Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 07-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #681
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

I know harbottle did Thanos what’s he only sculptor for sideshow now? He can’t be doing all of them . He’s the guy doing their juggernaut. No offence to sideshow but they need to start supplying fans with the quality they charge . I own quite few XMs now they blow sideshow away. If they ever figure out how to ship cheap nobody will buy sideshow guaranteed
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #682
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
I know harbottle did Thanos what’s he only sculptor for sideshow now? He can’t be doing all of them . He’s the guy doing their juggernaut. No offence to sideshow but they need to start supplying fans with the quality they charge . I own quite few XMs now they blow sideshow away. If they ever figure out how to ship cheap nobody will buy sideshow guaranteed

You may not have to wait for cheaper shipping as a lot of XM pieces are still available on secondary market at really good pricing. And this is for stuff that has édition sizes below 1k. If SS restricted their edition sizes below 1k, well, different story.

XM are masters of marketing. Not knocking their quality, but for all the bells and whistles they provide with their statues, somehow most still lack soul. IMO SS is going in the right direction of late, with their more comic realism strategy. Yes, many b*tch and moan regarding their creative take on costumes, and though they don’t always get it right, I find the effort refreshing, as I am not bound to 2D simple, outdated designs, even though classic.

Now, where are the updated pics of this XM brn Wolverine? Cause this one has soul.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #683
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
He's just one of several sculptors in SS stables... He did Red Sonja (the one with the snake) and Voltron, he's helped out on a few portraits on others... Before that he did Gentle Giants Artemisia and Black Widow along with all the Sucker Punch girls.... he's really good at capturing actors likenesses.. IMO he's one of the best sculptors out there..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #684
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Sideshow has many great sculptors. Canale, Harbottle, and Daniel Bel are among my favorites. It's their art direction I have issues with.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #685
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

He’s awesome dont get me wrong but he can’t hit all their homeruns. Daniel biel is amazing I have his XM blk Panther. I like sideshows Wolverine PF and miles morales PF I ordered both. Not every XM piece is amazing but I feel the ones I ordered are some of the best. Their downfall is shipping . It’s an automatic 300.00 loss minimum on every XM piece because shipping not including import for us poor Canadians.

I’ve got upcoming Hulkbuster on its way eventually on top of that retarded price tag shipping could be close to 1K Canadian. It’s just too much . If sideshow improves with sculpts and variety of characters I’ll move away from XM as I can’t keep taking losses right out of the gate
Old 07-06-2018, 03:04 AM   #686
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
He’s awesome dont get me wrong but he can’t hit all their homeruns. Daniel biel is amazing I have his XM blk Panther. I like sideshows Wolverine PF and miles morales PF I ordered both. Not every XM piece is amazing but I feel the ones I ordered are some of the best. Their downfall is shipping . It’s an automatic 300.00 loss minimum on every XM piece because shipping not including import for us poor Canadians.

I’ve got upcoming Hulkbuster on its way eventually on top of that retarded price tag shipping could be close to 1K Canadian. It’s just too much . If sideshow improves with sculpts and variety of characters I’ll move away from XM as I can’t keep taking losses right out of the gate
Yeah, I stopped buying XM pieces because of the high shipping costs. I had to tap out after I picked up the XM Magneto, Thanos, and Phoenix. It hurt but I had to pass on HULKbuster, Weapon X, and Storm for the reasons you mentioned.

As for hitting homeruns all the time, no company can claim that. There will always be some hits and misses for every company.

I've seen your recent pics of Namor and Black Panther. They look phenomenal. Please take lots of pics of the HULKbuster when you get it. I'll have to admire it through pics since I seriously doubt I'll ever have one in my collection.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:34 AM   #687
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
XM's Cyclops isn't too shabby either.
Yeah I just pre-ordered him also.... I'm pretty much having to sell off my existing collection to make room for all these X-Men statues..

I should probably also get Professor X as I doubt he will be made again... so much money

And the new Ford Mustang Bullitt comes out in a few months which I want to get also.... All these XM statues could of paid a 1/4 of the car
Old 07-06-2018, 05:00 AM   #688
silentwinter92
U talkin' to me?

I’ll say XM still has a Long way in perfecting the female form, pose, gait. Getting really quite sick of their one arm outreach poses. In terms of female face portraits they are already better than Prime 1 but still a ways off from sideshow.

But their full sculpt texturing, clean paintwork are right up there with prime 1 or dareisay better. This is always sideshow’s remaining flaw although more of their sculpts have been debunking this.

Their men are balls outawesome though, xm is the go to company for male sculpts now. Darth maul, scorpion, moon knight are some very respectable offerings.
silentwinter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #689
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

No doubt and I’m out of cash and space . I may not even be able to display these the way I imagined I’ve got so many 1/6s and dios as well. I’m kinda at a point be happy with what you have or get rid of it because unfortunately I can’t have it all
Old 07-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #690
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwinter92 View Post
I’ll say XM still has a Long way in perfecting the female form, pose, gait. Getting really quite sick of their one arm outreach poses. In terms of female face portraits they are already better than Prime 1 but still a ways off from sideshow.

But their full sculpt texturing, clean paintwork are right up there with prime 1 or dareisay better. This is always sideshow’s remaining flaw although more of their sculpts have been debunking this.

Their men are balls outawesome though, xm is the go to company for male sculpts now. Darth maul, scorpion, moon knight are some very respectable offerings.
I agree SS usually makes great female portraits but have you seen SS latest offerings? Poison Ivy, Mystique, Emma Frost, not the most feminine looking portraits and then Supergirl who looks a bit cartoony....

The other problem with SS is even if they make a awesome female portrait, it's a prototype and you have to cross your fingers the factory doesn't botch up the production version... Although the latest Red Sonja production statue did come out awesome... but it's always seems like a 50/50 chance..

I think XM has done a great job with Dark Phoenix and Storm portraits, both look incredible...