Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 02-12-2020, 04:36 PM   #11
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
What are your thoughts on Batman?

Batman is so Pulpish, it's like he's one of the pulp heroes immigrating in to super hero business, even if he's created at the age of super heroes. He's trying to survive and doing it well... I don't see him artsy like Superman, can't put him really in any art movement... Gothic ? movement was long dead when the batman was created so... he's just pulp so i don't have a problem with him being constantly published, but Superman is different... He was really artsy. The Glamour, The Speed and Steel aspects of art deco is all in him. You know Stainless Steel was first avalible at the art deco time, so being the man of steel, he really represents art deco.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:07 PM   #12
qz33
Rescue

I really don't see any comic characters belonging to their particular artistic period of origin. Superman may belong more to a specific period I don't see him just being solely in art deco.

Superman is just a very 1 dimensional character.
He's the proto-typical Super-man. He is the ultimate representation of D.C.'s problem of with their characters.

I really do feel Mark Millar nailed it.
https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...han-dc-theory/
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #13
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
I really do feel Mark Millar nailed it.
https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...han-dc-theory/
I see his point, but just because it hasn’t been done yet doesn’t mean it can’t be done. DC just makes bad choices when making movies. Green Lantern could be a good movie, so could Supes or any of their super powered characters. Gotta get someone to write a story that fits with the character, not try and make the character fit into a certain type of movie making that’s trendy.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #14
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
I see his point, but just because it hasn’t been done yet doesn’t mean it can’t be done. DC just makes bad choices when making movies. Green Lantern could be a good movie, so could Supes or any of their super powered characters. Gotta get someone to write a story that fits with the character, not try and make the character fit into a certain type of movie making that’s trendy.
They did it with Joker but that was because it wasn't a Batman movie. Or really a Joker movie for that matter.

Really the success of the Marvel movies are really due to personalties. Spider-man is evergreen because high school isn't going away. He's got abilities but not ones that take him completely beyond the life of an everyday kid.

Not saying it couldn't be done with DC just that it's been harder with how they are and harder to bridge everyone's expectations of what those movies are supposed to be to them.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:07 AM   #15
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Superman is not a has-been. Like The Fantastic Four, he’s a very difficult character to write. I’m talking about comic books here rather than movies. There have been absolutely brilliant Superman stories but also stinkers. Same true of the FF. The last writer really to get the FF was Mark Waid, who wrote them brilliantly. Waid also wrote great Superman stories, as did Roger Stern and John Byrne. Terrible writers make him seem boring and irrelevant. Great writers have made his stories exciting and relevant.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:44 AM   #16
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Growing up in my circles young and older (elementary to high school) most disliked Supes because he was too perfect/ over powered. Flawed but righteous characters always were more popular.

Captain was totally different in comparison and way more likeable.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #17
qz33
Rescue

Ha had a whole bit about Captain America but restarted my PC before I posted.

Captain America and Superman are both white bread boy scouts but Cap still has to struggle with everyday life and regular obstacles. For Superman a hard day is almost having his secret identity exposed to Lois and it takes something Earth shattering for him to be challenged.

Superman is about wish fulfillment more than a character for writing.
When you're 3 years old that's how you want to be.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #18
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
When you're 3 years old that's how you want to be.
Hey now!.......I'd like to be like Supes.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:00 PM   #19
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Superman is not a has been. He never has been and he never will be. True, there have been great runs and bad runs but Superman is an iconic character and will be around for decades and centuries. He has one of the all time classic romances with Lois Lane in literature (and yes, I do feel that comics are literature) rivaling the great romances of the past few centuries and that is something that can never be put in a "has been" category.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #20
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Hey now!.......I'd like to be like Supes.
Oh we all would but the older people get the more they like to make believe they're "grown-up".