Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-30-2019, 06:30 PM   #25801
Asgard
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Godzilla II: King of the Monsters 8/10
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:32 PM   #25802
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Haven't seen it, but this is exactly what I was expecting. In no hurry to see this one.
Definitely wait. Worth a look but not worth the cost of seeing it theatrically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I saw this movie a week ago, and i've been having a hard time putting my thoughts into words, but you nailed it, what you said is exactly what I felt about the movie, and I was even going to rate it 6/10

I figured this movie would appeal moreso to non-comic book fans because of the realism, but even my sister who I saw it with did not like it, all I can say is overrated and overhyped
My fiancé wanted to see this more than me and the Joker is my favorite villain of all time. I’d have been content waiting for the Blu-ray. As it turns out she HATED the film. I looked over at her mid-way through and I could see it on her face... she literally wanted to leave. Not because it was disturbing (she’s seen much worse and hasn’t even squirmed) but as someone who has a mentally ill family member she felt like they were glorifying his behavior and drumming up sympathy for him. While I didn’t necessarily feel the same I totally understood her reasoning.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:42 PM   #25803
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
thats why I only put #1 and #2 on the list lol
Lol, the last one wasn’t my idea. My wife figured if the the first two were good then the last one had to be good too. I’m slowly teaching her about expectations vs reality when it comes to modern movie making.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:39 PM   #25804
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

The Thing From Another World (1951) - 7/10

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - 8/10
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:26 PM   #25805
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Joker - 6/10

More or less what I expected. Less a film about the Joker, more a film about mental illness and the ugly side of society. My problem with this film is not once did I feel like I was actually watching the character of the Joker. I get that his transformation doesn’t really occur until the climax but even then it simply felt like Joaquin Phoenix acting (kinda) like the Joker. Don’t get me wrong he’s an accomplished actor who I’ve always enjoyed but to me it’s not an award winning performance either. The fascination with anointing every actor who delves into a role of a mentally ill or handicapped person is lost on me. The film moves at a painfully slow pace, tries WAY too hard to be disturbing and to me isn’t anywhere near as smart as it thinks it is.

Moving at a slow pace is an understatement. I didn't like this movie at all.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:25 PM   #25806
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:

My fiancé wanted to see this more than me and the Joker is my favorite villain of all time. I’d have been content waiting for the Blu-ray. As it turns out she HATED the film. I looked over at her mid-way through and I could see it on her face... she literally wanted to leave. Not because it was disturbing (she’s seen much worse and hasn’t even squirmed) but as someone who has a mentally ill family member she felt like they were glorifying his behavior and drumming up sympathy for him. While I didn’t necessarily feel the same I totally understood her reasoning.
my sister made the same comment about this movie glorifying mental illness and it being used as a justification for murder, I too dont know if I feel the same way but I can see the point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Lol, the last one wasn’t my idea. My wife figured if the the first two were good then the last one had to be good too. I’m slowly teaching her about expectations vs reality when it comes to modern movie making.
lol that is a hard lesson to learn, but one that is best learnt as soon as possible!
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:33 PM   #25807
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:

I wanted to leave as well but for some odd reason my son liked the movie. At least he liked it. I thought it was terrible.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:35 PM   #25808
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
Godzilla II: King of the Monsters 8/10
Freaking loved that movie!
KaraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:44 PM   #25809
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Joker - 6/10

More or less what I expected. Less a film about the Joker, more a film about mental illness and the ugly side of society. My problem with this film is not once did I feel like I was actually watching the character of the Joker.
Exactly why I have no desire to see this
KaraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:45 PM   #25810
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Halloween horror fest movies #38-42!

Jamie Lee Scream Queen Marathon

Halloween (1978) - 9.5/10
Halloween II (1981) - 8.5/10
The Fog (1980) - 7.5/10
Prom Night (1980) - first half 3/10, last half 7/10
Terror Train (1980) - 7/10

no time to write detailed reviews today since its Halloween! happy Halloween everyone!
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote