Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 11-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #351
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Finally got around to reading X-Men Omnibus (Lee/Kirby/Thomas/Roth), and almost all of the way through it. Wow. Pure creative genius. It's so cool to see all these incredible elements of the X-Men legacy as they were presented to the world for the first time!

Great! Alas, I wish I could say the same of the Journey Into Mystery Thor omnibus... That series seemed to take years to get going, i.e., 25 issues or so.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #352
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Great! Alas, I wish I could say the same of the Journey Into Mystery Thor omnibus... That series seemed to take years to get going, i.e., 25 issues or so.
Very true. I had this conversation with nbr, actually. It does pick up dramatically in the issues following the first omnibus and reaches incredible heights later in the Lee/Kirby run.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #353
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I love those original stories!
Agreed! The other great feature is the reprinted letters pages with letters from now famous creators like Frank Brunner and Carlos Pacheco!

Last edited by wktf; 11-05-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #354
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Quote:
Very true. I had this conversation with nbr, actually. It does pick up dramatically in the issues following the first omnibus and reaches incredible heights later in the Lee/Kirby run.
Yeah, the JIM Thor 1st Omnibus is rather boring.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #355
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Agreed! The other great feature is the reprinted letters pages with letters from now famous creators like Frank Brunner and Carlos Pacheco!
The letters pages are great! I wish they'd just reprint the entire issue though, with ads and all. Those ads are so great to look at now, they really bring back the entire experience of buying the issues off the spinner rack back in the day.

Last edited by wktf; 11-05-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #356
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
The letters pages are great! I wish they'd just reprint the entire issue though, with ads and all. Those ads are so great to look at now, they really bring back the entire experience of buying the issues off the spinner rack back in the day.
Agreed. That'd be fantastic. I think the Creepy and Eerie collections include the ads as well.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #357
ratchet
Mandarin

Reprinting ads may be tricky - companies may want to be paid to have their products included in these collections - even though they pay to put them in in the first place!
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #358
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Reprinting ads may be tricky - companies may want to be paid to have their products included in these collections - even though they pay to put them in in the first place!
Yeah, I figured as much. I assumed that was why we haven't seen it done already in print. Although, I have those complete collections that were released a few years back, the ones that are scans of the comics. Those have the complete issue from cover to cover and I love looking at the ads in those.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #359
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Finished X-Men Omnibus vol 1, and now on the recently released New Avengers Omnibus vol 1 and, gotta say, now through the Avengers Disassembled part and most of the way through the first New Avengers arc, it's just spectacular. Knowing what we know now about Secret Invasion, Spider-Woman, House of M, Children's Crusade and othe up coming Marvel events, and reading Bendis' snappy dialogue, understanding his plans for future stories, and couple this with Finch's great art, this tome is just an awesome, delightful read.

Last edited by wktf; 11-11-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #360
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Finished X-Men Omnibus vol 1, and now on the recently released New Avengers Omnibus vol 1 and, gotta say, now through the Avengers Disassembled part and most of the way through the first New Avengers arc, it's just spectacular. Knowing what we know now about Secret Invasion, Spider-Woman, House of M, Children's Crusade and othe up coming Marvel events, and reading Bendis' snappy dialogue, understanding his plans for future stories, and couple this with Finch's great art, this tome is just an awesome, delightful read.

Do you think all those storylines were planned that far in advance?
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote