Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM   #29971
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I saw it today. It's more family oriented then the older ones, but I did enjoy it. I'd say 7/10.
I'd say about the same. 6 or 7.

They need to decide how they're portraying 'ghosts', as Afterlife and now Frozen Empire aren't consistent with the first two movies, games, and cartoon (from what I remember).

The only great Ghostbusters is the first movie and 2009 game. Everything else is just 'ok'.

They should do a 2-3 season tv series. It's a cool enough 'universe' to explore, but the movies are failing to capture the same 'lightning in a bottle' as the first.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 04:16 PM   #29972
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Ghostbusters Frozen Empire - 4/10

Very disappointed in this one. The first 75% of the movie was boring as hell, and then the finale seemed to have come and gone in 15 minutes. The comedy was forced and not funny. Unfortunately, this will be like Jurassic Park Dominion, in that I'll pretend it doesn't exist.
I liked Garraka, his design, etc., but yeah, the climax was pretty weak. He doesn't do much.

Spoiler
Relying on everyone throwing proton beams at the enemy is getting old (and less effective!). And some overused movie tropes need to go. Four people (with nothing to do) trying to throw a mechanical lever, which would break off from the force long before moving. Seemingly minor thing for most - but better writing could be much more creative in designing their task.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:24 PM   #29973
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I liked Garraka, his design, etc., but yeah, the climax was pretty weak. He doesn't do much.

Spoiler
Relying on everyone throwing proton beams at the enemy is getting old (and less effective!). And some overused movie tropes need to go. Four people (with nothing to do) trying to throw a mechanical lever, which would break off from the force long before moving. Seemingly minor thing for most - but better writing could be much more creative in designing their task.
Yeah, he had a really cool design. But, the pacing was just so uneven. IDK, I was super excited, but just felt really deflated as I left the theatre. Maybe it's time to give the franchise another long break.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 04:25 PM   #29974
nearmint
Phoenix

There were a lot of families in the theater when I saw it, and the kids really seemed to enjoy it. There was actual applause after the mid-credits scene.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 04:33 PM   #29975
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Yeah, he had a really cool design. But, the pacing was just so uneven. IDK, I was super excited, but just felt really deflated as I left the theatre. Maybe it's time to give the franchise another long break.
I agree.

I think in a post-MCU world, villains/arcs need to be developed better.

Do 2-3 season show, planting the seeds for a doomsday-level villain (generic doomsday, not Doomsday), leading to a movie.

The biggest problem for me though is creativeness. Getting a cool new bad guy is a start. But,
Spoiler
Slimer added nothing. Flame Master is the new Key Master. Even same collander-wearing shtick.
This is Aykroyd's baby, but other people need to come in to write, I think.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:35 PM   #29976
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I agree.

I think in a post-MCU world, villains/arcs need to be developed better.

Do 2-3 season show, planting the seeds for a doomsday-level villain (generic doomsday, not Doomsday), leading to a movie.

The biggest problem for me though is creativeness. Getting a cool new bad guy is a start. But,
Spoiler
Slimer added nothing. Flame Master is the new Key Master. Even same collander-wearing shtick.
This is Aykroyd's baby, but other people need to come in to write, I think.
Yeah, they are obviously turning this into a kid's franchise, and I don't know if that's going to benefit them at the box office. It only made $45 million, but I have a feeling it's going to drop significantly in the second weekend and struggle after that. I saw it in one of the really large theatre's and there was maybe 10-12 people in the whole theatre, and that was including myself and the person I went with.

Not to mention, I found two of the four main characters quite unlikable in this one too.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:36 PM   #29977
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
There were a lot of families in the theater when I saw it, and the kids really seemed to enjoy it. There was actual applause after the mid-credits scene.
I think it was entertaining, but flawed. Fine for newcomers; harder to please legacy fans. Like most things these days.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:45 PM   #29978
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Anatomy of a Fall - 8.5/10

This movie sucked me in. The lead actress was incredible, and I loved the mystery of the murder in question. I was a tiny bit let down by the ending, though.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:53 PM   #29979
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Anatomy of a Fall - 8.5/10

This movie sucked me in. The lead actress was incredible, and I loved the mystery of the murder in question. I was a tiny bit let down by the ending, though.
Have you seen Zone of Interest? Same actress. She had a great year.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 04:59 PM   #29980
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Have you seen Zone of Interest? Same actress. She had a great year.
I have not. What is it about?