Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 10-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
SONICobra
Batman

obtaining original art...?

so total noob questions but i see so many people posting absolutely gorgeous pieces of art and im getting totally jealous and have no idea how to go about getting some myself. so just a couple questions if you guys dont mind:

1. where does one obtain original comic art? (covers, splash pages etc.)

i know some artists have websites - ive been on them and seen the prices (capullo, fabok), is that where people are picking these up or are pieces like this found through other vendors? im not looking at only them specifically, just using them as an example

2. what should one expect to pay for something like a gabriele dell'otto cover or mike deodato splash? (again, examples) in other words, whats realistic amount and whats outlandish and "overpriced"?

i know, i know... total NOOB questions but i honestly have no clue, then someone posts something incredible i would totally want and think "where does he get this wonderful art?"

SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

This might be one of my favorite topics as I love the “grind” of finding great comic art. It is also somewhat complex as this hobby has a ton of nuance and subtlety that just takes time to learn for yourself.

Where to find art? Lots of ways, here are a few:
Dealer sites – go to CAF and you will see lots of banner ads. Take an evening and peruse them when you have some time. Comicarttracker.com is a newer site that is attempting to aggregate all the art sites into a single source. It’s an ambitious endeavor and it currently in beta but early returns are that it is going to be a great resource for art collectors.
Auction sites – Heritage, ComicLink, and eBay are the primary sources here.
Comicartfans.com (CAF) – if you aren’t familiar with this site, devote some time to tool around looking at a lot of great art. This is a site that has personal collections and has other collectors and dealers selling here as well. It’s pretty much the online hub for comic art collectors.
Other collectors – Check CAF, this forum, other forums, FB for people that collect art and be active in the community. This is the best way to learn (like this thread) how things work, where to buy, who to avoid, etc. If you have been a statue collector and network online in that hobby, it’s the same concept for art.
My advice? Don’t make a large purchase right away as there is so much to learn and you might buy something you end up not really liking and you might pay too much. Start with lower price point purchases. I will also say to avoid jumping in with both feet and going crazy with spending but if you get the fever you most likely will. I would suggest trying to decide what type of collection you want to curate. Imagine what you think would make you happy and make a plan to get there. Temperance is a good thing.

What should you expect to pay? That is such a loaded question in that there is not a standard answer – it varies greatly depending on the art, artist, era, etc. You’d be better posting some examples of stuff you like and asking for input on value range. I am not a Gab expert so my perspective is not the best on him. For Deodato, I might be able to weigh in on Hulk art but not his other stuff. For both, it depends on the piece, like I said – examples are great.

You can review past auction results on Heritage and eBay as reference. You can view CAF and dealer sites for current asking prices on artists also. This will give you some ideas but not exact prices. All art is OOAK so there is no price guide, only references.

Learning the ropes takes time and experience and there are things you will just have to learn over time. You will buy art you love now and might not appreciate as much later. You will over pay for some art. You will pass on something thinking you can get it later or an example just as good will come long later and will regret passing because it doesn’t (this one was my biggest learning point). Your tastes will change, refine, become more/less focused. The mistakes/regrets you have along your journey have been called paying “tuition” for your comic art collecting education and I think the analogy is dead on.

My advice: do some research, spend a few evenings here and there looking around, posting, etc. Take a few weeks/months and then make a small purchase or 2 and do a slow burn into the hobby.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Don't do it! Run away as fast as you can!!! Dave gave some great advice. I would also suggest reading through this thread:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=158830

great articles for new and seasoned collectors.

Last edited by MONSTER; 10-20-2017 at 11:54 AM.
MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Don't do it! Run away as fast as you can!!! Dave gave some great advice. I would also suggest reading through this thread:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=158830

great articles for new and seasoned collectors.
The running advice is very good, even if intended as being funny. I say that because, if you start chasing art seriously, you will likely have to give something up. I was a very serious statue/bust/kit collector and spent a good portion of my hobby budget (if I am being honest, nearly ALL of my budget) while I was collecting these items. It wasn’t long after I discovered art that I had to make a decision as I was clearly not able to continue with my statue hobby AND get into art seriously at the same time. So, if you are into another hobby that currently takes a large share of your budget, be mindful that your art hobby will be a jealous mistress and want all your time and money lol. Note: art now has NEARLY ALL of my collecting budget.

Also great advice to read Dick’s weekly article – one of the best going on the hobby and reading this (current and past articles) will help greatly to immerse yourself into the auction side of the hobby especially.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I know we are on statueforum so it's kind of ridiculous to say this here but......comic art collecting is so much more rewarding then statue collecting. I still dabble in statues but there is just something magical about comic art.....and it takes up a lot less space. You could live in a closet and still collect art.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
SONICobra
Batman

thanks for the tips, that actually helps out a lot

i did want to start out a little slow and try to pick up a piece of art for each of my top 3 characters (wolverine, batman, daredevil) first - represented by one of my favorite artists for that particular character if possible. then just appreciate those for a while and possibly learn the ropes along the way in order to obtain some additional pieces in the future

i totally get what youre saying about pricing, i didnt know if it was similar to statues where if someone asked the same question i could say "well if youre looking for a 1/4 scale statue expect to pay $500-1200, 1/3 scale $800-1500, etc." but i understand how when it comes to this medium the prices could be all over the place depending on so many different factors

how do you guys display these normally? framed on a wall or in a book or something else? seems like some of the stuff i see could easily be worth over $10,000 its not like you just put that in some hobby lobby frame and call it a day
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #7
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Well one we don't shop at Hobby Lobby they are evil.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
OA Aficionado
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Thanks for the referrals and compliments @MONSTER and @JadeGiant

@SONICobra please feel free to check out the guide to original comic art collecting here:
https://comicbookinvest.com/2016/12/...ollecting-102/

And here's my column archives:
http://comicbookinvest.com/category/...rt-aficionado/
OA Aficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:04 PM   #9
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
thanks for the tips, that actually helps out a lot

i did want to start out a little slow and try to pick up a piece of art for each of my top 3 characters (wolverine, batman, daredevil) first - represented by one of my favorite artists for that particular character if possible. then just appreciate those for a while and possibly learn the ropes along the way in order to obtain some additional pieces in the future

i totally get what youre saying about pricing, i didnt know if it was similar to statues where if someone asked the same question i could say "well if youre looking for a 1/4 scale statue expect to pay $500-1200, 1/3 scale $800-1500, etc." but i understand how when it comes to this medium the prices could be all over the place depending on so many different factors

how do you guys display these normally? framed on a wall or in a book or something else? seems like some of the stuff i see could easily be worth over $10,000 its not like you just put that in some hobby lobby frame and call it a day
Displaying the art boils down to personal preference. I have a handful of pieces in frames...framed a really cool piece for my sons room and then am in the process of framing a handful of Punisher pieces for my Punisher wall (just an array of some of my favorite Punisher pieces). For some collectors, displaying really high-end/expensive pieces isnt the best option....even with museum quality framing and glass, I know guys who are still reluctant because of the possible damage the piece might incur over time. I'm somewhere in the middle when it comes to this...I have a handful of pieces framed...and a few of them are valuable and very meaningful to me (SGM Punisher and Mike Golden Punisher Cover), but the best of the best in my collection is currently sitting in toploaders in portfolios in a dresser. I'm considering framing my 3 Dell"otto covers and displaying them together, but I havent taken the leap yet...one, I'm always concerned about maintaining the integrity of the physical piece over time, and two, 3 high-end frame jobs is not cheap....Most times I'd rather just buy more art.
Punisher1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #10
Mr. Machismo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

To reiterate what Dave said, find your focus and start small. I made the mistake of going big, fast, across any art that I liked across Marvel, DC, etc. I had no focus and when the appeal of the art wore off, I wasn't happy with the piece. As a result, I've sold every non Batman piece I bought. On non-Batman stuff I came out breaking even, or at least close, I believe -- but it was a headache. Great learning experience, but if you don't have to do it...

Now, it's only about 5% of the time I'll buy a piece just for the art. Otherwise, it has to be one of my favourite comics/runs, else I know I won't hold on to it.

[New] Dell'Otto covers now start at ~10K for random, C-list characters lol. You can get on his rep's mailing list by e-mailing davidceci.fisio@gmail.com But tread very carefully...

Older Gab covers can be very affordable, as the prices the rep is demanding is based on the small handful of DK3 variant covers that initially sold, and outside of that, not that much is selling.

Also, it can be a black hole. So there's that.
Mr. Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote