Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 06-16-2014, 03:44 AM   #11
richardandtracy
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Oh sugar.
That news is a real disappointment.

Will have to think long and hard whether I have the space, and save up longer & harder if I have. 1:6 is a nice size to fit in the display cabinets we have.

Regards,

Richard
richardandtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #12
charger30
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Any more new on Urano's Drop
charger30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #13
richardandtracy

Uranos Drops, Cross Stitch

While waiting for this statue to be officially announced/produced I got inspired. I have a little hobby of sitting in front of the TV with the family doing cross stitch. Thought this image would be out of the general run of images, and asked permission to stitch it via one of the Luis Royo websites, finally obtaining permission from Pilar San Martin at www.royo-royo.com who had contacted Luis Royo. That was July.

Yesterday I finished the 10394 stitch picture:

The stitched picture is 7.5" x 18.7"H (19 x 47.5cm) and will be about the size of the 1:4 scale statue.

It filled in some of the time while waiting for anything concrete on the statue... Would love some news on it.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #14
Vallos
Jubilee

Can you inform me on the process of cross stitching? It sounds complicated, and from what I see looks good.
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:08 AM   #15
richardandtracy

Cross stitching is far from complicated.
A cross stitch picture is like building up a digital picture. At each pixel location you put a small cross of thread of the correct colour, then next to it you put another cross of a different colour and so on, following a chart.
Creating the chart is actually the hard bit, which is why most people doing cross stitch either buy a chart or ready made kit with the chart, thread and fabric included. Obviously, with the 'Uranos Drops' picture, no chart was available and I had to create it from scratch. Charts can be done either by hand, or with the aid of some software. If done by hand you draw the picture you want on graph paper and allocate thread colours (from the 448 shades available from DMC or lower number from other makers) to each square that represents a cross. If you use software, you can usually take any computer image, edit the image to remove information you don't want, then convert it to the size and colours you want to stitch. I used software.

The software to make charts can be free or paid for, I started with a free piece of software called 'Ryijy Stitch Designer', which can be downloaded here: http://code.google.com/p/ryijy/
However, I have since written my own software to do the job and extend what can be done to enable the outlining to be defined too. That is available as a free download - the first download down on this page: http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk/misc/downloads.html

I can usually stitch at a rate of 100 crosses an hour, though on this image, due to the sheer number of colours close together in the figure's leggings and small size of stitches (approx. 1.6mm across), I probably averaged closer to 60 per hour. This puts a limit to the size of computer image that can be conveniently stitched up. A 300 x 240 image will take a year or so if you do 2 hours a day every day...

If you'd like to look at a progress thread for this cross stitch picture as I stitched it up on another forum, it's here: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/view...hp?f=6&t=25792
There are lots of other amazingly detailed pictures being stitched up on that forum, but unfortunately I've yet to see another Luis Royo.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #16
Vallos
Jubilee

Thanks. This is all informative and interesting. Thanks for the links! Have you thought about doing his finished paintings?
Old 10-16-2014, 03:25 AM   #17
richardandtracy

I have thought about doing some of his paintings, however until I wrote my own software colour conversion routine last month, I have not been comfortable with the conversion process. Most of the Luis Royo paintings have a low tonal range, and as a result this leads to a lot of wide visible contours in the colours. Now I have my own software that can handle dithering between the colours (and I was really surprised at how easy it was to implement), I can start seriously considering some of his paintings.

At the moment the Malefic Time March 2015 calendar image is one I really like ( http://malefictime.com/en/tag/malefic-time-2015/ ). However, my wife has been complaining about me stitching up too many 'Near Naked Women' recently, and as a concession to her, my next project is a 44000 stitch portrait of her I took on honeymoon 23 years ago. The portrait will take up most of 2015.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #18
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallos View Post
Yamato is not playing around!

Sketch of the statue:

Can you re post the images, thanks
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #19
Vallos
Jubilee

Unfortunately, the links are broken.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:10 AM   #20
richardandtracy

I kept a copy of the Luis Royo sketch (had permission to keep & modify the image for the cross stitch from Pilar San Martin):

The full painting can be seen through Google Images : https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...77.hCBis7LA9g0

Regards,

Richard