Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-30-2020, 11:16 PM   #11
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Hmmm... there are a few mentioned here that would make my cut...

1.) Lucky Number Slevin
2.) The Accountant
3.) Get Carter (Stallone)
4.) Watchmen

And I would continue with...

5.) Nighthawks - Stallone in one of his best roles early on
6.) A Good Year - Not big on RomComs, but this ONE!! Ridley Scott directing with Russell Crowe. Just charming
7.) Silent Running - Still in a dead heat with Blade Runner for similar reasons. Bruce Dern at his unhinged best. Beautiful score by P.D.Q. Bach (Peter Schickele)
8.) Nobody's Fool (1994) - Paul Newman steeped, brewed and aged to perfection. Really, one of his best performances (and he's had a lot of 'em).
9.) Grosse Pointe Blank - Loved this movie. John Cusack and Minnie Driver are great. This would be a great double-header pairing with Sam Rockwell's "Mr. Right".
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:55 AM   #12
ukshaun
Hercules

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006)

I stumbled across the DVD in a used film store, and thought i'd give it a whirl. Not expecting much, it was a surprise to see the scale of the opening sequence set in a Victorian market square. It amounted to big budget epic. The slightly morbid odd story made for a change.

Looking on IMDb it appears to divide many. 1/10 or 10/10 ? ..i'd probably give it 7.2/10
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:36 PM   #13
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

agreed with everyone that said Watchmen, criminally underrated!! one of my all-time favorite superhero movies, and just one of my all-time favorite movies in general (especially the director's cut) Just like the graphic novel before it, there is nothing quite like this movie
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:37 PM   #14
Python
Omega Red

Alien 3.

I love Aliens as much as the next guy, but in many ways, Alien 3 was the better movie relative to what the first movie established for the franchise. Aliens made the xenos disposable cannon fodder. Alien 3 took the brave step to immediately kick the audience in the nuts and remind us all that they always win ultimately. Then it gave us the beautiful and terrifying Dog that was neither disposable or fodder. It savagely hunted everybody, just as the original Big chap had. I get why people didn't enjoy this after the action show piece that was Aliens, but I think it's a wonderful little movie with a perfectly grim setting and a fantastic cast.

The Phantom Menace.

Bare with me here and put away those pitch forks Again, I get why many people don't love this one. Compared to the original trilogy it was very different. I was 13 when this released, maybe that's why I was more accepting, although I adored the original trilogy even then, I wore out my VHS copies long before 1999. But for every complaint I have about this movie of which there are plenty (Jar Jar, the odd slap stick element etc etc) There is something else to love. Of all the prequel trilogy, this one has the most practical effects, and the least wooden love story. It has a cracking soundtrack. A fearsome and memorable villain. The best fight scenes we'd seen in the franchise at that time in the duel of fates. wonderful vehicle designs, decent character designs. A fricking awesome Pod race and generally good production and visual quality etc for its time. I'm 33 now, it's hard to believe that 20 years have passed since I sat excitedly watching this in the Showcase with my uncle and a huge grin on my face from the moment that great looking cruiser passed the camera for the opening scene. But I still watch this movie regularly, and every time I sit and wonder why it receives so much hatred. If Disney have done anything for Star Wars, it should be to help people appreciate that George and his prequels weren't so bad after all...

Fully agree on Predator 2 and Dredd also, although I'm not sure Dredd is underrated? It's fairly loved in many circles now, it just under performed due to various reasons. Heck it's one of my favorite movies, and even I didn't watch it in the cinema as I can't stand 3d.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:32 PM   #15
SONICobra
Batman

see that was one of the absolute marketing failures for dredd, you could see it in non 3D in theaters (at least where i was living) even though all the posters only said "DREDD 3D". and while everyone who sees it does seem to love it, the property doesnt get much love imo. the pcs statues while awesome and well priced took forever to sell out, talk of a sequel or even animated sequel disappeared due to lack of interest. i will continue to spread the good word until more people have seen this masterpiece

and i agree about the phantom menace, loved everything but anything gungan related and most of anakins dialogue
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:20 PM   #16
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Alien 3.

I love Aliens as much as the next guy, but in many ways, Alien 3 was the better movie relative to what the first movie established for the franchise. Aliens made the xenos disposable cannon fodder. Alien 3 took the brave step to immediately kick the audience in the nuts and remind us all that they always win ultimately. Then it gave us the beautiful and terrifying Dog that was neither disposable or fodder. It savagely hunted everybody, just as the original Big chap had. I get why people didn't enjoy this after the action show piece that was Aliens, but I think it's a wonderful little movie with a perfectly grim setting and a fantastic cast.
I agree! The irony is that this was in my original draft of the OP, but I chickened out and substituted "Three Days of the Condor".

"6.) Alien 3 - I initially dismissed it as just a lame rehash of the original. Fast forward to several revisits and years later and I began to appreciate what Fincher was actually going for. I was wrong about his film."
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:38 PM   #17
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Three other movies I just thought of that are totally underrated are “Romeo is Bleeding” and the Brian Depalma greats “Body Double” and “Dressed to Kill”
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:24 AM   #18
Python
Omega Red

While being honest here. I always quite liked Star Trek Nemesis...
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #19
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

"Snatch" and "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels"
Old 04-13-2020, 11:44 AM   #20
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

I can't believe I forgot the 1984 remake of "The Razor's Edge" with Bill Murray in a rare for him dramatic role. I love this movie and like it better than both the novel and the 1946 original with Tyrone Power.