Cyclops

Meh, I tried.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #22
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
Yeah it's a great book. I have the limited version. I think I or someone else started a topic about it. But there wasn't much interest here.

http://stuartngbooks.com/the-art-of-...d-edition.html

There are also a few sellers with McGinnis prints on eBay that I'm watching.

I think the reprints / copies of movie posters started to hurt studios. As well as new collectors. I know I slowed down and stopped as I wasn't sure what I was getting with some modern posters. Even if you only got double sided posters, people made reprints of those too. The Spider-Man teaser was a popular one as it was edited and pulled like twice.

From what I know, few studios actually sold theatrical posters directly. And at times sold reprints as well for fan purchase. I have a Goldeneye reprint that was from a free offer I think with the VHS purchase or something else. Star Wars Phantom Menace had the whole fan club edition of the poster compared to the theatrical poster which had double and single sided versions.
Well F*ck me, I didn't even know a limited edition version of that book existed. I would have loved to have gotten that. Actually, I am probably going to hunt one down now and have to pay like 5x the regular value. Thanks for that one, lol. Oh crap, I didn't see the link. They are actually still for sale. Very nice!! I am definitely going to be ordering a copy! Thanks for the heads up!! As much as I love the cover on the regular version, that cover just BLOWS it away. Oh well, I'll just have both copies. Best of both worlds, lol.

I actually started a thread on art books that never really took off and one of the reasons I started it was so that people could announce when special editions like that came out. It really is unfortunate that thread didn't become more popular as its just so hard keeping track of everything that get released these days, especially when you have a lot of different collecting hobbies. And its easy to miss separate posts for individual books that just kinda get pushed down as time goes on.

Honestly, I don't know enough about the movie poster market to be able to comment on it one way or another, but as long as the reprints were being sold by official licenced retailers, the studio's would still be getting a cut, but I don't know what the release of reprints did to the overall size of the poster collecting market. I just know it used to be one of the most popular collecting hobbies in the world, but beyond that movie posters are one collecting market that I really know very little about. I have always been into prints more than posters, although I do own most of the original posters for the super hero movies that have come to market.

A buddy of mine actually collects 11x17 movie poster reprints (mostly of the classic film posters made 15+ years back) and I have to admit, even tho they are reprints and are just 11x17, its kinda cool looking through the portfolios he keeps them in as they are pretty high in quality and you just couldn't view regular poster collections like that. He knows they are reprints and will never be worth anything. He just buys them for the appreciation of the art, which I can respect as I do the same with a lot of cheaper digital prints. Regular sized movie posters made them very difficult to store and view. Most serious collectors got print file cabinets and its very difficult to view art stored in print file cabinets.

I don't know, I guess you would need accurate figures as to just how much studios made with posters as the years went on to be able to say one way or the other wether declining movie poster profits was a factor in them switching to the photoshop style posters we see today. I think its far more likely that the switch occured simply due to the lower costs and the MUCH faster speed in which posters could be created. Or it could be a combination of all those things. Honesty, a talented photoshop artist could make that Guardians of the Galaxy poster in a single day. Digital is just so fast, easy and cost effective. One of the reasons I hate digital photography is it takes away so much of the artistic side of the medium. Unfortunatey, for whatever reasons, digital technology has had the same effect on movie posters.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:36 PM   #23
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Well, its official, I just ordered the limited edition version of The Art of Robert E. McGinnis. I was pretty much sold on it already, but then I saw it came with the print of "Kill Now, Pay Later" signed by McGinnis and that the book itself is signed and numbered and limited to 1000. I couldn't check out fast enough once I read that.

Again, a huge thanks for the heads up on that one. This will definitely become one of my prized limited edition art books!!

Honestly, that website in general is fantastic. I don't know how that website slipped by my radar. So double thanks on that one. Not only did you give me the heads up on the limited edition McGinnis book, you also led me to a fantastic art book website.

You get a gold star sticker for today!!!

Old 03-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #24
ukshaun
Hercules

ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:16 PM   #25
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Old 03-15-2017, 06:16 PM   #26
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Well F*ck me, I didn't even know a limited edition version of that book existed. I would have loved to have gotten that. Actually, I am probably going to hunt one down now and have to pay like 5x the regular value. Thanks for that one, lol. Oh crap, I didn't see the link. They are actually still for sale. Very nice!! I am definitely going to be ordering a copy! Thanks for the heads up!! As much as I love the cover on the regular version, that cover just BLOWS it away. Oh well, I'll just have both copies. Best of both worlds, lol.

I actually started a thread on art books that never really took off and one of the reasons I started it was so that people could announce when special editions like that came out. It really is unfortunate that thread didn't become more popular as its just so hard keeping track of everything that get released these days, especially when you have a lot of different collecting hobbies. And its easy to miss separate posts for individual books that just kinda get pushed down as time goes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Well, its official, I just ordered the limited edition version of The Art of Robert E. McGinnis. I was pretty much sold on it already, but then I saw it came with the print of "Kill Now, Pay Later" signed by McGinnis and that the book itself is signed and numbered and limited to 1000. I couldn't check out fast enough once I read that.

Again, a huge thanks for the heads up on that one. This will definitely become one of my prized limited edition art books!!

Honestly, that website in general is fantastic. I don't know how that website slipped by my radar. So double thanks on that one. Not only did you give me the heads up on the limited edition McGinnis book, you also led me to a fantastic art book website.

You get a gold star sticker for today!!!

Cool. Usually I check Budplant and the MarvelMasterworksfansite forum for news of rare books. Budplant still has their catalog and a mailing list. I think that McGinnis book is by Titan and they usually make limited versions of some of their books. But there are a lot of nice high end books that come out these days. Books don't get that much attention here. Budplant had the Sensuous Frazetta Deluxe as well. I think that was their top book from last year. The Alex Raymond book isn't that bad either.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:31 PM   #27
zeus
What's another word for Thesaurus?

This is the same with the old paperbacks with the awesome painted covers and the new ones with just pictures.Here is a series I collect.The painted covers are from pre-2000 and the Photo are post 2000.Click image for larger version

Name:	Executioner47.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	102642

Click image for larger version

Name:	desperate-cargo-don-pendleton-book-cover-art.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	102643

The painted art on the paperbacks are so cool .Just like the painted poster from the 80's
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #28
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
i love this
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #29
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus View Post
This is the same with the old paperbacks with the awesome painted covers and the new ones with just pictures.Here is a series I collect.The painted covers are from pre-2000 and the Photo are post 2000.Attachment 102642

Attachment 102643

The painted art on the paperbacks are so cool .Just like the painted poster from the 80's
Yeah, digital has had the same effect pretty much across the board. Again, its just so fast, easy, and cost efficient that any company that puts profits over artistic integrity is going to wind up going the digital route and thus have vastly inferior covers, posters, etc. than what we saw in days past. Its unfortunate, but thats just the effect digital has had. And I am right with ya in regards to those painted book covers from back in the day. I absolutely love that stuff. Pulp magazine covers were another amazing medium for that kind of art. Have you ever heard of Jose Benicio. He's a brazilian artist that has been doing those painted style book covers for roughly 60+ years. If your not familiar with his work you should really check out some of his pictures online. Just google "Jose Benicio book covers" and check them out. Just some fantastic stuff.

I actually suspected that we would see a move back to film in regards to photography as digital will never be able to replicate the medium of photography as a whole and there are just so many things you can do on the film side that you can't do on the digital side and we have started to see that movement in the last last year or two. Who knows, maybe we will see something similar with posters and book covers and such as the years go by and more and more people get sick of the easy digital styles that are so prevalent everywhere you look these days. If it happened with photography, it can certainly happen with other mediums as well. At least we can hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
i love this
Yeah, its definitely a great poster!
Old 03-18-2017, 01:36 AM   #30
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
Cool. Usually I check Budplant and the MarvelMasterworksfansite forum for news of rare books. Budplant still has their catalog and a mailing list. I think that McGinnis book is by Titan and they usually make limited versions of some of their books. But there are a lot of nice high end books that come out these days. Books don't get that much attention here. Budplant had the Sensuous Frazetta Deluxe as well. I think that was their top book from last year. The Alex Raymond book isn't that bad either.
Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely add Budplant and the MarvelMasterworksfansite forum to my rare book bookmarks.

One of my favorites art book companies is Taschen. They have produced some of the nicest art books I have ever seen. Unfortunately, their limited editions are just ridiculously expensive (Like $2,500 all the way up past $10,000+) and way out of my price range, but I absolutely LOVE their XL series and XXL series of books and many of them are much more afordable and they really redefine what a large book really is, especially the XXL line. Over the last year I have purchased the following Tacschen XL and XXL books:

*Gisele Bundchen (XL)
*Peter Lindbergh: A Different Vision on Fashion (XL)
*SebastiĆ£o Salgado: GENESIS (XL)
*Helmut Newton: SUMO (XL)
*Andy Warhol: Polaroids (XL)
*75 Years of Marvel Comics. From Golden Age to the Silver Screen (XXL)
*The Art of Pin-up (XXL)

And I just pre-ordered 75 Years of DC Comics: The Art of Modern Mythmaking (XL). I think the release date is May 2017. While their XL books are absolutely amazing and still make regular books look small by comparison, their XXL books are just insane. Their some of the largest books I have ever seen. Their just absolute monsters. Until you have seen one in person, you really just have no idea what to expect. Some of the XXL's are more affordbale (around $200 MSRP which can usually be found for around 50% off is your patient), but some of them definitely get up there in price $700-$1500+.

On of their coolest books is Moonfire. Only 12 copies were made. They were inspired by the Apollo 11 LEM and each book is contained in a case made from a single piece of aluminum, its surface an actual 3-D topography of the Moon, and it comes with a unique piece of lunar rock.

They don't even list a price. You have to call, lol. I can guarantee its over $15,000 a copy. They also claim to have made the largest and most expensive book of the 20th century, the limied edition version of Helmut Newton's Sumo. Measuring 50 x 70 cm (20 x 27.5 inches) and weighing roughly 66 lb., it even comes with a special stand for the book.

They are definitely a company for very serious and very rich book collectors, but they do have a large selection of much more affordable books as well so if your in to quality art books, you should really check them out if you haven't already.

https://www.taschen.com

Again, I am now addicted to Taschen art books as once you get used to those XL and XXL books, it really does make even most special edition's seem underwhelming by comparison. Personally, the two I would recommend the most are Gisele Bundchen (XL) and Art of Pin-Up (XXL). Gisele is just a stunning book of you like modern fashion photography and the Art of Pin-Up is MASSIVE and is without question the nicest Pin-up art book ever created.