Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 09-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #31
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Kinda more a NFC west thread Wish more would post,should be interesting if your Megatron can put some mad numbers again.
Agreed - however it will mean jack sh1t if Stafford cant help get him in the endzone...TDs dammit!
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #32
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
We have some 69'er fans in here too. NFC West is just representing is all.

Hopefully as the season gets rolling more NFL fans will join the discussion.
Should be a fun thread thats for sure, as the season rolls on...
Old 09-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #33
dablkpnther
The Secret Six

I'm a Panthers/Steelers fan.

I'm hoping that Cam can shake off the sophomore slump and have a breakout year like he did in his first season with Carolina. Defense better show up this year. They got the Falcons and the Saints to contend with now that Sean Payton back on the sidelines. It's going to be an uphill battle for the NFC South crown. If coach Rivera don't turn it aound this year his arse will be on the hot seat.

As for my Steelers their perennial contenders so I'm not too concern with them except for the QB staying healthy and aging defense keeping the game close.

I am stoked for the new season to begin...can't wait til kickoff to start the season!
dablkpnther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #34
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dablkpnther View Post
I'm a Panthers fan.
That sucks you'll be starting the season off with a loss then.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #35
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

I love the enthusiasm of the Seabags and Whiners fans. Niners won't make it back to the SB anyhow (last team to go back to back SB was 2005 - near the end of the Patriots-Prime era. And you mofos are no Patriots.

Seabags - If you think Russell Wilson, with those mediocre stats will get you to a SB, youre delusional. One of you is a playoff team, but neither will go big dance.

PRINT IT!!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #36
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
I love the enthusiasm of the Seabags and Whiners fans. Niners won't make it back to the SB anyhow (last team to go back to back SB was 2005 - near the end of the Patriots-Prime era. And you mofos are no Patriots.

Seabags - If you think Russell Wilson, with those mediocre stats will get you to a SB, youre delusional. One of you is a playoff team, but neither will go big dance.

PRINT IT!!
we'll see. Both teams are the cream of the crop in the NFC, maybe even the NFL IMO. Green Bay and Atlanta will probably be there at the end but I do think it will come down to the Hawks and the Niners in the NFC when all is said and done.

As for Wilson's "mediocre" stats. Everyone talks about how he "tied" Peyton Manning's record setting TD rookie season but when you look at their entire season Wilson destroyed Manning. While both threw 26 touchdowns, Manning was intercepted 28 times in his first season in Indianapolis, which is almost three times as many as Wilson’s 10 picks in the 2012/13 season. Manning’s passer rating was a puny 71.2 compared to Wilson’s franchise-record 100.0. Not to mention all that was done with an offensive coordinator that played conservative and held him back for the first half of the season. Statistically speaking after one season Wilson is ranked among the elite QBs in the league. We haven't seen that since Dan Marino.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #37
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
we'll see. Both teams are the cream of the crop in the NFC, maybe even the NFL IMO. Green Bay and Atlanta will probably be there at the end but I do think it will come down to the Hawks and the Niners in the NFC when all is said and done.

As for Wilson's "mediocre" stats. Everyone talks about how he "tied" Peyton Manning's record setting TD rookie season but when you look at their entire season Wilson destroyed Manning. While both threw 26 touchdowns, Manning was intercepted 28 times in his first season in Indianapolis, which is almost three times as many as Wilson’s 10 picks in the 2012/13 season. Manning’s passer rating was a puny 71.2 compared to Wilson’s franchise-record 100.0. Not to mention all that was done with an offensive coordinator that played conservative and held him back for the first half of the season. Statistically speaking after one season Wilson is ranked among the elite QBs in the league. We haven't seen that since Dan Marino.
Outstanding use of data my friend. But comparing rookie seasons isn't entirely useful, though Wilson should feel great about his accomplishments last season. But look at the current truth if you'd like to compare QBs, Manning ended the year with a QB rating of 105.8, which was tops in the AFC, and second only to Aaron Rogers' 108.00. I mean hell, Aikman had a crap rookie year too. Aikman and Manning didn't inherit the same teams that those men did, that's why they went higher in the draft than Wilson

And while Wilson's 3118 yards are great, they put him slightly above Christian Ponder, Jay Cutler and behind Ryan Tannehill. If you subtract Calvin Johnson yards, he still had less than Matt Stafford.

He's ok. But just ok...if they win large, it'll be on the BeastMode's back and the defense...
Old 09-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #38
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

The most important factor in a QB's success is to have enough quality supporting players around him to allow him to do what he does best. So you're right, a strong defense and running game will absolutely help Wilson but the guy has certain intangibles you just can't teach and I think he'll have another successful season on par with last year's.

I think the big story this year is going to be how defenses handle the read-option given it's success last year. A lot of teams with rookie QB's are running this now and considering how it requires near flawless execution and discipline I think a lot of great defenses are going to exploit it.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #39
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Agreed. I also think teams are going to "catch up" to teams that did well last year with younger QBs. I think Wilson, Kap, RG, Luck will find their seasons more challenging than last year
Old 09-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #40
dablkpnther
The Secret Six

Quote:
That sucks you'll be starting the season off with a loss then.
I'm optimistic that my team will get a win at HOME against Russell Wilson and the rest of the Seahawks.
dablkpnther is offline   Reply With Quote