Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 01-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
Andrew
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
Adamantium Plus Member

SOTA Oni Statue

Street Fighter
SOTA
1/6 Scale Oni Statue

State of the Art Toys (SOTA) has stepped back into the 1/6 scale ring after a long hiatus to bring us Oni. This imposing statue is by far SOTA's greatest effort to date and it seems no expense was spared in trying to replicate this character into statue form. But does the effort pay off and is it worth your time and money? Let's take a look!

"How much is this thing and what do I get for my money?"

SOTA sells this statue directly from their website for $174.99, though right now it is still possible to find it from other online retailers for slightly less. For your money you get a brown shipping box, a colored product box, a statue, a base, and a wall plug with USB adapter. The wall plug is for the light up feature which we will get to later.

My statue came packaged very well and did not have any breaks or damage. The styrofoam is of high quality and the base, statue, and wall plug are all protected by plastic.

"What's the base look like?"

SOTA has never been known for plain straight forward bases and this statue is no exception. Oni stands on a very detailed crater with molten rock under his feet. The base has the effect of being very visually appealing, yet not so much that it takes away from the statue that sits on top of it. Behind the base is the female end where the plug gets attached.

"Okay, enough foreplay, show me the statue!"

Let me just cut to the chase on this. The statue is amazing! From the size, to the paint, to the light up feature, this Oni statue rarely disappoints.

The pictures pretty much speak for themselves in my opinion. SOTA stayed very true to form with this character interpretation and as a result the statue is that much more enjoyable to look at. The visual flare in the translucent flames adds a level of detail that only helps this piece stand out.

As mentioned before and as you can tell from the pictures, SOTA has incorporated a light up feature. At every point where flames shoot from Oni's body, there is an LED that lights it up. Oni's hair and eyes also light up as well as the molten rock under his feet. This is a really well done feature and as you can see from the pictures, the lights are VERY bright. Another great feature is that a wall plug is the power source for the lights, so you could leave this thing plugged in all the time and not worry about having to constantly replace the batteries.

The sculpt itself is nicely done and has a decent amount of detail. Oni's hair, face, muscles, and rope belt stand out the most and really define the character well.

"Wow, this statue must be perfect!"

Well no, unfortunately there are a few flaws to point out;

The light up feature is very well done overall, but I don't like how the lights on the flames are extremely bright at the beginning and quickly fade away throughout the rest of the flame near the end. There is one flame on his abdomen, that when viewed straight on, is almost blinding from how bright the LED is. There also is not an on/off switch for the lights. You either have the plug inserted into the statue for 'on' or unplugged from the statue for 'off'.

Oni's feet are huge! I mean noticeably large to the point where I thought Shaquille O'Neal must have been part of this statue's license. Okay, maybe not that big, but they are pretty big.

There are two spots where some paint went past the point where it was meant to be applied, but overall not very noticeable and is probably specific to my statue.

"So overall, are you happy with the purchase?"

Absolutely! SOTA's attempt at Oni was a huge success! I very much like this statue and I feel it was worth the money that I spent on it. Despite a few negatives this statue is a must have for any Street Fighter fan. Even those not intimately familiar with the Street Fighter universe can enjoy this statue given the characters background, appearance, and the overall aesthetics in the statue itself.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
Andrew
Adamantium Plus Member

Old 01-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
Andrew
Adamantium Plus Member

Old 01-25-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
Andrew
Adamantium Plus Member

Old 01-25-2013, 04:00 AM   #5
darkdealx
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Good review
darkdealx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
RAGINGDEMON500
Birdman

wow great review, and im glad you got it in A+++ condition...If you have ordered from BBTS or any other retailer it would have come broken prob,so it was a right thing for you to get it straight from SOTA ....BTW GREAT SHOTS....
RAGINGDEMON500 is offline   Reply With Quote