1 Danger Girl piece.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #409
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I disagree. This is not the Sideshow of years past. They have proven that to me many times over the last couple years and i just don't believe that Sideshow would produce a single Danger Girl character and then call it quits. As I have stated before, this is one area that Sideshow really needs to improve on and I believe they will improve. I think we will see Sideshow go deeper into lines than years past and I fully expect to see at least the 3 main Danger girl characters before Sideshow pulls the plug on this line. If I am wrong, I will be extremely disappointed in Sideshow, but I don't think I will be proven wrong. IMO, Sideshow has improved in just about every way possible these last few years so I really have no reason to think that they wont improve in this manner as well. They have to know that people buying this wan't more than just 1 Danger Girl piece.
They confirmed on the live show today that, while they want to make the other girls, it will depend on how well Abbey sells.

So, my advice in this situation is if you really want her (and the others to be produced), to PO her.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #410
adee
Green Arrow

She's a great looking statue and it captures JSC's style perfectly.

I'm just having a hard time justifying half a grand for such a character. I like Danger Girl but I think I'd have to love it.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote