Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-06-2017, 02:52 PM   #22821
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Sure he's not up to today's special effects standards but neither are most films that are almost 4 decades old. That in and of itself isn't justification to remake a film in my eyes, but to each their own I suppose.
If they had the nerve to make JAWS 2, 3, and 4, I think it's within reason to look at a possible update for various reasons aside from f/x.

Look at The Shallows...decent flick with a mediocre storyline.

JAWS remake could be soooo good with a capable director and writer at the helm, and a hot actress running around in a bikini.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #22822
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Like I said, to each their own but I have no interest in a remake. To me they can't possibly improve on the dramatic aspects of that film. You could make another shark film without treading on what I feel is sacred ground, just call it something else and create original characters. I'm of the belief some films should just be left alone. Jaws, The Godfather, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark etc.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:20 PM   #22823
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

Quote:
Like I said, to each their own but I have no interest in a remake. To me they can't possibly improve on the dramatic aspects of that film. You could make another shark film without treading on what I feel is sacred ground, just call it something else and create original characters. I'm of the belief some films should just be left alone. Jaws, The Godfather, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark etc.
I agree. Some movies are just too iconic and representative of a certain period of cinema and are better left alone. If they want to make something with Jaws again, make a sequel or something with a new story. Fury Road was great because it brought new things to the Mad Max universe. Of course Hollywood don´t think like this and remakes are always a possibility, like the upcoming Suspiria remake...
Jesse Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #22824
Saturday_Knight_Surfer
U talkin' to me?

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Custer View Post
Quote:
I'm of the belief some films should just be left alone. Jaws, The Godfather, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark etc.
I agree. Some movies are just too iconic and representative of a certain period of cinema and are better left alone. If they want to make something with Jaws again, make a sequel or something with a new story. Fury Road was great because it brought new things to the Mad Max universe. Of course Hollywood don´t think like this and remakes are always a possibility, like the upcoming Suspiria remake...
Talking about remakes and Jaws, Hollywood could do worse like unlikely crossovers... Shark Wars, Raiders of the Lost Shark, Lord of the Shrimps,...

Saturday_Knight_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #22825
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Me and the wife work our way through our horror movies pretty much from the beginning of Sept through to Halloween.

We watched The Happening on Monday.... it was not good.
Maybe a 3.5 / 10
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #22826
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Like I said, to each their own but I have no interest in a remake. To me they can't possibly improve on the dramatic aspects of that film. You could make another shark film without treading on what I feel is sacred ground, just call it something else and create original characters.
You make some good points, but you do realize though that the film was an adaptation from Peter Benchley's 1974 novel? I'm sure there were plenty of detractors then, as there are now in terms of source material vs. film versions.

Quote:
I'm of the belief some films should just be left alone. Jaws, The Godfather, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark etc.
Hard to argue with you on these comparisons. All fine films that are perfect for the most part.

That being said, look at Stephen King's IT.

Classic book vs. 1990 tv movie vs. 2017 film out this week.

One could argue the 2017 could be a superior hit!
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #22827
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
You make some good points, but you do realize though that the film was an adaptation from Peter Benchley's 1974 novel? I'm sure there were plenty of detractors then, as there are now in terms of source material vs. film versions.
Well, that's kind of an entirely separate issue I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky
Hard to argue with you on these comparisons. All fine films that are perfect for the most part.

That being said, look at Stephen King's IT.

Classic book vs. 1990 tv movie vs. 2017 film out this week.

One could argue the 2017 could be a superior hit!
IT was an overrated television adaptation IMO. Good for it's time but doesn't really hold up as the tv medium couldn't go all in back then. That's a good example of something that should benefit from a remake. I'd expect the film to improve on the material if for no other reason it's an R rated feature film.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #22828
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

I know I am in the minority but I have never found ANY Stephen King stuff the least bit scary. Not novels, not short stories, not movies. I know he is the "king" of horror but I don't get it. IT is no exception in my book, not scary to me at all and I don't think this new movie will be any different but I do agree that it will likely be better than previous adaptation, even if Tim Curry was the near perfect clown.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #22829
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
I know I am in the minority but I have never found ANY Stephen King stuff the least bit scary. Not novels, not short stories, not movies. I know he is the "king" of horror but I don't get it. IT is no exception in my book, not scary to me at all and I don't think this new movie will be any different but I do agree that it will likely be better than previous adaptation, even if Tim Curry was the near perfect clown.
I feel the same for the most part, The Shining being the one exception. That said I think that was more due to Kubrick than King.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #22830
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
I don't find King scary, but I don't really find any horror movies to be scary; they're just "cool" to me. I've never judged him by scariness, but by creativeness. And in that regard, I find he frequently starts out well, capturing my interest, but then the stories trail off; endings often feeling like an afterthought. Probably why The Shining and The Mist are two of my favorites - because of other director's involvement.

I've just seen a little of this new IT, but I think it looks much better, and creepier.

Quote:
I feel the same for the most part, The Shining being the one exception. That said I think that was more due to Kubrick than King.
Definitely.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote