Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 12:33 AM   #91
Atlantisatdawn
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

So you just said freedom of speech doesn't really exist,and people should expect punishment for their opinions, and she should know things are "sensitive" right now ( when are they not for some people?) and if anyone disagrees with YOUR freedom of speech/ opinion, their just cherry picking, ok you seem like a fair minded person
Old 02-11-2021, 12:44 AM   #92
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I am all for freedom of speech, having different political views, and mask-wearing choice (and I will judge your ass for not wearing one, but to each their own) but she literally compared being a Republican to being a Jew during the Holocaust and posted a graphic historical image of a Jewish woman being chased by a mob with clubs.

That is the line and she crossed it. Buh bye.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:50 AM   #93
MechWestern
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Honestly, I'm surprised Disney kept her on as long as they did...
Old 02-11-2021, 01:38 AM   #94
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I am all for freedom of speech, having different political views, and mask-wearing choice (and I will judge your ass for not wearing one, but to each their own) but she literally compared being a Republican to being a Jew during the Holocaust and posted a graphic historical image of a Jewish woman being chased by a mob with clubs.

It’s true though. You can’t be a Republican in Hollywood and get work. You see they are impeaching a guy that no longer has the job so he can never try and get it again (on the most flimsy of basis at that). They have even suggested re-education for his supporters.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:40 AM   #95
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
The reception for this statue was tepid at best. Not sure this situation helps it at all. No I don't think ES was announced.
Plus the likeness could use some work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
Get over the stupid political catchphrases.

She said an idiotic thing and has no one to blame but herself for being fired from the show. If she didn't have that voice in her brain telling her "Hey you know what things are pretty sensitive right now, maybe I shouldn't say this" then she 100% deserves what happened.

But at the end of the day a lot of people just can't help themselves. They crave drama, they crave attention, and they crave acting like somehow someway they're "above" things and can do/say whatever they want. No.....you can't. What do you define as "forming a spine" in situations like this? Just letting people say whatever they want/whenever they want and have the mentality of "Yep she represents us/is employed by us but you know she can say anything she wants and there's nothing we can do about it." Freedom of Speech has never, nor will ever exist in the way that some people choose to frame it. Nor should it. If you say idiotic things, then there should be consequences. Anyone who disagrees with that is just cherry picking the things they choose to define as idiotic.

As for the statue if they're not far along in the production process, surely it will be cancelled. Disney will probably tell them regardless to axe it.
Gina wasn't craving attention. She was sucked into a situation. She's been harassed by a social media mob for about a year now because she didn't have pronouns on her profile. Most people don't even know what that means. And the media has been harping 24/7 about people wanting her fired. So I guess it escalated from there. I'm sure she'd rather get back to interacting with fans instead of fending off a mob. Now the mob is celebrating her firing. That's cool. Fire everyone. Who needs movies or sports or video games anyways?

Also, half the MCU actors and comic book writers say stupid things and trash fans. Yet it's silence. At least be fair with your firings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post

You may have interpreted it that way. I interpreted her comment to reference the start of the atrocity (not the end result) with neighbors turning on each other. Some similarities are starting here. People have been fed lies by the elites and are now in terror. As a result, neighbors are killing and beating people over a mask and a red hat. They want to deprogram people, whatever that means. But I think she should just stop being a strong woman and not say anything at all. This is the way. At least they didn't fire Chris Pratt and Rosario.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:07 AM   #96
jasonsz1034
Fantastic Four

People constantly get freedom of speech and speech without consequences mixed up. I can’t go on social media and call my boss a dumbass, and be surprised if I get fired the next day. Gina Carano can’t go on social media and trivialize the Holocaust by comparing it with the plight of rightwingers, and then be surprised when she gets fired from a company who’s executive chairman is a Jew.

There’s no stopping FoxNews or OANN from coming up with their own sci-fi IP, and hiring Carano to star in it. I won’t watch it, but that’s what makes America great. The reality is that Hollywood is a diverse industry, and making divisive and hateful remarks will limit your career opportunities. That has nothing to do with freedom of speech.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:22 AM   #97
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsz1034 View Post
People constantly get freedom of speech and speech without consequences mixed up. I can’t go on social media and call my boss a dumbass, and be surprised if I get fired the next day. Gina Carano can’t go on social media and trivialize the Holocaust by comparing it with the plight of rightwingers, and then be surprised when she gets fired from a company who’s executive chairman is a Jew.

There’s no stopping FoxNews or OANN from coming up with their own sci-fi IP, and hiring Carano to star in it. I won’t watch it, but that’s what makes America great. The reality is that Hollywood is a diverse industry, and making divisive and hateful remarks will limit your career opportunities. That has nothing to do with freedom of speech.
You couldn’t be more wrong. You are endorsing the slippery slope here. You are also empowering the mob/cancel culture that blows this stuff up. Of course, there is no mob when Brie Larsen says stupid crap.

In any event, I just ordered this PF. Going to be the only representation we get of her, and that’s a shame. Guess I’m in on the other PF’s too for display purposes.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:32 AM   #98
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsz1034 View Post

I don't feel that's what she did, but we all interpret things differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
You couldn’t be more wrong. You are endorsing the slippery slope here. You are also empowering the mob/cancel culture that blows this stuff up. Of course, there is no mob when Brie Larsen says stupid crap.

In any event, I just ordered this PF. Going to be the only representation we get of her, and that’s a shame. Guess I’m in on the other PF’s too for display purposes.
I didn't PO the statue, but canceled my Disney subscription. Their properties won't be getting any more of my money. They've done too many shady things in the past few years. Also, it's getting ridiculous that these mobs are ruining sports, comics, shows, and now video games. What is there left to enjoy?
Old 02-11-2021, 02:55 AM   #99
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:

Well technically freedom of speech only covers government reprisal. As far as Bree Larson was concerned there was a mob, however her employer decided to side with her. An obvious difference between these two instances.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:10 AM   #100
jasonsz1034
Fantastic Four

Quote:

Assuming you agree with Carano’s Holocaust analogy (or at least disagree with her getting fired for making it), where does this slippery slope lead us? First you get fired for what you say on social media, then they start jailing you for those same ‘speech crimes’, then it’s off to re-education sessions, and then death camps? Is that the existential crisis facing conservatives today??? As a liberal leaning thinker, all I can say is I’d be on the frontlines fighting against something like that from ever happening. But...getting fired for saying dumb sh*t in public? No objections with that.

There’s already legal limits on free speech, which I don’t think anyone disagrees with. You can’t yell fire in a crowded theatre and not expect to face legal jeopardy if someone gets trampled to death because you yelled it. You can’t inflame a crowd blocks away from The Capitol and use rhetoric like “fight like hell to save your country” or “trial by combat” and not expect to face political jeopardy when a Capitol police officer dies by someone in that crowd you inflamed..

As for the Cara Dune PF, I actually like the character and thought it was the perfect vehicle for Carano’s limited acting ability. This controversy is either going to lead to the statue getting cancelled outright, or become a hot collectible item (and political symbol) for a very specific group of collectors. Unfortunately I don’t collect based on projected value, and the likeness just doesn’t work for me.
Closed Thread