Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-19-2024, 02:29 PM   #29951
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

It does take a lot of effort to keep your body in that kind of shape. I recall Hugh Jackman explaining how hard he had to work to get into "Wolverine shape". Sure, actors like that are able to dedicate a lot of time to training because it's for their career and they're getting paid well for it, but still.
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 05:08 PM   #29952
Dan_Lebou
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post

Bob Marley: One Love (2024) - The story of how reggae icon Bob Marley overcame adversity, and the journey behind his revolutionary music.

This is a lot like the Freddy Mercury biopic, Bohemian Rhapsody--a mediocre film that nevertheless is a hit with the general public. 6/10
I saw this and one positive is that it's relatively short.

I admit that I've never really been into Bob Marley or his music (this was the wife's choice to watch) and this didn't change my mind about that. It also didn't help that the actor playing Bob was more charismatic than Bob ever was in any interviews I ever saw with him.
Dan_Lebou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 06:42 PM   #29953
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Lebou View Post
I saw this and one positive is that it's relatively short.

I admit that I've never really been into Bob Marley or his music (this was the wife's choice to watch) and this didn't change my mind about that. It also didn't help that the actor playing Bob was more charismatic than Bob ever was in any interviews I ever saw with him.
When the credits started rolling, I thought, "That's it?" It goes by very quickly, without getting too deep into Bob Marley which is one of the main criticisms I've read.

I liked the cameo by The Clash. I didn't expect to see them in the movie, but it shouldn't be a surprise if you know the song "Punky Reggae Party" that shows Bob was very aware of London's punk scene in the 70s.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 07:09 PM   #29954
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

A pair of Irish favorites for St. Patrick's Day:

Sing Street (2016) - A young lad notices a beautiful girl who begins to occupy his thoughts. While struggling with poverty, personal relationships and life's woes, he starts a band, hoping to catch her attention.

It's like if John Hughes made an 80s Breakfast Club-type movie in Dublin. And the new songs the band wrote are very good too. 9/10

The Guard (2011) - An unorthodox Irish policeman with a confrontational personality is partnered with an uptight F.B.I. agent to investigate an international drug-smuggling ring.

This is the only buddy cop movie in my library. I can't praise Brendan Gleeson enough. What a fantastic character he plays here. 8/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 07:21 PM   #29955
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

^ Those sound good, I'll keep them in mind
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:23 PM   #29956
BurningRage
The Maxx

Dream Scenario 8/10
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 09:13 PM   #29957
Frankierock
Inhumans

Ghostbusters- Frozen Empire 7/10

Giving it a low 7, definitely had its moments, and had many call backs to the OG movies, which I loved. Just felt like something was missing at times. Comedy was definitely an afterthought in this movie, again just didn’t feel it, felt forced.
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 12:09 AM   #29958
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Immaculate - 8/10

"The film follows a young woman (Sydney Sweeney) of devout faith, who is invited to reside at a picture-perfect Italian convent, but slowly realizes that the convent harbors terrifying secrets."

Very well acted slow burn, but extremely gruesome and creepy. Highly recommended if you are into these types of horror films.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 05:10 PM   #29959
ukshaun
Hercules

Pollock (2000)
8/10

The story of the painter Pollock. Ed Harris, Marcia Gay Harden, the whole cast are excellent!

Dune (2021)
7/10

Slow going. It made more sense than the 1984 Dune.
Compared to the more colorful 1984 release, the 2021 Dune features far less floaty fat man, which is shame.
I have time for both movies. I am looking forward to seeing Dune 2, maybe today
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 07:05 PM   #29960
BurningRage
The Maxx

Anatomy of a Fall 9/10
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote