Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-14-2014, 12:44 AM   #601
floreairfoot
Sinister Six

http://www.americanframe.com/

I have a large collection of prints, posters, lithos, and giclees - I've used American Frame for everything so far.

They offer high-end archival options, like uv-acrylic that's produced to reduce PVC gasses.

PVC gasses can destroy artwork over a lifetime, so always be mindful of the brand you're using; Acrylite is the best out there.
floreairfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:45 AM   #602
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I get trying to save money here but I spend a good bit of time at the framer's trying different mat combinations, 2 or 3 mats, then trying out a bunch off different frames. Often its hard to tell what will look good and for color matching I find you have to have the piece right there. I suppose you can get close but I am also interested in hearing the actual savings.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:54 AM   #603
floreairfoot
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post
On average, how much do you save when framing yourself? I'd like to learn as well, on some cheaper prints.
It depends... how many pieces do you have to frame? It's only cost affective if you're going to be doing a lot.

You'll need to invest in some materials.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:17 AM   #604
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post
On average, how much do you save when framing yourself? I'd like to learn as well, on some cheaper prints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floreairfoot View Post
It depends... how many pieces do you have to frame? It's only cost affective if you're going to be doing a lot.

You'll need to invest in some materials
The link i supplied offers all the same archival materials and Acrylite but if you dont want glare there is museum glass and they now have a non glare acrylic as well.

Investing in materials will be a spendy venture if you really want to start getting into doing some of your own framing. Even with cheaper versions of the tools needed your looking at pretty much minimum of $500. You will need a joiner a saw a driver and points a matt cutter, clamps, a static or horse hair brush different kinds of mounting tapes and adhesives, kraft paper, an awl, sandpaper, various measuring and squaring tools not to mention raw supplies such as matt board and frame moldings plus ordering the glazing.

Its a lot to learn and takes some patience but it is fun to do. The one thing I dislike about it is unless you have a licensed frame shop or at least a license to do so you miss out on a TON of options for moldings and mats and other materials that are only available to licensed shops and framers.

Its a lot as i said but you can drop $500 easy on a single frame up at a shop so even if you do only do a few a year but consistently plan on doing more the initial investment can be well worth it.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:25 AM   #605
floreairfoot
Sinister Six

Here's a sample of a piece I've recently framed using American Frame.

The following materials I own and use myself; the prices are average...

Fletcher FrameMaster F3010 - $80

Filmoplast P-90 Plus mounting/hinging tape - $20

Black Tyvek backing paper - the small rolls are about $50

NOVUS acrylic cleaner - about $5-8

3M Hand Applied Transfer Tape for mounting the backing paper to the frame - $17

Dust Cover Trimmer (you can use an exacto knife) - $7
Old 11-14-2014, 01:36 AM   #606
floreairfoot
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithlord32 View Post
The link i supplied offers all the same archival materials and Acrylite but if you dont want glare there is museum glass and they now have a non glare acrylic as well.
I suggest everyone stay FAR AWAY from any form of "non-glare" acrylic, it invites light into the frame and can potentially ruin your artwork.

Real Tru Vue Museum Glass is the best money can buy, but that means it's extremely expensive. I've only used it on a handful of my pieces.

Quote:
Investing in materials will be a spendy venture if you really want to start getting into doing some of your own framing. Even with cheaper versions of the tools needed your looking at pretty much minimum of $500. You will need a joiner a saw a driver and points a matt cutter, clamps, a static or horse hair brush different kinds of mounting tapes and adhesives, kraft paper, an awl, sandpaper, various measuring and squaring tools not to mention raw supplies such as matt board and frame moldings plus ordering the glazing.
Not true, if you're using a site like American Frame.

The mats are pre-cut, based on the size of your artwork, and all of the wood frames come assembled. You can even buy mat samples for everything they offer if you'd like to match colors in person.

Quote:
Its a lot to learn and takes some patience but it is fun to do. The one thing I dislike about it is unless you have a licensed frame shop or at least a license to do so you miss out on a TON of options for moldings and mats and other materials that are only available to licensed shops and framers.

Its a lot as i said but you can drop $500 easy on a single frame up at a shop so even if you do only do a few a year but consistently plan on doing more the initial investment can be well worth it.
There is a lot to learn but it's a fun venture.

I've linked a great video on "conservation/archival" mounting artwork to a mat - one of the main steps in protecting your investment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Shqj...eature=related
Old 11-14-2014, 01:57 AM   #607
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by floreairfoot View Post
I suggest everyone stay FAR AWAY from any form of "non-glare" acrylic, it invites light into the frame and can potentially ruin your artwork.

Real Tru Vue Museum Glass is the best money can buy, but that means it's extremely expensive. I've only used it on a handful of my pieces.

Not true, if you're using a site like American Frame.

The mats are pre-cut, based on the size of your artwork, and all of the wood frames come assembled. You can even buy mat samples for everything they offer if you'd like to match colors in person.

There is a lot to learn but it's a fun venture.

I've linked a great video on "conservation/archival" mounting artwork to a mat - one of the main steps in protecting your investment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Shqj...eature=related
Acrylite the same brand you suggested that sells on both sites makes the non glare UV acrylic I have pieces framed in it and have had zero issues. Yes the museum glass is expensive but it was there for the intent of options for the OP. Some people will pay the extra just because they dont want the glare period.

That estimate was based on doing it yourself ordering from americanframe and framedestination isnt really doing it yourself its just putting it together yourself. Which is far simpler and yes less expensive.

I would also suggest creating an account on exspressobeans.com and reading through all the forums and threads on framing and matting there is a wealth of knowledge there.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:17 AM   #608
floreairfoot
Sinister Six

Quote:
Acrylite the same brand you suggested that sells on both sites makes the non glare UV acrylic I have pieces framed in it and have had zero issues. Yes the museum glass is expensive but it was there for the intent of options for the OP. Some people will pay the extra just because they dont want the glare period.
You're probably safe if it's UV protected, but straight "non-glare" acrylic/glass is the worst possible choice a collector could make.

Quote:
That estimate was based on doing it yourself ordering from americanframe and framedestination isnt really doing it yourself its just putting it together yourself. Which is far simpler and yes less expensive.
Right, but I doubt anyone here needs/wants to assemble a frame by themselves.

Also, buying uncut mat is a complete waste of money if you're not a frame shop.

Quote:
I would also suggest creating an account on exspressobeans.com and reading through all the forums and threads on framing and matting there is a wealth of knowledge there.
Yea, EB is awesome!

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewforum.php?f=31
Old 11-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #609
Synzaic
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlai View Post
I didn't know they'd ship different times. I ordered both a bit late before they sold out. Had both in the cart, applied the points, and it took it off the total order. I've used coupons and codes at many other retailers and never had issues with getting the correct discounts on orders with multiple items. If there was a problem with the order they should have called or the system shouldn't allow it in the first place. I'm not a fan of being overcharged one bit.
But your order WILL be right won't it? When the points come off poison ivy print? I don't understand.
Synzaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #610
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Can those in the know expand a bit more on the glass/acrylic thing? I noted Michael's recently started offering the UV acrylic as its most expensive option. I didn't see the point vs real glass but the framer said its for rare pieces that risk damage. I suppose this means if the piece falls the glass will shatter and damage the artwork, acrylic not so much. I usually use the museum glass. I love the non-glare look but damn if you touch that stuff you can never get it clean. I have also noted it has a purple tinge to it in little drops in the right light. It almost looks like someone sneezed and sprayed all over it. I thought it may be do to dust??
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote